2019 Draft Prospects...

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sorry @Russ Smith Calipari will be too expensive for UCLA now that he’s going to the F4.

Man two bad flameouts in b2b years for UNC and Roy isn’t looking healthy. Could there be three bluebloods opening up if Self bolts to the NBA?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm all for Morant if we're picking #2 or #3 but I do worry about bringing in an older PG that is on borrowed time. Yes, it would be great if we could be patient and give Morant plenty of time to adjust to the NBA game but the NBA isn't what it used to be. You don't see lottery picks wait for that long before getting a starting job. I can already see fans calling for the vet to be benched for Morant if we're not in the thick of a the playoff race and blaming Igor for any issues that may arise.

It would be great if we could find a PG to sign like Ariza did here or Redick has in Philly, just 1 year deals, but we need continuity and besides that I just don't see a PG on the market willing to put aside his own ego to be a good mentor for a year or two.

If we get Morant then we should look for a PG that is a vet who is up to being challenged and ok with being the backup if that's how it plays out.

If they are set on Morant, then you keep Johnson and hope for the best with Morant. No decent point guard is going to sign a short-term deal knowing that the Suns are sold on Morant taking over.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they are set on Morant, then you keep Johnson and hope for the best with Morant. No decent point guard is going to sign a short-term deal knowing that the Suns are sold on Morant taking over.
Again. Derrick Rose. Rose played nearly 70% of his minutes with another pg on the floor with him this year. Rose would be given the starting position. Morant comes of the bench. You basically have a four guard rotation with Rose, Booker, Morant and Tyle. There will be lots of minutes for all.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. If we get #1, take Zion.
#2 take Morant.
#3-5, trade down in the draft for a quality vet and take Garland, Bol Bol, or even Clarke.

The real problem with this that after the top three, the rest of the lottery is pretty much a free for all. There is no particular distinguishing heirarchy. I doubt any one is going to trade much for players in that range.

Garland is an excellent shooting pg, with great handles, a quick release, and a smooth quickness reminiscent of Steve Nash. He is not the distributor that Steve Nash was, but his college sample size is very small. He is probably worth the risk. Melton and Okobo have not measure up. Might as well keep drafting pg's until we get one. One thing is pretty clear. The best college prospects are high efficiency guys. That is why I was so high on Landry Shamet last year. There is a decent chance Garland could become a better pro pg than Morant. The odds are still with Morant though.

Barrett has a lot of cache, but I do not think he will be a star player. I would take Barrett and trade him for Garland plus something if I could.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry @Russ Smith Calipari will be too expensive for UCLA now that he’s going to the F4.

Man two bad flameouts in b2b years for UNC and Roy isn’t looking healthy. Could there be three bluebloods opening up if Self bolts to the NBA?

I don't want Calipari I think he just used UCLA to get a raise.

I think Roy is safe until he retires. Self hard to say probably safe.

I still want Beard or Tony Bennett and I don't think Tony is coming.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So. If we get #1, take Zion.
#2 take Morant.
#3-5, trade down in the draft for a quality vet and take Garland, Bol Bol, or even Clarke.

The real problem with this that after the top three, the rest of the lottery is pretty much a free for all. There is no particular distinguishing heirarchy. I doubt any one is going to trade much for players in that range.

Garland is an excellent shooting pg, with great handles, a quick release, and a smooth quickness reminiscent of Steve Nash. He is not the distributor that Steve Nash was, but his college sample size is very small. He is probably worth the risk. Melton and Okobo have not measure up. Might as well keep drafting pg's until we get one. One thing is pretty clear. The best college prospects are high efficiency guys. That is why I was so high on Landry Shamet last year. There is a decent chance Garland could become a better pro pg than Morant. The odds are still with Morant though.

Barrett has a lot of cache, but I do not think he will be a star player. I would take Barrett and trade him for Garland plus something if I could.

Bingo. Those secondary guys are intriguing but if you can flip that pick for Holliday or Siakam you do it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm all for Morant if we're picking #2 or #3 but I do worry about bringing in an older PG that is on borrowed time. Yes, it would be great if we could be patient and give Morant plenty of time to adjust to the NBA game but the NBA isn't what it used to be. You don't see lottery picks wait for that long before getting a starting job. I can already see fans calling for the vet to be benched for Morant if we're not in the thick of a the playoff race and blaming Igor for any issues that may arise.

It would be great if we could find a PG to sign like Ariza did here or Redick has in Philly, just 1 year deals, but we need continuity and besides that I just don't see a PG on the market willing to put aside his own ego to be a good mentor for a year or two.

If we get Morant then we should look for a PG that is a vet who is up to being challenged and ok with being the backup if that's how it plays out.
This would be a set-up that would at most ask the vet to be ready to start for Morant's rookie season and be ready to be the backup as soon as Morant is ready for the starting role. Maybe that time would be in Morant's 2nd season or maybe it will be somewhere in the first half of his rookie season.

The point is that we wouldn't be handcuffed if Morant isn't ready to lead an NBA team right out of the gates and would allow him to have a smoother transition in the starting role. That would also have us secured at the PG position both in the short term and for the future. It may be the more likely and cheaper scenario to get that, rather than trying to trade for or sign an established good PG in his prime.

I feel like it will be easier and cheaper to trade for or sign a good PF than it will be to get a good PG. At least in the scenario that we are trying to get someone in their prime.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Finding a vet willing to come in and hold the fort until Morant is ready is going to be tough. The first losing streak fans will be calling for Morant.

The way I see it, we either trade the pick with JJ and or TJ for top PG, if that's even an option or we draft Morant and enter next season with Tyler Johnson as our starting PG.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That's why I'm proposing signing an aging vet in that scenario. If they are being signed for decent money and know that they are guaranteed to have a big role whether it's as a starter or off the bench then we could likely get someone to bite. Some possible names would be Rose, Barea or Dragic. The latter two fit the criteria the best as they are both 32+ and clearly trending down and are only going to get lesser roles next year on their current teams.

Barea would possibly be my favorite target of the 3 as he was arguably the biggest reason for Dallas' early season success (along with Doncic of course). He is also an unrestricted free agent and with a decent chance at getting to start for a little bit and definitely play some major minutes, whether he is starting or not, I could see him being willing to sign.

Obviously this is very much dependent upon what is available in a trade prior to and up to the draft and what pick we end up getting. If we get the #1 pick we draft Zion and go all in on a good vet PG. If we get the #2 we see what is available in a trade and if we can't get anything worthwhile we use the pick on Morant and continue with my proposed scenario.

I just don't want to see us in another situation where we are banking on a rookie to be a major difference maker for us. Outside of Zion I am just not sold that any of these guys are going to be difference makers at the start of their rookie season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Finding a vet willing to come in and hold the fort until Morant is ready is going to be tough. The first losing streak fans will be calling for Morant.

The way I see it, we either trade the pick with JJ and or TJ for top PG, if that's even an option or we draft Morant and enter next season with Tyler Johnson as our starting PG.
I wouldn't hate Tyler as the starter for next season, but I do question just how good we can possible be if he is the starter for us. I like that he is a very solid player that doesn't make many mistakes, but I would love to have more of a facilitator next to Booker if possible. Maybe Tyler has more of that in him than he has been able to show so far in his career.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

A Johnson/Morant combo at point guard would be a disaster. If that is what drafting Morant means, I want no part of him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's why I'm proposing signing an aging vet in that scenario. If they are being signed for decent money and know that they are guaranteed to have a big role whether it's as a starter or off the bench then we could likely get someone to bite. Some possible names would be Rose, Barea or Dragic. The latter two fit the criteria the best as they are both 32+ and clearly trending down and are only going to get lesser roles next year on their current teams.

Barea would possibly be my favorite target of the 3 as he was arguably the biggest reason for Dallas' early season success (along with Doncic of course). He is also an unrestricted free agent and with a decent chance at getting to start for a little bit and definitely play some major minutes, whether he is starting or not, I could see him being willing to sign.

Obviously this is very much dependent upon what is available in a trade prior to and up to the draft and what pick we end up getting. If we get the #1 pick we draft Zion and go all in on a good vet PG. If we get the #2 we see what is available in a trade and if we can't get anything worthwhile we use the pick on Morant and continue with my proposed scenario.

I just don't want to see us in another situation where we are banking on a rookie to be a major difference maker for us. Outside of Zion I am just not sold that any of these guys are going to be difference makers at the start of their rookie season.

This times infinity. And I really think Morant is at least 2-3 years away from being a difference maker.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hate Tyler as the starter for next season, but I do question just how good we can possible be if he is the starter for us. I like that he is a very solid player that doesn't make many mistakes, but I would love to have more of a facilitator next to Booker if possible. Maybe Tyler has more of that in him than he has been able to show so far in his career.

I think in the long run we need a point guard that is a real threat and that's not Tyler. But if we don't have a difference maker available to us, I think I'm okay with Johnson as a stop gap although we really haven't seen much of him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns went this direction, starting Johnson, it would probably mean the Suns drafted a rookie point guard like Garland.

Still I would want to add another veteran point guard like Tyus Jones. The Suns need depth at the point guard position next season. I'm not confident enough to depend on Melton and Okobo, whose contracts are guaranteed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nah. Its not like a QB in football. Morant would be getting minutes. Minutes can be adjusted up or down at will regardless of who is starting.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Carsen Edwards from purdue sure can score , definitely would be a better prospect than okobo with their second selection

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cassius Winston while on short in stature plays like a giant putting MSU on his back to get to the FF. Seasoned PG with 3 years of college under his belt.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Not impressed with Duke's other "stars" outside of Zion, at all... Barrett, Reddish, Jones all woefully overrated.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson