2021 4th round pick is Marco Wilson CB

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As far as I know this was a widespread impression. Nobody can figure out this guy. I guess you could argue it’s better than taking a poor athlete but it’s always frustrating to me to see guys wasting this level of talent. As for him being a gunner, measurables say yes, but that’s a highly motivated position and that phrase doesn’t come up on this guy’s evals.

I see all his measurables and imagine the work it took to reach that peak of excellence and can come up with only one term to define this personal effort.

MOTIVATION.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This "not motivated" idea needs to end here. Anyone that know Gator football will tell you he's incredibly hard working. Does everything right. Works hard in school. Stays late at practice.

Set fire to the idea he is where he is because he doesn't put the work in.

Well living in Fl and watching every Gator game this year, I disagree. It might be how you define motivation. I think what a player does in action speaks loudly about their level of motivation. I can think of at least a couple of times he completely lost contact with his assigned target when that receiver went deep. Motivated players are focused. Aren’t motivated players usually good tacklers. I didn’t see him that way.

As to being a hard worker, I’m interested in evaluating game play. Let’s look at his pro day numbers. He put up numbers better than many of the CBs taken early. Why if he works so hard, is a better athlete and goes to a school with front line coaches, was he still on the board late into round 4, especially since he plays a hard to fill position. Have I ever seen such a player develop? Yes, but I don’t like the odds. I think the rest us are entitled to our own opinion of when to abandon questioning motivation.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wait hold on

he threw a shoe at someone?

Not at someone. A LSU player lost his shoe during a play. Wilson was pumped up as they stopped LSU from getting a first down and the game was over. So he decides to pick up the shoe and chuck it 30 yards down the field. Hes flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct and LSU ends up getting the first and eventually kicks the game winning field goal.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at someone. A LSU player lost his shoe during a play. Wilson was pumped up as they stopped LSU from getting a first down and the game was over. So he decides to pick up the shoe and chuck it 30 yards down the field. Hes flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct and LSU ends up getting the first and eventually kicks the game winning field goal.

Cost his team a win. Kind of sounds like a player the Bengals would pick up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well living in Fl and watching every Gator game this year, I disagree. It might be how you define motivation. I think what a player does in action speaks loudly about their level of motivation. I can think of at least a couple of times he completely lost contact with his assigned target when that receiver went deep. Motivated players are focused. Aren’t motivated players usually good tacklers. I didn’t see him that way.

As to being a hard worker, I’m interested in evaluating game play. Let’s look at his pro day numbers. He put up numbers better than many of the CBs taken early. Why if he works so hard, is a better athlete and goes to a school with front line coaches, was he still on the board late into round 4, especially since he plays a hard to fill position. Have I ever seen such a player develop? Yes, but I don’t like the odds. I think the rest us are entitled to our own opinion of when to abandon questioning motivation.

If I had to put money on it I'd say over confidence in ability. Not only from himself but from his coaches.

A 4 star recruit with a bunch of offers. Came in and started as a Freshman right away. I think along the way they forgot he needed coaching up. I think they had this super athletic 4 star kid and skipped the coaching bit.

Too much "You're the man" and not enough "You need to work on this"

That's speculation from me but it wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, for a 4th I'm well pleased.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cost his team a win. Kind of sounds like a player the Bengals would pick up.

I felt sorry for the kid. He just made a game winning tackle. He's pumped up as are all his team. The cleat is right there in front of him and it was just instinct. I thought was a bit harsh to be fair.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those that don't follow the SEC, he was probably a 2nd round pick in 2020 if he came out pre shoe throw.

Just an incredible physical talent.

Its fair to say he had a down year but then it was a weird year and Florida as a whole were disappointing.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
If we take Ardarius Washington in a few picks, I'm a happy man.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Its gotta be Trey Smith unless he has brain cancer or something. Otherwise I can't understand why he's still there.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very undersized college safety with low-end size and high-end play traits. Washington falls well below the desired measurables for a safety, but he plays with outstanding instincts and aggression in everything he does. He has good foot quickness and really reads play development and quarterback intentions with clear eyes. He's quicker than fast and there is some concern about how he will match up down the field against NFL size. He's a physical striker when he plays near the line, but can be pushed around by big bodies at times. Several teams will scratch him from their boards based on his size, but a move to nickel cornerback with man or zone talent could help him find NFL snaps regardless of stature.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very undersized college safety with low-end size and high-end play traits. Washington falls well below the desired measurables for a safety, but he plays with outstanding instincts and aggression in everything he does. He has good foot quickness and really reads play development and quarterback intentions with clear eyes. He's quicker than fast and there is some concern about how he will match up down the field against NFL size. He's a physical striker when he plays near the line, but can be pushed around by big bodies at times. Several teams will scratch him from their boards based on his size, but a move to nickel cornerback with man or zone talent could help him find NFL snaps regardless of stature.

Seems the description of a former Cardinals player, adams

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Don't like how he gives up the inside on this play. He has to know that he has no help.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Don't like how he gives up the inside on this play. He has to know that he has no help.

I mean, what CB is going to win 1 on 1 with no safety help vs the #12 pick?

What was that defensive alignment? You could put a top 10 NFL corner in there and he would get beat.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got to be worth it at this spot. Bar far the most talented guy left.

Round 6 talent likely to wash out anyway.
Wouldn’t say most talented guy left. Dylan Moses still up there.

To be fair, I’m not touching a guy with blood clots either regardless of round. That’s scary as hell.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson