2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Many on this board would do well to curb FA expectations next year because of this, and because of the talent level of the FA class as Brit alluded to. I do expect the Cardinals to pursue a couple FAs but I believe it would be foolish to assume they will be able to add multiple, high level starters next year. I also won't be shocked if Conner sticks as the starting RB in 2024.

Like it or not, Monti is counting on multiple players from this draft class making an impact this year. Cardinals only have on meaningful FA in 2024. I have to imagine after 2023, Gannon and Monti will sit down and figure out what young players they want to extend.

FWIW, I think that Pascal and White are/will be meaningful FA acquisitions this year. Not in winning games, but I expect both to play +60% of the snaps. Maybe Froholdt, also. Those are real additions.

I've said this before, but I think Monti doesn't trust anyone in college or pro personnel right now. Bloodbath is coming in the front office. It's gonna take time for new folks to figure out this roster.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
FWIW, I think that Pascal and White are/will be meaningful FA acquisitions this year. Not in winning games, but I expect both to play +60% of the snaps. Maybe Froholdt, also. Those are real additions.

I've said this before, but I think Monti doesn't trust anyone in college or pro personnel right now. Bloodbath is coming in the front office. It's gonna take time for new folks to figure out this roster.
Not real additions; real roster space holders. Real snap takers. These are not foundational pieces that will drive the team into the future. They're stop gaps at best--mostly not that either, except in a numbers capacity. The only "real" additions we made were in the draft, and probably only one or two.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not real additions; real roster space holders. Real snap takers. These are not foundational pieces that will drive the team into the future. They're stop gaps at best--mostly not that either, except in a numbers capacity. The only "real" additions we made were in the draft, and probably only one or two.

I dunno. White is 27 years old; Pascal is 28. Both those guys could be here in three years. It's entirely possible that both of these guys are starters on the Cards' next playoff team.

There's an argument that every NFL team is going to have six stars; the difference between the teams that bubble into the playoffs and then sink back down and the ones who are always in the championship hunt is (1) how your stars are distributed at the most important positions, and (2) how many B- players or better are stacked after your stars.

You can make a reasonable case that the Kingsbury Cardinals fell apart because they over-invested in off-ball linebacker and safety at the expense of offensive line and cornerback. But also because the guys behind their stars were either too young or Billy Price/Kelvin Beachum.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh. That makes Monti's decision to punt on 2023 FA even worse. A lot of folks have been banking on next year's FA gets; this sounds bleak.

There are always plenty of other players that get cut for cap reasons or get traded for a bag of chips. Guys like Hopkins, Za'Darius Smith etc

But it's not like 2023 was any great shakes either. The best CB on the market was Jamel Dean. There were no good Edges available. This years FA group was just as bad.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's also worth remembering that even if all Brit's predictions come true and no other teams roll over cap or make adjustments by releasing players, $80 million would only be the fifth-most salary cap space in 2024 (according to OTC right now).

We'd also only have 40 players under contract.

For comparison, the Titans are scheduled to have $93 million in cap space before rollovers with 67 players under contract heading into 2024. Some of that will change, but man.

I'm not sure why that matters?

What other teams have has no real bearing on what we do. $80m and 40 players under contract is a strong position to be in. Plus a bunch of players from next years draft capital.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many on this board would do well to curb FA expectations next year because of this, and because of the talent level of the FA class as Brit alluded to. I do expect the Cardinals to pursue a couple FAs but I believe it would be foolish to assume they will be able to add multiple, high level starters next year. I also won't be shocked if Conner sticks as the starting RB in 2024.

Like it or not, Monti is counting on multiple players from this draft class making an impact this year. Cardinals only have on meaningful FA in 2024. I have to imagine after 2023, Gannon and Monti will sit down and figure out what young players they want to extend.

Yup. I don't expect much in FA. This FO seems keen to build through the draft and supplement with FA. I'd expect a bunch of money to carry over into 2025.

Maybe they make 2-3 starter level signings but I wouldn't expect a frenzy.

Stout

Reaction score
I dunno. White is 27 years old; Pascal is 28. Both those guys could be here in three years. It's entirely possible that both of these guys are starters on the Cards' next playoff team.

There's an argument that every NFL team is going to have six stars; the difference between the teams that bubble into the playoffs and then sink back down and the ones who are always in the championship hunt is (1) how your stars are distributed at the most important positions, and (2) how many B- players or better are stacked after your stars.

You can make a reasonable case that the Kingsbury Cardinals fell apart because they over-invested in off-ball linebacker and safety at the expense of offensive line and cornerback. But also because the guys behind their stars were either too young or Billy Price/Kelvin Beachum.
I agree with the premise, just not the players.

Stout

Reaction score
Yup. I don't expect much in FA. This FO seems keen to build through the draft and supplement with FA. I'd expect a bunch of money to carry over into 2025.

Maybe they make 2-3 starter level signings but I wouldn't expect a frenzy.
So, then, we're playing Cap Space at multiple positions and waiting until 2025/2026 to compete? Unless we're getting a ton of solid, immediate starters out of multiple draft classes?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not sure why that matters?

What other teams have has no real bearing on what we do. $80m and 40 players under contract is a strong position to be in. Plus a bunch of players from next years draft capital.
If you’re competing for a small group
Of elite free agents, having more money doesn’t matter?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
You can make a reasonable case that the Kingsbury Cardinals fell apart because they over-invested in off-ball linebacker and safety at the expense of offensive line and cornerback.
imagine following a premium position strategy, the Cards:

in 2020 took Tristan Wirfs or Jedrick Wills (two guys many on this board were clamoring for and were often mocked to the Cards)

in 2021 they took one of Jaelen Philiips or Kwity Paye, DEs or Craig Newsome or Eric Stokes, CB

the implications ripple through the roster

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, then, we're playing Cap Space at multiple positions and waiting until 2025/2026 to compete? Unless we're getting a ton of solid, immediate starters out of multiple draft classes?

You draft to win.

You don't build winning teams through FA.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you’re competing for a small group
Of elite free agents, having more money doesn’t matter?

We have money. 4 teams having more means Jack.

What? We can only succeed in FA if we lead the league in available cap?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We have money. 4 teams having more means Jack.

What? We can only succeed in FA if we lead the league in available cap?
We had money this offseason, and we didn't do anything with it. I don't understand what the cap space argument is if it actually doesn't matter if you have a lot, a little, or no cap space at all.

If there are no good free agents outside or own, what is the point of clearing cap space? Are we only going to compete with free agents that other teams don't want?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We had money this offseason, and we didn't do anything with it. I don't understand what the cap space argument is if it actually doesn't matter if you have a lot, a little, or no cap space at all.

If there are no good free agents outside or own, what is the point of clearing cap space? Are we only going to compete with free agents that other teams don't want?

Unless Kyler wows them, I think their current plan is to trade or cut him. That will eat up all next years cap space.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Unless Kyler wows them, I think their current plan is to trade or cut him. That will eat up all next years cap space.
it wouldnt eat it all up. In fact, with a June 1 designation: it would increase cap space it by $3mm

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've said the same. It's literally the only explanation aside from Michael pushing a cheap agenda, that makes sense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Health was a factor as well.

Stout

Reaction score
You draft to win.

You don't build winning teams through FA.
So, not a denial we have no plans to be competitive any time soon.

You don't build winning teams solely through the draft. It doesn't work. Repudiating FA year after year will get you losing teams. You also don't build winning teams solely through FA. That's how you get an expensive loser. Good teams build through the draft and wisely sign a few key FAs every offseason (mark that as every offseason) and sprinkle in the lunch pail FA signings every offseason. They also trade wisely in and out of the draft. So far, we're only willing to engage in one aspect of the process. Monti must rectify that moving forward.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wait, a minute ago you're aguing that $80m wasn't enough with "If you’re competing for a small group of elite free agents, having more money doesn’t matter?"

And now it's that there are no good free agents? It's almost as if you're determined to be negative.

Cap space isn't only for free agents. There will be players available via trade, there will be good players not currently scheduled to be FA next year who will be cut for cap reasons.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Health was a factor as well.

It was not a factor. It was THE factor.

We had the 3rd most starter snaps lost to injury in the league and if you factor in positional value probably the worst. Tell me what team is going to be good with that?

That's not to say everything was otherwise rosey, there were some obvious issues there with Kliff and Kyler, but ain't no roster of HC in the league winning with the injuries we had last year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose