2019 Draft Prospects...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I still think Ja Morant has a lot of red flags as a prospect, but I'm pretty sure his stock today went up when Coby White really struggled against Auburn in the Sweet 16.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I still think Ja Morant has a lot of red flags as a prospect, but I'm pretty sure his stock today went up when Coby White really struggled against Auburn in the Sweet 16.

I'm not sure Morant has much competition at point guard early in the draft. Garland is probably the next best player at this position..

Tre jones had a good first half for Duke.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I think if the suns get 3 we have a chance at Morant, but it really depends on who gets 2.

If they get 4 or 5 they should trade the pick. If we get 6 I would just draft garland.

He is not a great distributor, but he looks like he could be a great scorer. He is kind of a poor mans trae young.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Well, I think if the suns get 3 we have a chance at Morant, but it really depends on who gets 2.

If they get 4 or 5 they should trade the pick. If we get 6 I would just draft garland.

He is not a great distributor, but he looks like he could be a great scorer. He is kind of a poor mans trae young.

Garland's change of speed is unbelievable.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not sure Morant has much competition at point guard early in the draft. Garland is probably the next best player at this position..

Tre jones had a good first half for Duke.
IMO if we get 3 nd Morant gets picked at 2, the #3 becomes extremely valuable. RJ is just that good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
IMO if we get 3 nd Morant gets picked at 2, the #3 becomes extremely valuable. RJ is just that good.

We totally agree on this. Barrett will be a very good NBA player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Barrett could go as early as #2 in the draft depending on draft order.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Haven't been the biggest Barret fan this year but he looks good tonight , he's been arguably more important than Zion in this game so far

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think this would be my plan as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Zion plays in a different world than the other players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Blackshear Jr. is a load.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is the second time I have seen Zion hook using his elbow.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We totally agree on this. Barrett will be a very good NBA player.

He might be solid, but not spectacular.

I think his ceiling is derozen. Don’t want the suns going after him.

After further review perhaps drafting Brandon Clark at 4 or 5 might not be a bad idea.

I wish he was a couple inches taller and could shoot better, but he is darn good at what he does.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I maintain that the Suns should trade the pick if it is not #1, unless they can flip Jackson and Warren for an actual NBA player or two. I just don't want any rookies in the regular rotation next year.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Which will happen only with the right coaching and development and a system that utilizes him properly.

This is so true. I said before the draft he’s not an alpha and doesn’t look to take over games/play physical. I’m careful calling him soft because he’s laid back by nature. He’s almost as afraid to dunk on someone then get dunked on. Again not calling him soft but you want your franchise center to play mean at times. I can remember two times that happened in college. At Oregon and vs USC in the P12 tournament. The right coach to challenge him yet garner his respect is essential for his growth.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Warming to idea of Coby White as the SGA of this draft.Would certainly be disappointing to end this season with him as the “prize” but an athletic 6’5 pg . . . could do worse if he develops.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Perhaps he would, but I would still rather have an established NBA point guard.
Drafting Morant gives them a little more flexibility with looking for a PG in free agency for next season. They would be able to focus on an aging vet to start next season and potentially be the backup the year after. This would allow for Morant to develop without it hurting the win/loss record for next season. If Morant develops quickly and is ready to start at some point in his rookie season than throw him in there, but only if it is what's best for winning games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps he would, but I would still rather have an established NBA point guard.

Sure as long as "established" doesn't include someone like Rozier. I'd give Rozier a chance if he was reasonably priced and our best option but rookie or not, I think Morant is a far better option if we're in his range. To me, Brogdon is probably the bottom of the barrel of established point guards that I'd be interested in. Anyone below him and I'd settle for a quality rookie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Warming to idea of Coby White as the SGA of this draft.Would certainly be disappointing to end this season with him as the “prize” but an athletic 6’5 pg . . . could do worse if he develops.

Perhaps similar to Shai?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He might be solid, but not spectacular.

I think his ceiling is derozen. Don’t want the suns going after him.

After further review perhaps drafting Brandon Clark at 4 or 5 might not be a bad idea.

I wish he was a couple inches taller and could shoot better, but he is darn good at what he does.

I like what Clark brings to the table.

In regard to Barrett, I think he is probably second or third best player in the draft. If the Suns pass on him after Zion and Morant they may regret it. On the other hand his draft rights can probably bring an excellent return in a trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drafting Morant gives them a little more flexibility with looking for a PG in free agency for next season. They would be able to focus on an aging vet to start next season and potentially be the backup the year after. This would allow for Morant to develop without it hurting the win/loss record for next season. If Morant develops quickly and is ready to start at some point in his rookie season than throw him in there, but only if it is what's best for winning games.

I'm all for Morant if we're picking #2 or #3 but I do worry about bringing in an older PG that is on borrowed time. Yes, it would be great if we could be patient and give Morant plenty of time to adjust to the NBA game but the NBA isn't what it used to be. You don't see lottery picks wait for that long before getting a starting job. I can already see fans calling for the vet to be benched for Morant if we're not in the thick of a the playoff race and blaming Igor for any issues that may arise.

It would be great if we could find a PG to sign like Ariza did here or Redick has in Philly, just 1 year deals, but we need continuity and besides that I just don't see a PG on the market willing to put aside his own ego to be a good mentor for a year or two.

If we get Morant then we should look for a PG that is a vet who is up to being challenged and ok with being the backup if that's how it plays out.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I maintain that the Suns should trade the pick if it is not #1, unless they can flip Jackson and Warren for an actual NBA player or two. I just don't want any rookies in the regular rotation next year.
When you are a bad team, the draft become addictive. Those high picks bring such hype and hope that it is hard to let go of them, even for a decent veteran player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we can draft Morant, I would love to sign Derrick Rose. I think Rose will come fairly cheaply and no one is going to sign him to a long term contract. Morant's game is similar to Rose coming out. With Morant and Tyler, the injury risk for Rose is mitigated. And since Rose has significantly improved his shooting, he can play the two as well.

Then we just need a pf or center. I would not mind getting a center and gradually giving Ayton some pf time.

I would also not mind trading future first round picks for players that can help us now. We do need vets more than rookies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn