2019 Free Agency

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We definitely need an upgrade at PG. PF We have an average upgrade coming from zero PF. Center, SG, and SF we are good. PG is the priority. Let's see how this plays out. One thing I have to say James Jones runs a tight ship. We have some speculative rumors, but no one really knows what we are doing.

They didn't on draft day, either, and look how that turned out. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kokoskov didn't have a fair chance without a point guard not to mention a power forward.

He proved to be incompetent and in over his head either way.

My concern is that Monty, who we already know is capable as long as he has real NBA players, is being set up to fail.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They didn't on draft day, either, and look how that turned out. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
There wasn't a guy at our picks anyone thought was a starting guard at our picks. We all acknowledged that. So on draft day we needed a trade, or you wait until free agency. Obviously, our option is free agency.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

My concern is that Monty, who we already know is capable as long as he has real NBA players, is being set up to fail.
The bolded part of your post is exactly what the aim of this off season has been and almost certainly will continue to be in free agency. Therefor I don't really see how he is being set up to fail.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There wasn't a guy at our picks anyone thought was a starting guard at our picks. We all acknowledged that. So on draft day we needed a trade, or you wait until free agency. Obviously, our option is free agency.

And meanwhile, our assets and trades on draft day were completely mismanaged. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I was a big Igor supporter. I admit my mistake.

On exit interviews players said there was a communication problem.

Obviously Monty has experience, and I assume he can communicate his vision to the players.

I feel the staff established this year is better than the one compiled last year.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The bolded part of your post is exactly what the aim of this off season has been and almost certainly will continue to be in free agency. Therefor I don't really see how he is being set up to fail.

Because real NBA players include real NBA starters. The best bench in the world means nothing if the starters are constantly being outscored by 30. And in terms of roster construction, we now have a bunch of players who are entirely reliant on someone else to create open shots for them, and we have nobody who actually can create those shots.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was a big Igor supporter. I admit my mistake.

On exit interviews players said there was a communication problem.

Obviously Monty has experience, and I assume he can communicate his vision to the players.

I feel the staff established this year is better than the one compiled last year.

Much better, but you still need an actual NBA roster in order to compete in the NBA.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would be okay with Joseph if PHX doesn't get Russell and they sign or trade for a big name PF and need the cap space for that.

I would rather have Joseph over Rozier because he is a better defender, passer and will be cheaper than Rozier. I don't think PHX is in on Rubio or Beverly because I think they want to go to a contender. Jeff Teague is an interesting option as he is a solid PG who is on an expiring deal. Tre Jones would check some boxes but his shooting is what keeps him from being an ideal option, that's not to say he can't improve but he has always been a subpar shooter going back to college.

PHX's best bet is to go with a stop gap if they don't get Russell as there is no other long term solution. The 2020 NBA draft as someone mentioned has a couple of good looking PG prospects in Cole Anthony and Nico Mannion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably already been reported but I will throw this tidbit out there again from a azcentral article:

ESPN reported that the Suns are one of several teams interested in Brogdon and they could sign him to an offer sheet. The Bucks can match any offer for him,

From ESPN's report: "The Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics (if they don't land Kemba Walker), Phoenix Suns and Mavericks could consider an offer sheet for Brogdon and test the Bucks."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-pursue-restricted-nba-free-agent/1596284001/

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Because real NBA players includes real starters. The best bench in the world means nothing if the starters are constantly being outscored by 30. And in terms of roster construction, we now have a bunch of players who are entirely reliant on someone else to create open shots for them, and we have nobody who actually can create those shots.
Booker is a real starter, Oubre is a real starter (I very much expect he will be back), Saric is a real starter and Ayton is a real starter. The only position that needs a starter upgrade is PG and there happens to be quite a few of them available in free agency this year. Also baby steps as it was just a year ago that we were severely lacking in two starter spots and overall depth. Hard to expect them to fix everything in one off season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would be okay with Joseph if PHX doesn't get Russell and they sign or trade for a big name PF and need the cap space for that.

I would rather have Joseph over Rozier because he is a better defender, passer and will be cheaper than Rozier. I don't think PHX is in on Rubio or Beverly because I think they want to go to a contender. Jeff Teague is an interesting option as he is a solid PG who is on an expiring deal. Tre Jones would check some boxes but his shooting is what keeps him from being an ideal option, that's not to say he can't improve but he has always been a subpar shooter going back to college.

PHX's best bet is to go with a stop gap if they don't get Russell as there is no other long term solution. The 2020 NBA draft as someone mentioned has a couple of good looking PG prospects in Cole Anthony and Nico Mannion.

So for the fourth year in a row, we're already looking to the following year's draft and tanking for it before the season begins?

Yeah, that will sit wonderfully with Booker...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Booker is a real starter, Oubre is a real starter (I very much expect he will be back), Saric is a real starter and Ayton is a real starter. The only position that needs a starter upgrade is PG and there happens to be quite a few of them available in free agency this year. Also baby steps as it was just a year ago that we were severely lacking in two starter spots and overall depth. Hard to expect them to fix everything in one off season.

Saric is not a real starter, and Cory Joseph definitely would not be.

You get your starters first. THEN you worry about overall depth. Your bench means nothing if you are down 20 eight minutes into every game.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Much better, but you still need an actual NBA roster in order to compete in the NBA.
We had arguably 4 NBA worthy players on our roster last year. Not 4 starters, 4 NBA worthy players. How do we fix that with limited cap space and two draft picks in one off season? You can't. Impossible. It's going to take several seasons. Hopefully two seasons moves makes us competitive.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You make it sound like we're a g league team man. Doom and gloom all around you. Sometimes your takes have me shaking my head....Sometimes I'm shaking my head just logging in cause I know What's coming

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You make it sound like we're a g league team man. Doom and gloom all around you. Sometimes your takes have me shaking my head....Sometimes I'm shaking my head just logging in cause I know What's coming

With the likes of Cory Joseph starting at point guard, we ARE a G League team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We had arguably 4 NBA worthy players on our roster last year. Not 4 starters, 4 NBA worthy players. How do we fix that with limited cap space and two draft picks in one off season? You can't. Impossible. It's going to take several seasons. Hopefully two makes us competitive.

Booker
Ayton
Warren
Jackson
Bridges
Crawford
Oubre

That's 7. Of course, four of those are now gone (at least for the time being) and replaced with Saric, Baynes, Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome.

I don't see how that's an improvement.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not looking good for D'Angelo Russell.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

Minnesota is at the top of D'Angelo Russell's free-agent wish list as the opening bell nears, league sources say -- with the Timberwolves increasingly confident they can make the necessary salary-cap moves to land him

11:35 AM - 30 Jun 2019

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson