2020 Draft

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sarver needs to buy a 2nd rounder. We need to fill out the bench.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Haliburton isn't viewed as a true 1, and won't be a top 2 either.

Seriously...Jalen Smith will fit into the rotation at some point. That's how you win in the NBA draft:. You either draft a guy who is going to be a good rotation player, or get lucky on a "potential" guy.
Yeah I think Jalen will be a rotation guy.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'll just say that Flex from Jersey laid an egg on this one. LOL
Gambo too since he never mentioned Smith as a possibility.

If I had to guess the player they were talking about dropping was probably Toppin, but he didn't make it all the way to us.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's for sure. It's good, but it's hard to not have any social interaction in the office. And having to deal with terrible VPN is a pain, but outside of that, I'm liking it.

Oh yeah, I've never even met most of the people I've worked with three years and years and years.

He is ready to play now. Can pass, shoot, has great size. There is almost nothing not to like.

James Jones is an idiot.

You could have easily got him at 15

He's ok - but Haliburton is much better, and Jalen Smith would have been available at least 5 picks later, only an idiot would not trade down before selecting him.

You have to have somebody that wants to trade up

Exactly, you don't just get to tell people you are trading with them unless you are saying we should have just not picked until it got down to #15. To save some monney maybe? I wonder why everybody passed on Halliburton. It doesn't sound like it was anything with his attitude or personality. In fact quite the contrary it sounds like thhat was a strength.

I like all the boxes that Smith checks. Now I just hope he's actually a pretty good player.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hope it’s Kira. I think he has a really good chance of being an effective guard on offense that doesn’t get exploited on defense.

If not Kira, and assuming Onyeka is off the board, I wouldn’t mind Terry, Nesmith, Smith, or Williams.

Criteria is basically guys that are at least not projectably terrible at defense, can create space for Ayton, and/or have outlier tails of being really good.

So, Smith is on the list.

I think his shooting will allow him to play the 4 long term next to Ayton on offense, and Ayton’s feet will allow him to play rim protector on defense.

He will start the year as back-up 5 in all likelihood, as I expect the Suns to start Cam at the 4. His job will be to finish dunks, rebound (he’s very good), and protect the rim. Decent size and great athletic traits. His shooting is his swing skill. He has a chance to be a Jaren Jackson Jr like player with less juice.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

If I had to guess the player they were talking about dropping was probably Toppin, but he didn't make it all the way to us.

Smith was actually among the 9(9!) players he listed that the Suns might take at 10 for whatever it's worth.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

He was one of the 7 players that Gambo had as a possibility.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah I think Jalen will be a rotation guy.

When I evaluate guys in the NBA draft, I'm either looking for guys who can be a star or rotation player.

This draft is not a good one, most of the top guys have a slim shot of ever being a true star, especially at the 10th pick. I think Jalen has traits to be a rotation guy, which will be a boon from this crap draft.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Smith was actually among the 9(9!) players he listed that the Suns might take at 10 for whatever it's worth.
Was that on his show? I am just going off his tweets. Don't remember seeing the name there, but I could be mistaken.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So, Smith is on the list.

I think his shooting will allow him to play the 4 long term next to Ayton on offense, and Ayton’s feet will allow him to play rim protector on defense.

He will start the year as back-up 5 in all likelihood, as I expect the Suns to start Cam at the 4. His job will be to finish dunks, rebound (he’s very good), and protect the rim. Decent size and great athletic traits. His shooting is his swing skill. He has a chance to be a Jaren Jackson Jr like player with less juice.
He doesn’t have JJJ’s lower body strength.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's for sure. It's good, but it's hard to not have any social interaction in the office. And having to deal with terrible VPN is a pain, but outside of that, I'm liking it.

Oh yeah, I've never even met most of the people I've worked with three years and years and years.

He is ready to play now. Can pass, shoot, has great size. There is almost nothing not to like.

James Jones is an idiot.

You could have easily got him at 15

He's ok - but Haliburton is much better, and Jalen Smith would have been available at least 5 picks later, only an idiot would not trade down before selecting him.

You have to have somebody that wants to trade up

Exactly, you don't just get to tell people you are trading with them unless you are saying we should have just not picked until it got down to #15. To save some monney maybe? I wonder why everybody passed on Halliburton. It doesn't sound like it was anything with his attitude or personality. In fact quite the contrary it sounds like thhat was a strength.

I like all the boxes that Smith checks. Now I just hope he's actually a pretty good player.I'm a big cam Johnson fan so I'm hoping Smith will also be good.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously - you really believe you couldn't at least get a bench player or a second rounder to move up 5 or 6 spots? Stop making excuses for James Jones incompetence.

obviously no one want to trade up

not sure why you don’t like James Jones he’s made some good moves

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man, it’s been kinda quiet around here since the Sun’s pick?
Where are you 1Sun? I’m anxious to hear your thoughts on this pick.
Like? Not like? Meh?

Or have I missed your post? Don’t think so.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've always liked Jalen Smith.

He has great measurements standing reach and wingspan. Can defend, rebound, shoot and block shots.

agreed

he doesn’t do anything at an elite level, except maybe block shots, but he doesn’t make mistakes either and his only real weakness is passing

the Suns need tall people that can defend and have offensive usefulness at least more than anything else.

halliburton isn’t going to handle the ball much with Paul and Booker on the team; also makes me think Payne in the bubble wasn’t a mirage

2021 class has a ton of PGs too, so maybe that’s the plan for JJ/JB

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lots of people love or hate the picks, but none of us know anything. It's a crap shoot for most GMs too.

And this year more than most. I actually like Paul Reed more than guys going ahead of him, but that doesn't really mean much.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Man, it’s been kinda quiet around here since the Sun’s pick?
Where are you 1Sun? I’m anxious to hear your thoughts on this pick.
Like? Not like? Meh?

Or have I missed your post? Don’t think so.
There is also a Jalen Smith thread that people are talking on.