2019 Draft Prospects...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't imagine ANY team trading the 1st pick this year.

Yeah, once a team gets that pick, they're keeping it. He really looks like a possible generational player and if he fails to improve, whoever drafts him will have to settle for a 10 plus year all star.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The unanimous/generational #1 pick hasn’t been traded since Webber.

And, depending on how much you want to believe the stories, that happened in part because the even greater unanimous/generational #1 pick from the year before liked playing with his point guard from Blue Chips!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, depending on how much you want to believe the stories, that happened in part because the even greater unanimous/generational #1 pick from the year before liked playing with his point guard from Blue Chips!

I hadn't heard about that. So, Shaq wanted Penny and then wanted to get away from him?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hadn't heard about that. So, Shaq wanted Penny and then wanted to get away from him?

Looking for confirmation that is better than message board posts, but I'm almost positive Shaq said it in the 30 for 30 "This Magic Moment".

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for confirmation that is better than message board posts, but I'm almost positive Shaq said it in the 30 for 30 "This Magic Moment".

Oh, I wasn't doubting you at all. And although I watch a lot of shows on the NBA and other sports, other than the one Nash did on Terry Fox, I avoided the 30 for 30 episodes. And I wouldn't have even watched that one if it hadn't been for a personal connection.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went back for a refresher as to when the Bucks pick will convey to the Suns. It looks the pick will most likely convey in 2020 when it is only protected 1-7.

Milwaukee will send back Greg Monroe (who has an expiring contract) and a first-round pick, per Wojnarowski. The first round pick has complicated protections: It was convey in 2018 if it’s between 11 and 16, and in 2019 if it’s between 4 and 16, according to John Gambadoro. That means it will likely be conveyed in 2020, when it’s only No. 1 through No. 7 protected, or 2021, when the pick finally becomes fully unprotected.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/7/16617846/eric-bledsoe-trade-suns-bucks-nba-greg-monroe

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Budenholzer going to the Bucks really ruined that pick.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I honestly can't imagine ANY team trading the 1st pick this year.
Has any team traded the 1st overall pick in like the last 10 years?

The Clippers traded the pick that ended up being the 1st overall pick but LAC did the transaction well before the lottery and did not know it would be the 1st overall pick.

I can’t remember the last time the pick was traded.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Has any team traded the 1st overall pick in like the last 10 years?

The Clippers traded the pick that ended up being the 1st overall pick but LAC did the transaction well before the lottery and did not know it would be the 1st overall pick.

I can’t remember the last time the pick was traded.

Cavs traded the first (Wiggins) for Kevin Love.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RJ Barrett tonight, 23 points 16 boards 9 assists as Duke had to play without Jones and Reddish and lost to Syracuse. Jones played 6 min before getting hurt, Reddish has the flu. but if you look past the raw stats, Barrett was 8-30 from the floor, 4-17 from 3 in 45 minutes. Great player but on a bad shooting night to take 30 of your teams 80 shots. Meanwhile Zion went for 35 10 boards 4 blocks 12-20 from the floor..

The best line of the night was Jack White who started for Duke, junior forward from Australia supposed to be a good shooter. 42 minutes 6 boards, 5 assists, 5 fouls and oh year 0 points 0-10 from the floor all missed 3's! Duke went 9-43 from the 3 point line tonight.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah RJ’s failure to recognize his 8-30 . . . 30 . . . shows a complete unawareness. That scares me. Love the confidence, hate the arrogance inherent in that stat. Yes two guys down, but this is Duke. Did they really not have a single other player capable of making shots? I find that difficult to believe.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Trade Booker for Zion if they have to , he's going to have the same type of effect on his team that doncic Is having this year , Zion is the future Face of the nba !

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Trade Booker for Zion if they have to , he's going to have the same type of effect on his team that doncic Is having this year , Zion is the future Face of the nba !
If what you say is true than why on earth would a team give him up?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If what you say is true than why on earth would a team give him up?
It is true, and no, they won't give him up. I was lukewarm on Zion early, but I am all in now.

That kid is shooting 75% from the two. He looks like he is going to develop a decent three, he can dribble well for a forward, and he is averaging 2 blocks and 2 steals a game. He is a defensive nightmare.

BTW. At 285, the only present NBA player heavier than him would be Boban. Yet Zion flies through the air like DJJr. He is very fast too.

He is in the Blake Griffin category of athleticism and skill, but he has a passion for the game and is not a knucklehead.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I’m calling it now. Zion’s going to the Knicks. With the new draft rules bank on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m calling it now. Zion’s going to the Knicks. With the new draft rules bank on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're right. He and Porzingis will make quite the frontcourt duo. I just had to look up to see where he's from before buying into that theory because the league does like to send players to struggling franchises in their hometown. They did it with Lebron, Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis, and Ayton. I'm sure there have been others but it's kind of odd how a team can leapfrog others to get the #1 pick when the consensus #1 pick is from the same city or state of a bad NBA team. Zion went to high school in South Carolina so there's really no "home team" for him to go to, but I guess a case could be made for the Hornets but they're playoff bound it seems.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you're right. He and Porzingis will make quite the frontcourt duo. I just had to look up to see where he's from before buying into that theory because the league does like to send players to struggling franchises in their hometown. They did it with Lebron, Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis, and Ayton. I'm sure there have been others but it's kind of odd how a team can leapfrog others to get the #1 pick when the consensus #1 pick is from the same city or state of a bad NBA team. Zion went to high school in South Carolina so there's really no "home team" for him to go to, but I guess a case could be made for the Hornets but they're playoff bound it seems.
Charlotte is not far away from Spartanburg. I lived in Greenville/Spartanburg for a time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zion is making me look absolutely stupid. UCLA recruited him like everyone else and my comments on UCLA boards were yeah he's dominant but when he gets to college everyone's bigger he's going to have some issues getting that shot off over bigger guys, and college players won't step aside and let him dunk. Boy does that look stupid now. I won't even bother to say it for the NBA, he's so much better than I thought he was.

In the Syracuse game there was a play where he went up against their big, the kid with the goggles, and he just posted up, jumped into him just enough to bounced the kid back a foot, and then banked it in. I was actually surprised they didn't call a foul too because I think he was fouled. it wasn't really an offensive foul either the motion when he turned and jumped to shoot just happened to be enough contact for him to knock the kid back a foot because he's so strong.

He looks like an NFL DE playing basketball, but right now he's almost always if not always the best athlete on the court, it's stunning to watch.

I hate Duke as much as the next guy but if they can just get RJ Barrett to accept how good Zion is, and pass the ball a bit more, they will probably win it all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really wondering what the NBA thinks of Kevin Porter Jr now? Projected lottery pick, I don't think he's really a PG but many had projected he might be, I think he's a 2/3 not a 1. But he has had injury issues and is now suspended indefinitely over conduct and nobody seems to be saying what that conduct is. he says he's not off the team, some USC fans insist he is. I would assume he's severely harmed his draft stock but he IS exceptionally talented, depending on how he measures he's big enough for a 2 likely not a 3 in the NBA, he's listed at 6'6" I suspect he's a bit smaller but not much. Has length, has shot well considering the injuries. He's not playing PG at USC he's playing the wing, and he looks like a potentially really good defender but badly needed a year of college to work on that because he like most young kids tends to get by on athletic ability.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate Duke as much as the next guy but if they can just get RJ Barrett to accept how good Zion is, and pass the ball a bit more, they will probably win it all.

Yeah but Barrett is making that look like Mission Impossible. If this were a more top heavy draft I might even appreciate Barrett's effort to keep Zion in his place so he'd fall to wherever we were picking but I just don't think any of the 30 NBA teams would be stupid enough to pass on this guy. He's PJ Tucker with elite athleticism and skills, what a mix.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking Zion was all overhyped and And-1 highlight vids in high school but immediately changed my tune watching his debut in the NCAA. We could all be wrong, but that guy is going to be a man amongst lesser men at the nba level he’s that physically superior. As long as injuries don’t derail him.