2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Nov 25, 2020.

1. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

For me it's the arrogance which shows up in things like his smirk in addition to his flopping and his whining. But watching him play the game it's almost impossible to believe he's this good this young. Maybe he'll mature and lose some of that arrogance when he turns 23? Not that the best players aren't typically arrogant, he just overachieves there like he has in so many other areas.

2. AzStevenCal

They already do but I saw a young ref's head explode the last time that happened, it was quite messy.

Mainstreet likes this.
  3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I’m still amazed by how ridiculously wrong I was about Doncic. I think he’s getting wasted in Dallas with a really subpar team surrounding him and won’t be surprised if he bolts first chance he’s given.

4. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I wonder how Bill Laimbeer would defend Doncic. :mrgreen:

AzStevenCal likes this.
  5. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

To be fair unless you'd seen him a lot I don't see how anybody couldn't have been wrong on him. He has a bad body, he can't jump and he is a cocky "jerk" on the court. But he's an insanely good player. I know it's a white thing but the best comparison I can see is Larry BIrd, not as big, but same can't jump a lick but nobody can guard him.

The Warriors went Curry on him doubling him off screens and he would just hold the ball and then hit the roller for an easy shot or a pass leading to a shot, just could not fluster him.

There was one play he was in a crowd and tried to flip up a shot, Wiggins blocked it, finally, and Luka just got it back and put it in the look on wiggins face was priceless what do I do?

Really good, my one concern would be if he's this thick now what happens in a few years, but so far it does not impact him at all he's damn near unguardable.

SirStefan32 and Mainstreet like this.
  6. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

that’s the craziest thing about his game at such a young age... he’s pretty unflappable. My bigger concern is what happens if he loses the baby fat and turns that thickness into muscle or at least more toned thickness?

7. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Yeah if he does that look out but for a guy with a bad body he's remarkably good.

Another comparison would be Rick Barry, everyone HATED that guy he was MUCH more demonstrative than Luka and when he came into the league a much better athlete, but similar in that he was just good at everything and no matter how much people hated him they could not stop him.

Wiggins has become a really good defender and he could not do a thing with Luka last night he just got worked over and over. Oubre did a bit better job on him but couldn't really stop him either.

He had 39 and sat out the 4th could have easily had 50

8. AzStevenCal

Yeah I think if anything does slow him down or stop him early it will be wear and tear plus lack of care. The Mavs have to be working on getting him to improve his diet and exercise routine but Luka probably sees Harden and figures why bother. But Harden is even more of a physical freak, I think he could play at Shaq weight - he's the wrong role model for most humans.

Russ Smith likes this.
  9. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Doncic is going to be unstoppable on offense like an improved and taller James Hardin as he perfects his craft and of course gets all the calls.

Russ Smith likes this.
  10. Suns_fan69

Suns_fan69 Official ASFN Lurker

One thing that doesn't get talked about is that his game is going to age extremely well because he doesn't rely on his athleticism. He's going to be a problem for years and years.

Mainstreet and Russ Smith like this.
  11. AzStevenCal

Yeah losing his leaping ability isn't going to matter much but if he loses a step, that will. It just depends on what wears down.

12. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

When you play Dallas I don’t think the object is to stop Luka. I think it’s to not allow him to make players around him better. I think that’s what bridges does. Lord knows bridges doesn’t stop him. He just makes the whole game more difficult for Luka which more effectively throws the rest of the mavs’ overall game off.

SirStefan32 and Russ Smith like this.
  14. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

15. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper