2019 Draft Prospects...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking Zion was all overhyped and And-1 highlight vids in high school but immediately changed my tune watching his debut in the NCAA. We could all be wrong, but that guy is going to be a man amongst lesser men at the nba level he’s that physically superior. As long as injuries don’t derail him.
He is just a big thick, big-boned kid. I think he will be OK with injuries, but you never know.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Zion is going to hyped more then Luka next year, he's going to take his team no matter who it is( hopefully suns) to a minimum of 5th seed in the playoffs! Calling it now !

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zion is going to hyped more then Luka next year, he's going to take his team no matter who it is( hopefully suns) to a minimum of 5th seed in the playoffs! Calling it now !

That's a bit much. He'll move them to 5th in attendance but not the playoffs, especially if he lands in the West. Keep in mind that rookie Lebron couldn't lead the Cavs to the playoffs. I know he wasn't the best rookie ever but I would imagine Zion will have similar attention paid to him when he enters the league and will likely be the centerpiece of whatever team he lands on.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking Zion was all overhyped and And-1 highlight vids in high school but immediately changed my tune watching his debut in the NCAA. We could all be wrong, but that guy is going to be a man amongst lesser men at the nba level he’s that physically superior. As long as injuries don’t derail him.

Worst case, he's the next Larry Johnson.

IMO, the only way he busts is a couple years into his career when his metabolism changes, like everyone's does in their 20s. If he is that heavy now, he could really blow up in 3-4 years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the bigger Larry Johnson as his comparison crossed also my mind.

nbadraft.net's comparison Barkley/Blake Griffin is not bad either.

I think he's a cross between PJ Tucker and Anthony Davis.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barkley is his best comparison.
It is when he is on the break and his overall physicality. However, he is much more of a face the basket player than Barkley. Barkley played the post game a LOT. Zion would too probably, but that is not where the NBA is today.

Honestly, there is a lot of LeBron in Zion's game. Athleticism, speed, overall size, skill set. It is all very similar to LeBron when he came into the league. LeBron added the shooting after he came in. The thing that makes Zion so intriguing is that he has all the athleticism, skill, and size, plus he has a non-stop motor AND he is an excellent defensive player.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It is when he is on the break and his overall physicality. However, he is much more of a face the basket player than Barkley. Barkley played the post game a LOT. Zion would too probably, but that is not where the NBA is today.

Honestly, there is a lot of LeBron in Zion's game. Athleticism, speed, overall size, skill set. It is all very similar to LeBron when he came into the league. LeBron added the shooting after he came in. The thing that makes Zion so intriguing is that he has all the athleticism, skill, and size, plus he has a non-stop motor AND he is an excellent defensive player.
Zion doesn’t possess Lebron’s ballhandling or passing skills and in my opinion those are what elevated Lebron to not just being special but ALL-TIME special. Zion is not a slouch in any area other than maybe shooting, and I believe he’ll be an all nba teamed multiple times. But I’m a little more skeptical that he’ll take a place in the MJ, Lebron, Magic, Bird, Kobe, Kareem, Russel, Wilt, maybe Shaq (i struggle with where to put him) pantheon.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zion doesn’t possess Lebron’s ballhandling or passing skills and in my opinion those are what elevated Lebron to not just being special but ALL-TIME special. Zion is not a slouch in any area other than maybe shooting, and I believe he’ll be an all nba teamed multiple times. But I’m a little more skeptical that he’ll take a place in the MJ, Lebron, Magic, Bird, Kobe, Kareem, Russel, Wilt, maybe Shaq (i struggle with where to put him) pantheon.
That's interesting. From what I see, Zion is a very good passer and ball handler. It is a bit hard to compare though.

There is a difference in personality though. LeBron is more of a type A competitive athlete, Zion seems to have more of an exuberant personality.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's interesting. From what I see, Zion is a very good passer and ball handler. It is a bit hard to compare though.

There is a difference in personality though. LeBron is more of a type A competitive athlete, Zion seems to have more of an exuberant personality.
He is a good passer and ballhandler . . . for a power forward. But he’s nowhere near the class that James was in those two areas, even when coming into the league straight from high school. Not even close.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Zion is more Carmelo than Lebron, at least at this stage of his basketball life. He's not a chucker but Melo wasn't a chucker when he entered the league either. He was much more under control and could play within a system. I remember watching a lot of Melo and Lebron when they were rookies and I think Melo deserved the Rookie of the Year for getting the Nuggets to the playoffs while Lebron's Cavs fell short. Lebron was much flashier at that stage because he wasn't a great scorer yet but Melo could take over games when it called for that. It's too bad he got his wish and was traded to New York because the Melo in Denver was a damn fine player that could have had a great career but he thought he was a bigger star than he was and once he became a Knick it was downhill from there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Zion is more Carmelo than Lebron, at least at this stage of his basketball life. He's not a chucker but Melo wasn't a chucker when he entered the league either. He was much more under control and could play within a system. I remember watching a lot of Melo and Lebron when they were rookies and I think Melo deserved the Rookie of the Year for getting the Nuggets to the playoffs while Lebron's Cavs fell short. Lebron was much flashier at that stage because he wasn't a great scorer yet but Melo could take over games when it called for that. It's too bad he got his wish and was traded to New York because the Melo in Denver was a damn fine player that could have had a great career but he thought he was a bigger star than he was and once he became a Knick it was downhill from there.
Only thing I can say to that is that Zion doesn't play a dime-a-dozen position. This league is loaded with SFs, but very few PFs in his mold. I'd say that a pretty big difference.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the tweet that goes along with the above.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure he was. He put up 18 shots per game his rookie year while making less than 43% of them and averaging just under 3 assists per game (and 3 turnovers too). And he put up almost 18 shots per game in college too. That screams chucker to me. Zion puts up 10 shots per game and makes an incredibly high percentage of them too. Plus he plays defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he's not even close to the passer/ballhandler LeBron was coming into the league. He had that special, innate passing skills that aren't learned, they're with you when you're born. Zion's looks special, but that's one area that he's not really close to LeBron, IMO. Then again, not many rookies ever have been.