2019 Free Agency

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Yuma

Yuma I got a job! Thanks BigRedRage!

I take Oubre. I think he is still developing. Barnes I believe has established his game as far as he can go. Where Oubre is, with potential, I would roll with Oubre. If I had a playoff team, I'd want consistency, that would be Barnes.

2. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Trading Jackson is not impossible, it's all about the amount of draft pick compensation required

They would only renounce Oubre if they know he is getting a 20 million dollar offer and have no intention of matching

3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I think Harrison still has considerably more appeal based on 3pt % alone. Oubre is still below average where’s Barnes is clearly above average and has hovered around 40% for the past three seasons.

4. taz02

taz02 Registered

Why cant we trade JJ and a first for Russell. Wouldn't that allow us to keep TJ and bring in Russell at a starting salary of 20m or 23 if we ship out Okobo and Melton?

DevonCardsFan likes this.
  5. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn

·
    1m

Sources: Golden State is planning to offer All-Star Klay Thompson a 5-year, $190M maximum contract when free agency opens Sunday at 6 PM ET --- which is expected to accelerate process of GM Bob Myers and Thompson’s agent, Greg Lawrence, quickly reaching formal agreement.

6. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I am sure they would love to, but I am not sure that the Nets would go for it. They have no use for Jackson, and I doubt our pick (if at all protected) has much value.

7. taz02

taz02 Registered

Seems to me that JJ and first would be better than nothing. If they plan to let Russell go any way.

8. Yuma

This is absolutely what I would do. They are already saving money since he didn't make the All NBA team. He has the possibility of doing that in the next five years.

9. Rab

Rab Angry Vedder

This has been the biggest non-story "story" I have seen this offseason from the media. No way they are not offering Klay the max and not a penny less the second they can. They would've paid him the super max had he been eligible. He's as big a part of this Warriors era as Steph in my opinion, even though Steph gets most of the attention. They'd be silly to even consider not giving him every dollar available to him.

10. Ronin

Ronin Registered

11. Yuma

Likely going to a playoff team. I would like him a lot more than Ricky Rubio or other second tier guys we are rumored to be looking at.

12. itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan Registered

This misses the point of my post. I'm quite aware the Oubre cap hold remains if the other team matches.

You are factoring Oubre's cap hold into your cap space. You don't actually have the free space without renouncing Oubre, but because Oubre is a RFA, and you're offering a contract to another RFA, you're allowed to use your own player's cap hold to factor into your space. From what I understand, this is a loophole restricted to only other RFA's. You cannot factor Oubre's cap hold into your cap space if you go after an UFA. So, since this is a loophole, technicality, whatever, is there some catch, like if you use this loophole to make an offer to a RFA, and the RFA's team does not match, are you then bound by rule to renounce your own RFA to honor the contract? No other cap shaving measures allowed.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  13. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I've never heard of a rule that specifically prohibits this but I'd wager that the league and Players Association would consider that as an attempt to circumvent the Free Agent process and the penalty would be quick and significant.

14. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania)
    6/28/19, 3:02 PM
    Sources: The Los Angeles Clippers have extended a qualifying offer to center Ivica Zubac, making him a restricted free agent.

15. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Add him to the list of veteran point guards who would make me happy.