2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons has the skills and the athleticism to get to the QB. Something you want at OLB. I also don't trust Collins to cover TEs when dropping into zone at OLB vs Simmons. I want Zaven to play ILB on obvious run downs.
He has not shown any reps, or at least any good ones, going up against OTs. He will get absolutely bodied any time he goes up against one, regardless of ability.

Dropping our OLBs into any type of coverage is dumb anyway, but that’s for another day.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Exactly in a 3-4 the difference in size is huge for an OLB. Simmons just couldn't hold up. Not that I expect Collins to be great if he's there since he hasn't played there all year but I think physically he has a better shot than Simmons at OLB in a 3-4
Agree. My problem with this selection is that his readiness to play was clearly misjudged. You don’t sign a bunch of expensive FAs and then take a first round pick who’s not an immediate asset. Of course they told us he would start in place of Hicks, but they were dead wrong. He may not be a bust but they have to stop drafting picks in round one who need essentially a red shirt year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has not shown any reps, or at least any good ones, going up against OTs. He will get absolutely bodied any time he goes up against one, regardless of ability.

Dropping our OLBs into any type of coverage is dumb anyway, but that’s for another day.
They definitely have uses in shallow zone coverages, especially against flat routes and RBs out of the backfield.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. My problem with this selection is that his readiness to play was clearly misjudged. You don’t sign a bunch of expensive FAs and then take a first round pick who’s not an immediate asset. Of course they told us he would start in place of Hicks, but they were dead wrong. He may not be a bust but they have to stop drafting picks in round one who need essentially a red shirt year.
We don't know if he 'isn't ready.' Coaches have pretty much said that they don't/didn't want the rookies in there, because they couldn't afford to have them make rookie mistakes. That isn't the same as not being ready. If you aren't going to trust very high picks to come in and make an impact at a position, you should probably look elsewhere in the draft or trade down.

Reactions: PJ1

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why?

Collins showed way more as a pass rusher in college than Simmons ever did. Also, do you guys really believe Simmons would hold up in the run game at OLB?

Simmons would be a liability playing the edge
Collins has the body type and some experience to offer something
Actually i think both collins abd Kennard would make our defense more effective against the run
The combo of the slowest pass rushers in the league is one of the main reason we suck in that category

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We don't know if he 'isn't ready.' Coaches have pretty much said that they don't/didn't want the rookies in there, because they couldn't afford to have them make rookie mistakes. That isn't the same as not being ready. If you aren't going to trust very high picks to come in and make an impact at a position, you should probably look elsewhere in the draft or trade down.
The fact he couldn’t play in front of Vallejo abd now walker says he’s not ready. We play Wilson so it’s not just a rookie thing.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
He was a tweener coming in, is still learning 2 positions, VJ, doesn’t want to ruin the kid, and he has developed some mighty fine linebackers, notice Middle lb drafted 1st overall last 2 years? I have - trust to be our core for many years, they are the QB on defense, comparatively less expensive then other positions, need them right.

Hicks is a luxury

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact he couldn’t play in front of Vallejo abd now walker says he’s not ready. We play Wilson so it’s not just a rookie thing.
Wilson didn't look ready to start either
I see him giving too much cushion to his receiver and then trying to close the gap with his athleticism but failing quite often
QB have had almost a perfect rating throwing to him
I don't know nothing about football comparing to Vance Joseph but I'm not fully convinced is good at evaluating his players and their usage

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Wilson didn't look ready to start either
I see him giving too much cushion to his receiver and then trying to close the gap with his athleticism but failing quite often
QB have had almost a perfect rating throwing to him
I don't know nothing about football comparing to Vance Joseph but I'm not fully convinced is good at evaluating his players and their usage
Von Miller is pretty fine linebacker,

https://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches-roster/vance-joseph

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair point. It may be a rookie LB issue, since we have seen in with both of our 1st round picks. He very well may not be ready as well. Wish I was a fly on the wall.

There is also the issue with his injury slowing down his progress.

VanceJoseph said:
“He’s doing fine,” he told reporters earlier this week. “He got nicked a couple of weeks ago he missed a couple of weeks of practice, and it kind of set him back a little bit.”

“He’s back and hes’ repping and he’s getting better and better every single day,” Joseph said. “Most rookies, really it’s on their terms as far as how fast they grow. He was doing a good job and playing really well for us and got nicked and he missed a couple of weeks of practice and it kind of slowed him down a little bit.”

I also wonder how much his preseason arrest affected the coaches confidence in the player...

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree that it’s not necessarily a rookie thing. But, VJ’s system requires far more thinking from his LB’s than his CB’s. IMO, VJ needs to be shown the door because his system punishes athleticism & rewards slower, older players who can mentally process his system.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Fair point. It may be a rookie LB issue, since we have seen in with both of our 1st round picks. He very well may not be ready as well. Wish I was a fly on the wall.

There is also the issue with his injury slowing down his progress.

I also wonder how much his preseason arrest affected the coaches confidence in the player...
When thinking about why a player isn’t playing I usually go with the most obvious: coaches can’t trust him because he doesn’t know the alignments or schemes or isn’t physically talented enough. Obviously the physical traits exist. So why seek out all of these other conjecture-based reasons?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree that it’s not necessarily a rookie thing. But, VJ’s system requires far more thinking from his LB’s than his CB’s. IMO, VJ needs to be shown the door because his system punishes athleticism & rewards slower, older players who can mentally process his system.
I don’t think it “punishes athleticism.” But it certainly seems to reward experience and knowledge and recognition. I mean it’s not like he wouldn’t play someone just because they’re athletic if they had the mental side down too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For me it’s a VJ ego thing. Once Keim said Collins was the starter VJ seems to have gone “it’s my defence and Hicks is my boy so I will decide”. I also heard that Collins has received no snaps on D in the last 3 games… hmmm.
I could believe this if (a) Vance had ever come off as arrogant, which he really hasn’t; and (b) his livelihood wasn’t dependent on the success of his defense. I mean, to believe he would take out his anger at a comment keim made on an innocent rookie at the potential expense of his own career seems somewhat far fetched to me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Remember that defense we spent ALL OF TRAINING CAMP INSTALLING that featured Hick, Collins AND Simmons?

Collins sucked so bad we couldn’t even gin up ways to get him on the field. Maybe that changes, but jeebus it’s a bad sign when a guy is on the field for

*checks notes*

57% of defensive snaps in week seven cannot even find his way onto the field at the end of the year.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get not starting him and letting him learn first part of season, but I don’t understand why he didn’t get any time late in games when we were up big. That’s the time to get your live game reps. It’s one of three things: 1) Collins isn’t understanding the defense well enough because it’s too complicated. 2) he’s in the doghouse for something 3) VJ’s doesn’t know how to use him properly ala Simmons.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When thinking about why a player isn’t playing I usually go with the most obvious: coaches can’t trust him because he doesn’t know the alignments or schemes or isn’t physically talented enough. Obviously the physical traits exist. So why seek out all of these other conjecture-based reasons?
Because that is pretty much what we do on a forum?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get not starting him and letting him learn first part of season, but I don’t understand why he didn’t get any time late in games when we were up big. That’s the time to get your live game reps. It’s one of three things: 1) Collins isn’t understanding the defense well enough because it’s too complicated. 2) he’s in the doghouse for something 3) VJ’s doesn’t know how to use him properly ala Simmons.
Exactly. I would love to know which one it is. Either way, it is still fun to talk about.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Because that is pretty much what we do on a forum?
Not really. At least that’s not what I do. I try figure why something is happening. Not search for any possible reason with no evidence, but actually try to figure out what the most likely reason for something happening. Obviously there are gradations. But it seem like some posters cling to what seem like less than 5% probabilities as explanations when 85% probabilities are staring them in the face.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree, it doesn’t make a lot of sense… it also doesn’t make a lot of sense to let him sub in when we are getting thrashed by the run - especially in the GB and Detroit games. Hicks wasn’t stopping anybody, so why not toss Zavien in? What’s the worse that’s going to happen we hurt Hicks feelings and we continued to get thrashed by the run?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
For me it’s a VJ ego thing. Once Keim said Collins was the starter VJ seems to have gone “it’s my defence and Hicks is my boy so I will decide”. I also heard that Collins has received no snaps on D in the last 3 games… hmmm.
I think you tend to forget that before attaining those ten wins, these coaches were fighting for their jobs... I doubt it was about ego :)

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I could believe this if (a) Vance had ever come off as arrogant, which he really hasn’t; and (b) his livelihood wasn’t dependent on the success of his defense. I mean, to believe he would take out his anger at a comment keim made on an innocent rookie at the potential expense of his own career seems somewhat far fetched to me.

I think you tend to forget that before attaining those ten wins, these coaches were fighting for their jobs... I doubt it was about ego :)

To be fair it wouldn’t have been the first time ego has got in the way of success, plus with an ego like that it’s not as if the coach would think they were wrong at all.

It’s all speculation though of course. Just some little red flags I’ve noticed in VJ and the way he conducts his scheme i.e. players fit my scheme not scheme around the players he has in Simmons and Collins. But also it may be a built up hate as I really hate the way he calls those sort zones

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think it “punishes athleticism.” But it certainly seems to reward experience and knowledge and recognition. I mean it’s not like he wouldn’t play someone just because they’re athletic if they had the mental side down too.
His system over emphasizes the mental aspect, which slows players down, thus neutralizing any advantages they may have in athleticism. Sure, it’s great to have a player who possesses the whole package of athleticism, knowledge, and recognition, but that’s seldom the case early on or even ever. Exactly why his defenses almost always are near the bottom of the pack stopping the run. And IMO, the great defenses MUST be able to stop the run.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His system over emphasizes the mental aspect, which slows players down, thus neutralizing any advantages they may have in athleticism. Sure, it’s great to have a player who possesses the whole package of athleticism, knowledge, and recognition, but that’s seldom the case early on or even ever. Exactly why his defenses almost always are near the bottom of the pack stopping the run. And IMO, the great defenses MUST be able to stop the run.
It only slows down the ones who are slower mentally. For those that understand the scheme and have the recognition ability it does nothing to impede their impact. I guess this makes sense to me because I played the position and played over more physically gifted players due to my ability to understand defenses and analyze offenses more quickly thereby allowing me to be in position to make plays earlier than the meatheads who were often outta position. Eventually the kid that replaced me when I was injured was just as quick mentally and a superior athlete. That combo is what makes guys like Kuechly the holy grail.