2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And that's the thing. The refs just have to stop rewarding shooters when they make a non-basketball move to manufacture a foul call. Pulling up short which can lead to contact is okay, it's a move a player might make even if there is no defender on his back, but the rest of that stuff has to be called on the offensive player. Just like they need to call all the contact offensive players are using to gain an advantage.
The problem is in real time the jump back is so slight that it’s almost imperceptible. It becomes obvious when watching a video like that one where you know that’s what you’re supposed to be looking for.

ar the end of the day I just can’t used using fouls for offensive purposes. That wasn’t the intent. It was to grant players freedom of motion. It’s been bastardized beyond it’s original intent.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
As the 7th seed they aren't in, they have to take part in the play-in. I can see the Lakers wanting to avoid playing an extra game.

Yes, my mistake.

If they tie Portland tonight it still doesn’t sound like they’re playing everyone tomorrow.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is in real time the jump back is so slight that it’s almost imperceptible. It becomes obvious when watching a video like that one where you know that’s what you’re supposed to be looking for.

ar the end of the day I just can’t used using fouls for offensive purposes. That wasn’t the intent. It was to grant players freedom of motion. It’s been bastardized beyond it’s original intent.

It's even worse than that when you consider that sometimes the jump back actually is a basketball move. So, yeah, it's a tough call but if they call it an offensive foul when they can identify it in real time, that will at least help address the problem.

The refs used to always say if a player intentionally creates contact and thereby gains an advantage, it's a foul. It would be nice if they started saying that again, it would eliminate so many of these gimmicks offensive players are using (like the swipe through).

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dont think Nuggets are gonna win. Which is fine. I think we all knew this was coming Lakers vs GS
I still think GS is gonna work em. We shall see

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’ll be stunned if the Nuggets try to win tonight. No one in their right mind would do everything they can to play the toughest first round matchup.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think Nuggets are gonna win. Which is fine. I think we all knew this was coming Lakers vs GS
I still think GS is gonna work em. We shall see

Lebron vs Steph in the playoff game will be the highest ratings ever

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ll be stunned if the Nuggets try to win tonight. No one in their right mind would do everything they can to play the toughest first round matchup.

Yah there’s really no difference between the 3-4 seed unless the #1 seed is a juggernaut. I don’t think the 3-seed has ever had home court in the 2nd rd. It will probably happen this year and it won’t even really be homecourt for the Clippers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah there’s really no difference between the 3-4 seed unless the #1 seed is a juggernaut. I don’t think the 3-seed has ever had home court in the 2nd rd. It will probably happen this year and it won’t even really be homecourt for the Clippers.

I don’t think the Clippers or Denver make any attempt to win today. The 4 seed is the better slot. You still get HCA, you likely play Dallas, a weak 5 seed, avoid both the Lakers/Suns/Clippers for two rounds and then have the Jazz with a possibly dinged up Mitchell in the second round.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just 16-36 from the field so he will have to do even better against the Lakers, but it's certainly possible.

Yeah he took a career high in shots today and finished with 46. Amazing 46 is a bad game for him

I would argue this is his best OFFENSIVE season ever. When you look the FG% is higher than career avg, 3 is just off 42 this year 43 career, FT 92 career 91, APG 5.7 career 6.5 PPG 31.8 career 24.2. In a vacuum that's a great year but when you realize he did it the whole year without Klay and they've had only partial seasons from Wiseman, Oubre and others it's just remarkable.

I still don't like the chances against the Lakers they're just too small to stop AD, but they could win game 3 of the playin and still get into the playoffs. You can argue the best thing would be to NOT win and get into the lottery but I'd much rather see them get in and get at least one series.

The emergence of Jordan Poole has really helped and if Oubre can come back during the first series that could be huge too.

A guy at work who's a big fan and I were discussing it Friday. I still love Wiseman but imagine if the Warriors had picked Melo Ball this year. Wiseman's big issue this year was defense, same with Melo, but this year not even worth arguing Melo was clearly the better player. Ironic that so much talk in the bay area was they wanted the next Iggy and they passed up on the most obvious next Iggy in Melo. Iggy was a great defender, Melo is a bad one right now but the big guard who can play the 1 is very Iggy like and he'll get better on defense. They needed size so I fully get taking Wiseman and i do think he's going to be a great player. You could see as the year went on he got used to playing off Steph, and next year if Klay is finally healthy it'll be even easier as he'll have 2 alltime great shooters to spread the court opening the paint for him in the dunk position.

But for this year if you put Melo on the Warriors I think they'd be a pretty scary team in the playoffs. but again even with Melo if LeBron is even remotely healthy the Lakers are a terrible matchup due to size. So they're probably going to have to win the game 3 to get in.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers are good defenders, but their guard defense is not as good as the front court.

All it takes is one insane game from Steph--and he does that all the time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sac had a 12pt lead with 3 mins left in 1st and lost lead in 2 mins.

I’m just chuckling at all the mental gymnastics people were doing to try and convince themselves the Lakers were gonna get the 3 seed or we had a good shot at the 1 seed.

I assume that will continue through the first quarter of the play in game.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m just chuckling at all the mental gymnastics people were doing to try and convince themselves the Lakers were gonna get the 3 seed or we had a good shot at the 1 seed.

I assume that will continue through the first quarter of the play in game.
Here it comes ...Steph gonna light the Lakers up!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson