2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious why you think Sarver would physically engage with another player. I get that he was a clown 10 years ago, but what makes you think he would have done that now?

once a clown, always a clown and it wasn't ten years ago that apparently he could be heard yelling at people in the background of calls between executives and posting up a freaking goat in someone's office that proceeded to crap all over the place.

He strikes me as the kind of uber-rich-entitled-******** who would lose himself in the heat of the moment, probably the same way the GS minority owner did.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you asked Cheese. I did see a video, maybe the last year or two, where Sarver takes on a fan. It could have been a gotcha video. Still Sarver stops to talk to the fan. Sarver gives a smart ass answer. My thought was, perhaps it would have been better if he didn't engage to begin with. I don't get the impression he would get physical.

we'd also never heard anything about that GS owner that he would be the type to get physical until it happened.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious why you think Sarver would physically engage with another player. I get that he was a clown 10 years ago, but what makes you think he would have done that now?

and I was probably a little too strong in my statement that you "KNOW" Sarver would do something stupid like that. Shoulda said "It wouldn't surprise me if Sarver ended up doing something that stupid" and at least giving him a sliver of the benefit of the doubt.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This is why Dubs are a great franchise ( I suppose thid winds up in court):

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dude owns 7% so he invested about 25 million and should walk with $180 million

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I know you asked Cheese. I did see a video, maybe the last year or two, where Sarver takes on a fan. It could have been a gotcha video. Still Sarver stops to talk to the fan. Sarver gives a smart ass answer. My thought was, perhaps it would have been better if he didn't engage to begin with. I don't get the impression he would get physical.
Yeah, that’s pretty much my take as well. Sarver is a meddling jerk and a horrible owner but I’ve never heard of an instance where he was physically aggressive towards anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah that pretty much confirms Lowry told the truth about him saying something. I have no idea what but he clearly said something that people heard that made the team say we don't want this guy involved.

Nice.

Yuma01

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s pretty much my take as well. Sarver is a meddling jerk and a horrible owner but I’ve never heard of an instance where he was physically aggressive towards anyone.

You made me get Tapatalk!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And now the whole thing makes sense. Guy went to USC.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Yeah that pretty much confirms Lowry told the truth about him saying something. I have no idea what but he clearly said something that people heard that made the team say we don't want this guy involved.

Nice.
Reports state he said F-U, MF multiple times.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

can you imagine that rich ******** EVER just walking up to Lowry on the street and doing the same? Self-entitled protected prick.

good on the Warriors for banning him and hopefully forcing him to sell his shares. Rich people don't get to just do whatever the f they want. Actions should have consequences and what he did was dangerous.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was going to guess there was some racial slur involved but yeah that would do it too.

I don't care if you're just watchign a game, as a part owner you are representing the team, you can't do that crap.

as Klay and Durant would say "you're not talking now ya bum azz."

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
can you imagine that rich ******** EVER just walking up to Lowry on the street and doing the same? Self-entitled protected prick.

good on the Warriors for banning him and hopefully forcing him to sell his shares. Rich people don't get to just do whatever the f they want. Actions should have consequences and what he did was dangerous.
Agreed...I think this will be a long protracted battle with Stevens trying to claim team worth more by factoring in move to SF, etc. It is going to get ugly and will not go away quickly, IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hey guys. Not saying his actions were correct, but we are talking about two multmillionaires in an altercation. :devil:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This year's playoffs have been packed with drama and controversy..that is overall good for the league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Commissioner Adam Silver weighs in on Mark Stevens one year ban.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sounds like a guy who did something embarassing in front of the whole world, and now he sounds mortified if he really is contrite and apologetic like Stern says.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local stations reporting Looney MIGHT return during the finals. They apparently are double checking and think he MIGHT be able to make it back if the series extends long enough.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a guy who did something embarassing in front of the whole world, and now he sounds mortified if he really is contrite and apologetic like Stern says.

I guess I believe in giving people 2nd chances. That said I also somewhat agree with what leBron said. The guy is a part owner and has those tickets, he more than anybody knows what comes with those tickets. LeBron said it says right on the tickets warnings about contact with players etc. I know people get caught up in the moment but what made that so odd to me is Lowry didn't land on Stevens he landed on someone else, his reaction to me was bizarre so I have a hard time believing that's not who he is.

My inclination is he was mad his team was losing and went too far.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Guess that may depend on if Lowry comes bowling into a group he is part of while on the street. I am not defending the guy at all, but it is not like Lowry was running along the sideline and the guy stood up and shoved him. Perhaps he felt like Lowry was a little too physical on the fall out of bounds than he needed to be, especially since there was a woman he landed on/near. We had Barkley a few weeks back talk about how he would accidentally plow into Drake in the stands to send a message. Again, I am not defending the guy at all, I am just saying that the penalty and backlash for this is out of control, as if he planned this altercation and carried it out.
And if this Stevens guy is a rich ********, what is Drake in his interactions with the players? Or Spike Lee? Or Lowry himself? He made a big deal out of this when he really didn't need to. It wasn't an assault or a personal affront to his character or manhood. He has been hearing the crap about Drake on the sidelines and decided that GS had one too, I guess?
It just seems so weird, this situation and the reaction to it. Like people bottling any frustrations they have with life at the moment and hurling it at some guy who got a little too caught up in the heat of the moment.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ben Cafardo‏ @Ben_ESPN 50m50 minutes ago
#NBAFinals on ABC Game 2 draws strong 10.2 overnight rating (Nielsen)

54th consecutive NBA Finals broadcast to draw double-digit overnight ratings

66th straight time the NBA Finals on ABC is expected to win the night across all of TV

(Canadian ratings not included)

I guess it complicates things that there's no unified Nielsen number, but I think omitting the Canadian audience is really misleading. The NBA expanded to secure that audience, and game 1 of the finals had 7-1/2 million viewers.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well I'm glad I didn't bet on Warriors in 5, and I'm also glad I didn't make a big bet at 4:3, or whatever their odds were, to pick up some easy money. They'll probably still win the series, but this is much closer than I could have imagined.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I guess it complicates things that there's no unified Nielsen number, but I think omitting the Canadian audience is really misleading. The NBA expanded to secure that audience, and game 1 of the finals had 7-1/2 million viewers.

The Canada ratings can't be that high; all of their fans are crammed into those Jurassic Park gatherings, not at home watching television.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess that may depend on if Lowry comes bowling into a group he is part of while on the street. I am not defending the guy at all, but it is not like Lowry was running along the sideline and the guy stood up and shoved him. Perhaps he felt like Lowry was a little too physical on the fall out of bounds than he needed to be, especially since there was a woman he landed on/near. We had Barkley a few weeks back talk about how he would accidentally plow into Drake in the stands to send a message. Again, I am not defending the guy at all, I am just saying that the penalty and backlash for this is out of control, as if he planned this altercation and carried it out.
And if this Stevens guy is a rich ********, what is Drake in his interactions with the players? Or Spike Lee? Or Lowry himself? He made a big deal out of this when he really didn't need to. It wasn't an assault or a personal affront to his character or manhood. He has been hearing the crap about Drake on the sidelines and decided that GS had one too, I guess?
It just seems so weird, this situation and the reaction to it. Like people bottling any frustrations they have with life at the moment and hurling it at some guy who got a little too caught up in the heat of the moment.

I agree on Drake I think the league should have already done something. Not ban him but something, he was out of control in the Bucks series. Warriors so far it seems to be playful back and forth not concerned.

With Stevens my inclination is it's more what he said, and apparently frequently, than the push.

Stevens has apologized, the league has fined him heavily, the Warriors are apparently still considering further actions. Steph Curry spoke up yesterday said it was not acceptable behavior and "we will deal with it". he apologized publicly to Lowry, commended him for not overreacting when it happened and keeping his cool etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen