2019 Free Agency

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
As long as they are actual NBA players (Equal to Tyler Johnson and Dario Saric, for example), I am good, especially if they can defend.
I feel like the impact of having actual NBA players in the rotation this year means to the win total is being underestimated right now. If we can put together a team that is 9-10 players deep and also get some improvement from the young core guys we could see a pretty big turnaround.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
What about what’s most likely to happen: crappy pg, crappy pf and Oubre

You are even more optimistic than me. I have the feeling it will be crappy PG (Joseph), then the Suns will play wait-and-see with Oubre.

Then when Oubre gets a $16 per offer from someone, they let him walk, sign someone like Mike Scott on the cheap, and sit on the rest of the cap space, claiming they are "maintaining flexibility" to do something at mid-season.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
6/30/19, 10:24 AM
EuroLeague power forward Nicolo Melli is finalizing a two-year deal with the New Orleans Pelicans, sources tell ESPN. Melli, 28, was the top scorer in the EuroLeague Finals for Fenerbahce last season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am kinda waiting to see what happens. My response is variable. If we get a top PG and no PF and Oubre, I'm good with that. If we get a good PG and good PF and Oubre, I'm good about. If we get a lower tier Rubio, Beverly, etc, and a top PF and Oubre I may even be good with that! It really depends on the PACKAGE in whole for me.

Who do you consider a good PG? Most seem to have guys like Rubio and Beverly at that level since they're legit starters. The lower tier seems to the backups who haven't started much, if at all, elsewhere like Joseph, Satoransky, and Shane Larkin. We know the top tier are Kyrie, Kemba, D'Lo, and Brogdon.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As long as they are actual NBA players (Equal to Tyler Johnson and Dario Saric, for example), I am good, especially if they can defend.

They need to be better than Tyler Johnson and Dario Saric. In the case of point guard, much better.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I feel like the impact of having actual NBA players in the rotation this year means to the win total is being underestimated right now. If we can put together a team that is 9-10 players deep and also get some improvement from the young core guys we could see a pretty big turnaround.

I maintain that without a point guard to create for others while keeping opposing defenses honest, this team will struggle to score 70 points and win 10-15 games.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who do you consider a good PG? Most seem to have guys like Rubio and Beverly at that level since they're legit starters. The lower tier seems to the backups who haven't started much, if at all, elsewhere like Joseph, Satoransky, and Shane Larkin. We know the top tier are Kyrie, Kemba, D'Lo, and Brogdon.

We need a legit starter...badly.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
So have some people in Boston who are close to the celts. I’m hearing Rozier is looking for 4yr $60mil. Might be willing to do 3 and $45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I maintain that without a point guard to create for others while keeping opposing defenses honest, this team will struggle to score 70 points and win 10-15 games.
Where do you come up with these takes? The team had arguably the worst PG rotation ever for most of last season (and very little NBA level talent as a whole) and still averaged 107.5 points.

That being said I am not suggesting we don't need another PG and preferably one that is a better distributor than Tyler, but we don't necessarily need DLo or any star PG for this team to have a big turnaround.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Where do you come up with these takes? The team had arguably the worst PG rotation ever for most of last season (and very little NBA level talent as a whole) and still averaged 107.5 points.

That being said I am not suggesting we don't need another PG and preferably one that is a better distributor than Tyler, but we don't necessarily need DLo or any star PG for this team to have a big turnaround.

We lost our second leading scorer and are about to lose our third leading scorer, and we didn't replace them. TJ Warren and Josh Jackson, for all of their faults, could create shots for themselves. Right now, Booker is the only one left who can do that. (Even Ayton, at this early stage, needs to be set up properly, as we saw last season.) Again, I agree that we don't need a star, but what we do need is a quality facilitator who can and will create shots for others while having a good enough outside shot to keep defenses honest (so they do not just sag off and play the passing lanes).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Hyperbole.

They scored more than that with Canaan on the floor.

This is what you keep saying over and over and its bordering on some of the stupidest comments I've ever seen on this board. Ridiculous. It just flies in the face of objective fact.

The Lakers won for years with Derek Fisher and Brian Shaw at PG. Who did the Heat have at PG with their big three?

Tyler Johnson is at least as good as as those two. So is Cory Joseph. The Suns can win with this lineup if the young guys can continue to grow.

PG Joseph/Johnson/Jerome
SG Booker/Bridges/Jerome
SF Oubre/Bridges
PF Saric/Cam Johnson
C Ayton/Baynes

IMO the problem is I dont think this team can win a championship. I think it can get to the playoffs in a year or two.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hyperbole.

They scored more than that with Canaan on the floor.

This is what you keep saying over and over and its bordering on some of the stupidest comments I've ever seen on this board. Ridiculous. It just flies in the face of objective fact.

The Lakers won for years with Derek Fisher and Brian Shaw at PG. Who did the Heat have at PG with their big three?

Tyler Johnson is at least as good as as those two. So is Cory Joseph. The Suns can win with this lineup if the young guys can continue to grow.

PG Joseph/Johnson/Jerome
SG Booker/Bridges/Jerome
SF Oubre/Bridges
PF Saric/Cam Johnson
C Ayton/Baynes

IMO the problem is I dont think this team can win a championship. I think it can get to the playoffs in a year or two.

Who creates the open shots for Bridges, Saric, Ayton, Cam Johnson and Baynes with that roster?

It's not just the lack of a facilitating point guard. It's that combined with a roster full of players who cannot create shots for themselves.

We don't have a "big 3" to go with our point guard. And we have lost over 30 ppg in scoring from last year's line-up without replacing it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
We lost our second leading scorer and are about to lose our third leading scorer, and we didn't replace them. TJ Warren and Josh Jackson, for all of their faults, could create shots for themselves. Right now, Booker is the only one left who can do that. (Even Ayton, at this early stage, needs to be set up properly, as we saw last season.) Again, I agree that we don't need a star, but what we do need is a quality facilitator who can and will create shots for others while having a good enough outside shot to keep defenses honest (so they do not just sag off and play the passing lanes).
Other guys will pick up that scoring and the team has more shooting as a whole. Oubre will likely average around 18-20 points, Ayton will likely increase his average, Booker may increase his average, Tyler or whoever the starting PG is will likely average something around 15 points.

Looking at the guys that we currently have only I can see 27 for Booker, 20 for Ayton, 18 for Oubre, 14 for Tyler, 15 for Saric. That is already 94 points and that doesn't include any of the deeper rotation players or guys that we could still add in free agency. The team is quite simply going to have no problem averaging over 100 points.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Who creates the open shots for Bridges, Saric, Ayton, Cam Johnson and Baynes with that roster?
Who created all the shots for the 107 points per game last year? Canaan, Okobo, Melton? Tyler is absolutely better than any of those 3 and I suspect we will also bring in another guard that can at least distribute on Tyler's level. Jerome is another guy that is a much better passer than any of those other guys as well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Other guys will pick up that scoring and the team has more shooting as a whole. Oubre will likely average around 18-20 points, Ayton will likely increase his average, Booker may increase his average, Tyler or whoever the starting PG is will likely average something around 15 points.

Looking at the guys that we currently have only I can see 27 for Booker, 20 for Ayton, 18 for Oubre, 14 for Tyler, 15 for Saric. That is already 94 points and that doesn't include any of the deeper rotation players or guys that we could still add in free agency. The team is quite simply going to have no problem averaging over 100 points.

You're assuming that Oubre is on the roster next season.

Meanwhile, for Ayton to average 20, Oubre 18, Tyler 14 and Saric 15, it will require a quality facilitating point guard, which we don't have.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who created all the shots for the 107 points per game last year? Canaan, Okobo, Melton? Tyler is absolutely better than any of those 3 and I suspect we will also bring in another guard that can at least distribute on Tyler's level. Jerome is another guy that is a much better passer than any of those other guys as well.

Warren and Jackson created a lot of those. With them gone and only Booker left, expect opposing defenses to swarm him even more.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You're assuming that Oubre is on the roster next season.

Meanwhile, for Ayton to average 20, Oubre 18, Tyler 14 and Saric 15, it will require a quality facilitating point guard, which we don't have.
How did the guys score last year with their horrible PG rotation? You act like we are somehow worse off at the PG position right now than we were at the start of last season. We aren't...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How did the guys score last year with their horrible PG rotation? You act like we are somehow worse off at the PG position right now than we were at the start of last season. We aren't...

Warren and Jackson were capable of driving and putting opposing defenses off balance, which indirectly led to open shots. Plus they could create for themselves.

Combine that with not being improved at the PG position, and the result is obvious.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You know you are destroying any credibility you have when you say the suns will only score 70 right?

The last 5 games the suns fielded the worst team imaginable led by Jamal Crawford and had no problems whatsoever scoring 100+

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave