2020 1st round pick is Isaiah Simmons

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Play Simmons as much as possible and rotate everyone else. Since he can do it all he just stays on the field along with CJ, Peterson and Baker

Yup as I said above. Playing SS / Slot CB he just stays on the field most the time. Instead of Thompson in base and Murphy in Nickel. He does both.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's not just the money. I don't see why they would put a guy in there with 120 college snaps at ILB in his rookie season when you are paying a vet $6m.

When your current box safety is a 5th round pick with about 300 snaps at the position that most suits Simmons for now. At box safety he can cover TE's and WRs and be in position to stop the run and on some plays where you might want Simmons range deep you can flip him with Budda. Similar to what the Chargers do with James.

You can have Hicks, Campbell and Simmons or Hicks, Simmons and Thompson.

I know which looks best to me.

He takes snaps from everyone. That's what makes him special, he can appear anywhere which a OC cannot plan for... which will really mess with a guy like Goff who is so robotic in his thought process relying on his coach :raccoon:

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yup as I said above. Playing SS / Slot CB he just stays on the field most the time. Instead of Thompson in base and Murphy in Nickel. He does both.

How are you feeling about the pick? I know you were really hoping for an OT

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I couldn't agree More. Like you were reading off my big board..

That’s the great thing about Simmons. There’s isn’t a situation that he doesn’t play in. I. Year 2 he’s a 100 tackle guy and who knows what else he will accomplish

I couldn't agree More. Like you were reading off my big board..

That’s the great thing about Simmons. There’s isn’t a situation that he doesn’t play in. I. Year 2 he’s a 100 tackle guy and who knows what else he will accomplish

LOL...... Not surprised you two jokers double posted back to back!

I woke up so relieved today! Great Pick!!!!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It gives are defense so much flexibility. To start I see Simmons like a roving nickel. Blitzing, covering TE , Spying Wilson, and the ability to cover from sideline to sideline.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
likely the best athlete drafted since Pat P?

Given his size, maybe better overall?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Obviously Kyler ran a 40 (combine or pro day)

Do you think Kyler is faster than Simmons?

Either way they'll challenge each other at practice everyday. Kyler wont see guys that big as fast as him (or faster). And chasing Kyler around will be a good test for Simmons.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How are you feeling about the pick? I know you were really hoping for an OT

I'm good with it, Simmons is a superb talent and our defense is garbage. I'd like to solidify the line in front of Kyler but there are likely to be some decent tackles on the board at the top of the 3rd.

My concern with him has always been similar to the concerns we have heard from scouts and analysts. To get the best out of him you really need to write your whole defense around him and I don't think we have the coaching talent anywhere on the D side to do that. From Vance, to Davis and all they way down to Robertson. Nobody on the defensive side inspires me with confidence. Especially Vance.

If we had Todd Bowles I'd be putting money on Simmons for DROY.

A lot is resting on Simmons to just be too good to be coached down.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
for all the talk of Simmons size, speed and athleticism -- check out last year's production:

104 tackles―16.5 going for a loss―with 8.0 sacks, three picks, eight pass deflections, and one forced fumble.

that's insane.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
To me this offseason has been the best I have seen from any Cardinals team now let's just see how the rest plays out and I hope we actually have a season to watch these guys perform and Win it all this time!!!!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
for all the talk of Simmons size, speed and athleticism -- check out last year's production:

104 tackles―16.5 going for a loss―with 8.0 sacks, three picks, eight pass deflections, and one forced fumble.

that's insane.

Makes plays. Which is what we need.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amazing pick was sure giants or panthers would grab him was stoked when Panthers took brown!!

Simmons is a straight beast a 4.3 lber doesn't come often!!

Cards should go oline in 3rd round

A+++++ offseason so far for cards