2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Simmons should be playing edge but he should be blitzing a lot more.
He needs to be put in positions where he doesn't think, and just reacts. Like telling him to get the QB on obvious passing downs.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the Cardinals can get a 8th round pick for Simmons Take it....I do like Collins
I mean worst case scenario where he can't start and no one else wants him, he can still fill the role of special teams/backup. He hasn't been THAT bad.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don’t get a comp pick for him #thanksmonti

Why? Players who have their 5th year options taken up and then leave in FA still gain comp picks.

It will probably be cancelled out in FA with the moves expected next year but it's still going to garner a comp.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why? Players who have their 5th year options taken up and then leave in FA still gain comp picks.

It will probably be cancelled out in FA with the moves expected next year but it's still going to garner a comp.
Because the 5th year is a walk year. The comp pick only counts if the player completes their contract.

Void years work the same way, I think. You don’t get a comp pick if your player walks in their void year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because the 5th year is a walk year. The comp pick only counts if the player completes their contract.

Void years work the same way, I think. You don’t get a comp pick if your player walks in their void year.

The 5th year option makes no difference. Players that leave in FA after their 5th year still count towards the comp pick formula.

Recent examples are Evan Engram, who got the Giants 5th and the Sheldon Rankins who got a 5th for the Saints in 2022. If you Google, Niners are projected to get a 3rd next year for Mike McGlinchey.

There aren't a bunch of examples because the vast majority of 5th years resign with their team.

Brown would get us a comp pick but considering we expect the Cards to be active in FA next year it's going to get wiped out anyway.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The 5th year option makes no difference. Players that leave in FA after their 5th year still count towards the comp pick formula.

Recent examples are Evan Engram, who got the Giants 5th and the Sheldon Rankins who got a 5th for the Saints in 2022. If you Google, Niners are projected to get a 3rd next year for Mike McGlinchey.

There aren't a bunch of examples because the vast majority of 5th years resign with their team.

Brown would get us a comp pick but considering we expect the Cards to be active in FA next year it's going to get wiped out anyway.
I'm talking about Simmons. Yeah, if Brown walks he'll enter into the comp pick conversation (likely as a third), but it'll (hopefully) be offset by big offseason moves as we try to compete.

I expect Brown to be re-signed. EDIT: Don't know where you got the idea this was a conversation about Hollywood Brown.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm talking about Simmons. Yeah, if Brown walks he'll enter into the comp pick conversation (likely as a third), but it'll (hopefully) be offset by big offseason moves as we try to compete.

I expect Brown to be re-signed. EDIT: Don't know where you got the idea this was a conversation about Hollywood Brown.
If I am Monti, I am 100% using the franchise tag on Marquise Brown if I can't get an extension done with him. There is no reason to let him walk with the cap space the Cardinals will have, and the likelihood they will sign a high dollar FA.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If I am Monti, I am 100% using the franchise tag on Marquise Brown if I can't get an extension done with him. There is no reason to let him walk with the cap space the Cardinals will have, and the likelihood they will sign a high dollar FA.
That's over $24 million. Cards only have $45 million in effective cap space for 2024 (yes, that includes potential rollovers -- I think). Really difficult to believe that the Cards will go through a 3-14 season and then lock up half our cap space on a wideout. That's so #birdcity.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's over $24 million. Cards only have $45 million in effective cap space for 2024 (yes, that includes potential rollovers -- I think). Really difficult to believe that the Cards will go through a 3-14 season and then lock up half our cap space on a wideout. That's so #birdcity.
Yeah, I'm not spending 24M on Hollywood.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The $45 million available in 2024 does not include any 2023 roll over or adjustments to 2024 league cap, yet. It's actually possible they could be well North of $60 million, if they don't do anything else this year and just wait for rollover amount and whatever the natural cap increase is.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The $45 million available in 2024 does not include any 2023 roll over or adjustments to 2024 league cap, yet. It's actually possible they could be well North of $60 million, if they don't do anything else this year and just wait for rollover amount and whatever the natural cap increase is.
Is that based on your hopes, or do you have facts in hand?

Here's the link I got the number from. Jason shows an increase in the base cap number increasing from $224 million to $256 million from 2023 to 2024. He also shows that it includes carryover.

Just trying to stomp out a false narrative that we'll somehow have a ton of cap space next season.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA