2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, not a denial we have no plans to be competitive any time soon.

You don't build winning teams solely through the draft. It doesn't work. Repudiating FA year after year will get you losing teams. You also don't build winning teams solely through FA. That's how you get an expensive loser. Good teams build through the draft and wisely sign a few key FAs every offseason (mark that as every offseason) and sprinkle in the lunch pail FA signings every offseason. They also trade wisely in and out of the draft. So far, we're only willing to engage in one aspect of the process. Monti must rectify that moving forward.

They do have a plan, and I do believe they will be competing the the division in 2024.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They do have a plan, and I do believe they will be competing the the division in 2024.
How? Do you think honestly think two drafts and a modest FA player or two next year is enough? Especially given we might trade one of those firsts for future draft capital beyond next year?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How? Do you think honestly think two drafts and a modest FA player or two next year is enough? Especially given we might trade one of those firsts for future draft capital beyond next year?

You have absolutely no idea what FA will look like next year, nor how either this years or next years draft classes will work out. You've created a fantasy scenario where we are only signing one or two modest FA's and trading draft picks.

It's not at all difficult to see how we can be competetive next year with the resources we have available. We were 11-6 in 2021 with a roster far worse than what could be possible next year.

But none of that particularly matters because being good or not will always come down to Kyler, and whether he is good or not.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I bet you dollars to donuts that we are a bottom 10 team in 2024.

I don't even think they TRY in 2024. IMO this is a two year tank job.

Buckle up buttercup.

If we're even legitimately competitive in 2025, it means we drafted very well... but I do think that they will at least be trying to win at that stage.

Stout

Reaction score
You have absolutely no idea what FA will look like next year, nor how either this years or next years draft classes will work out. You've created a fantasy scenario where we are only signing one or two modest FA's and trading draft picks.

It's not at all difficult to see how we can be competetive next year with the resources we have available. We were 11-6 in 2021 with a roster far worse than what could be possible next year.

But none of that particularly matters because being good or not will always come down to Kyler, and whether he is good or not.
You're contradicting yourself because you paint a bleak FA picture next year then argue the opposite here. But, not wanting to start (yet another) board-dominating argument, I'll just put a hard disagree here. My opinion is on the record many times. We'll see how it plays out.

Stout

Reaction score

Buckle up buttercup.

If we're even legitimately competitive in 2025, it means we drafted very well... but I do think that they will at least be trying to win at that stage.
This.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sadly, I don't think the 2024 FA group is all that good. Especially where we need guys. CB group sucks. WR is weak. Edge is ok but I expect the better ones will be resigned. DT group is solid rather than spectacular but overall I don't see any stars.

Yup. I don't expect much in FA. This FO seems keen to build through the draft and supplement with FA. I'd expect a bunch of money to carry over into 2025.

Maybe they make 2-3 starter level signings but I wouldn't expect a frenzy.

I feel like I'm living in a crazy house sometimes. It's difficult to imagine how a team goes from 3-14 to competing in the division (I'd define that roughly as 8 wins or more) in one season without being active in free agency.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I feel like I'm living in a crazy house sometimes. It's difficult to imagine how a team goes from 3-14 to competing in the division (I'd define that roughly as 8 wins or more) in one season without being active in free agency.

Who did the Jaguars pick up last year, went from back to back #1 picks to coming shy to taking down the reigning NFL champs in the divisional.

Not the norm, sure, but still.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Who did the Jaguars pick up last year, went from back to back #1 picks to coming shy to taking down the reigning NFL champs in the divisional.

Jacksonville Jaguars 2022 Free Agency included G Brandon Scherff, WR Christian Kirk, TE Evan Engram, WR Zay Jones, CB Darious Williams, WR Laquon Treadwell, and DE Arden Key.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jacksonville Jaguars 2022 Free Agency included G Brandon Scherff, WR Christian Kirk, TE Evan Engram, WR Zay Jones, CB Darious Williams, WR Laquon Treadwell, and DE Arden Key.
Kudos to you for answering. I didn't think it was an actual ask.

I don't know why, but I am actually shocked at how many board members are happy with this "plan". The more I think about it, the more I just get bummed out by it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I don't know why, but I am actually shocked at how many board members are happy with this "plan". The more I think about it, the more I just get bummed out by it.
I'm an absolute pervert for information and proving or disproving out theories. I hope I'm wrong and the path back to the playoffs is shorter than I believe. If there's an alternative model, I'd love to hear it and dig around.

It took me like five seconds to google Jacksonville Jaguars 20022 Free Agency and get the link. Everything else was copy and paste.

Stout

Reaction score

Ayup. I think it's ABK syndrome: Anybody (or anything) But Keim.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're contradicting yourself because you paint a bleak FA picture next year then argue the opposite here. But, not wanting to start (yet another) board-dominating argument, I'll just put a hard disagree here. My opinion is on the record many times. We'll see how it plays out.

No, I'm not.

I said yesterday's FA group wasn't great in areas we need such as CB. But that there will be good players cut or available for trade.

Also, we don't know what our needs will be in FA next year. If we draft McKinstry next year then unlikely we need a top CB in FA for example.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Buckle up buttercup.

ok, bookmark this one.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, imagine missing a crap load of starters, including at one point 7 first team offensive players, and then imagine getting them back.

Next years FA group isn't great BUT there will be good players added to this via cut or trade.

I don't think we will go on a 10 FA spree, but I think we will sign 2-3 good quality vets to supplement a strong draft.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So one good Guard. A WR nobody here wanted to resign. An oft injured TE on a prove it deal. And a bunch of guys that nobody in their right mind would consider top FA signings.

If the Cards signed the equivalent of this list next year you would be raging.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What plan is that?

I say this fully aware that nobody here has the first clue what the plan is.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well, imagine missing a crap load of starters, including at one point 7 first team offensive players, and then imagine getting them back.

Next years FA group isn't great BUT there will be good players added to this via cut or trade.

I don't think we will go on a 10 FA spree, but I think we will sign 2-3 good quality vets to supplement a strong draft.
But we're obviously not getting DHop, Hudson, A.J. Green, or Justin Pugh back. So, what am I imagining?

I don't understand how people can hold the concepts of "We were actually good in 2022 except for injuries" and "we obviously needed to tear the roster down to the studs" in their minds at the same time.

Stout

Reaction score
But we're obviously not getting DHop, Hudson, A.J. Green, or Justin Pugh back. So, what am I imagining?

I don't understand how people can hold the concepts of "We were actually good in 2022 except for injuries" and "we obviously needed to tear the roster down to the studs" in their minds at the same time.
Yep.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't either. But at the same time, you think that this team could have competed next year if we had a good offseason. Different people see different things I guess.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I am actually shocked at how many board members are happy with this "plan".
happy is way too strong a word for me

i am...... accepting (?) kinda "meh". i have always viewed 2023 as the reset year

i would be happy had they signed an experienced NFL center and Zach Allen

that feels like a more coherent plan: make sure the o-line it solid for when Kyler gets back and a fair evaluation can be made / keep a rising young player who looks tailor made to be a DE in JGs 4-3 system.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Christian Kirk, thats who.

I actually think Pederson gets almost too much credit for the turn around. I think their top 4 or 5 players in terms of offensive production weren't on the team in 2021. Despite the Urban drama, not many coaches would be winning with Marvin Jones, Laviska Shenault and Laquan Treadwell as their top 3 receivers. Their #1 target in 2021 became their #4 target in 2022.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose