2019 Draft Prospects...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather trade Booker and our pick for him, Zion and ayton would be the best frontcourt in the NBA for years to come

I'd trade Ayton and our pick this year. We don't have a generational talent on this team. Someone who has both the elite talent AND the SUPER DRIVE and the LEADERSHIP skills a generational talent has.

Zion has all three. Any team that ever really challenged for a title has to have at least one of those guys. I fear Booker's inability or indifference to play D will relegate him to a ceiling of a being a GREAT #2 on a title winner, but not #1. And Ayton's motor issues I think keep him to a ceiling of a GREAT #2 as well. Both could be okay #1s, but I think Zion's got that whole package. Next level athleticism, drive, natural skills and leadership as a freshman. Put him on the team, and Ayton/Booker (whoever we don't need to trade) can be that superb #2.

All that said... no one is trading that pick.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I only caught the end of that Duke game, wish I could have seen more. Reddish, I think it was, reminded me of Booker with that big 3 at the end and then a boneheaded drive. Thankfully for Duke they were able to review the call and reversed the offensive foul. That was big. Then Zion seemed to grab that final rebound. I don't know if he was credited with the rebound so much as he wasn't let anyone else come up with it. You don't have to see much of him to see he has that "it" factor.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh man. I hope not. That would be horrible for this league.

By the time Zion is up for a new contract LeBron will either be retired or on his last legs and Clutch dies with LeBron's career.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question for the Zion fans, would you trade Ayton for him? Our pick plus Ayton would be really steep but something like Bucks picks, future 1st, and Ayton for Zion?

Maybe it's easier to ask, what wouldn't you trade for Zion? Using all Suns players and picks.

I'd give up Booker for sure. Ayton i'd have to sleep on that notion, too early still.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd give up Booker for sure. Ayton i'd have to sleep on that notion, too early still.

Well, sure you would, you're convinced Booker is more of a problem than a solution. I think you're way wrong on Booker but I'd trade him for Zion in a heartbeat. I would offer Ayton first though and if that's what it took, I'd trade both of them for him. Plus picks, of course.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well, sure you would, you're convinced Booker is more of a problem than a solution. I think you're way wrong on Booker but I'd trade him for Zion in a heartbeat. I would offer Ayton first though and if that's what it took, I'd trade both of them for him. Plus picks, of course.
No way I would trade both of them for Zion. You don't win in this league with one star player and trading away what appears to be two to get one (even if the one is better than each of the other two). That being said we still don't know just how good Zion will be at the NBA level. He isn't the offensive talent of someone like Luka or LeBron and while he is an amazing defensive talent, him being outstanding offensively is going to be extremely important to him ever reaching the level of effectiveness of someone like LeBron or even what Luka has been able to do as a rookie. I do think he will be a very good offensive player, but I am not sure that he is built to be a very high usage player on that end.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Tre Jones? It looks like he might be available late first round/early 2nd, and we should have the draft assets to nab a pick in that range if he doesn't fall to us.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Tre Jones? It looks like he might be available late first round/early 2nd, and we should have the draft assets to nab a pick in that range if he doesn't fall to us.
I like Jones as a project PG but I think he's really just a slightly better version of Melton right now, he's a great defender and ok passer and a work in progress on offense, but ya I'd take a flyer on him end of the 1st or 2nd round for sure

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would not go all in on Zion. We are building a team that reminds me of a young Trail Blazers team in the late eighties early nineties. Lots of really good parts. Just hit at the wrong time in NBA history. We have a lot of yound guys developing. We could be a very good overall team like those blazers teams.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way I would trade both of them for Zion. You don't win in this league with one star player and trading away what appears to be two to get one (even if the one is better than each of the other two). That being said we still don't know just how good Zion will be at the NBA level. He isn't the offensive talent of someone like Luka or LeBron and while he is an amazing defensive talent, him being outstanding offensively is going to be extremely important to him ever reaching the level of effectiveness of someone like LeBron or even what Luka has been able to do as a rookie. I do think he will be a very good offensive player, but I am not sure that he is built to be a very high usage player on that end.

This. No way I give up both. One and some picks? Yes!

Zion is probably truly closer to 6’6” and in some ways reminds me of Chuck. Can put up 40 and grab 20 on any given night.

So what makes him more effective? Playing him next to Booker or Ayton!?!?

It’s a great debate.

I hope we get the first pick and have to trade nothing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. No way I give up both. One and some picks? Yes!

Zion is probably truly closer to 6’6” and in some ways reminds me of Chuck. Can put up 40 and grab 20 on any given night.

So what makes him more effective? Playing him next to Booker or Ayton!?!?

It’s a great debate.

I hope we get the first pick and have to trade nothing.

I suspect I initially read this the wrong way, thought you were asking what could make him more effective than Barkley. This is how I would have responded if that truly was your question:

His work ethic, his leadership, his team first mentality and the fact his defense is probably better than his offense. I'd trade the whole damned team if that's what it took. I'd certainly much rather keep our core and add him to it but by himself, he's a better core than we currently have IMO. It's always a challenge to predict how players will adapt and adjust to the NBA game but he seems like such a sure thing that I wouldn't hesitate to do whatever it took to get him. The only scary part for me would be dealing with the mess we'd be in if he cost us everything and then went down with a serious injury.

If you were asking who would he line up better next to, that's a tough call. I'd say a healthy Booker, easily, but I don't know if we can ever count on that. So I guess I'd call it a toss-up as both Booker and Ayton would likely fit great next to him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I suspect I initially read this the wrong way, thought you were asking what could make him more effective than Barkley. This is how I would have responded if that truly was your question:

His work ethic, his leadership, his team first mentality and the fact his defense is probably better than his offense. I'd trade the whole damned team if that's what it took. I'd certainly much rather keep our core and add him to it but by himself, he's a better core than we currently have IMO. It's always a challenge to predict how players will adapt and adjust to the NBA game but he seems like such a sure thing that I wouldn't hesitate to do whatever it took to get him. The only scary part for me would be dealing with the mess we'd be in if he cost us everything and then went down with a serious injury.

If you were asking who would he line up better next to, that's a tough call. I'd say a healthy Booker, easily, but I don't know if we can ever count on that. So I guess I'd call it a toss-up as both Booker and Ayton would likely fit great next to him.
I think it's pretty clear which question he was asking (who he would be better playing with). ;)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear which question he was asking (who he would be better playing with). ;)

Yeah, it should have been but like I said, I misunderstood initially. Having typed out my response before figuring it out, I decided to keep the original text in addition to adding clarification and a more relevant answer.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Question for the Zion fans, would you trade Ayton for him? Our pick plus Ayton would be really steep but something like Bucks picks, future 1st, and Ayton for Zion?

Maybe it's easier to ask, what wouldn't you trade for Zion? Using all Suns players and picks.

Yes. He’s Blake Griffin with more defensive upside.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your last paragraph is what I was referencing. It's an interesting debate for sure and why I brought it up. I have to think about it myself. My gut says Ayton but Booker when he does on one of his streaks is simply unstoppable which is hard to find.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's asking about trading for Zion, so I answered. The only 2 real players that could land Zion are Ayton or Booker. So to answer his question, Booker yes I would if Booker landed Zion. Ayton I said I'm still on the fence and cant give an answer just yet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't believe there is talk of trading Booker and Ayton for Zion.

Every draft there would be talk of trading for the next big thing.

I do hope the Suns get lucky in the lottery where they can draft him #1.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe there is talk of trading Booker and Ayton for Zion.

Every draft there would be talk of trading for the next big thing.

I do hope the Suns get lucky in the lottery where they can draft him #1.

It's not so much there is talk about it because I asked the question. If people were talking about it unprompted then I could see your reaction making more sense but in this instance I don't see the issue of debating whether someone would trade one or both of them for Zion. I think that helps put the potential impact Zion could have into some perspective for people that haven't seen him play or seen much of him on the court. I wouldn't be surprised at all if everyone said they would trade Jackson or Bridges or Warren or some combo of those guys because they are good players but they aren't superstars. Even if they were to become stars it's unlikely they'll ever be the sort of stars like Zion that a team can be built around.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score

This....I was chatting with Jerry C the other night and mentioned Ja Morant....He immediately said, if you are the suns, you pray that you get the #1 pick and take Zion. He went on to say how he is a generational talent that doesnt come along once but in every 10 years. I will side with Jerry.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not so much there is talk about it because I asked the question. If people were talking about it unprompted then I could see your reaction making more sense but in this instance I don't see the issue of debating whether someone would trade one or both of them for Zion. I think that helps put the potential impact Zion could have into some perspective for people that haven't seen him play or seen much of him on the court. I wouldn't be surprised at all if everyone said they would trade Jackson or Bridges or Warren or some combo of those guys because they are good players but they aren't superstars. Even if they were to become stars it's unlikely they'll ever be the sort of stars like Zion that a team can be built around.

Absolutely no harm discussing anything. I was only giving my take.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The most interesting scenario is if We end up at #2

Barrett is clearly the #2 prospect

So many options:

- draft barrett and go without a „true“ PG
- draft barrett to be the starting SF and see what you do with our SFs
- draft barrett and see what you do with Booker
- draft barrett and trade him for a lower pick plus assets to draft Morant

Not clear to me at all which the best move would be