2019 Draft Prospects...

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Of course this draft has to be weak at the two positions the sun's need for next year. Rebuild is gonna continue at least one more year unless we strike gold with a PG or Zion this year's draft

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Of course this draft has to be weak at the two positions the sun's need for next year. Rebuild is gonna continue at least one more year unless we strike gold with a PG or Zion this year's draft
Or someone to trade for a non-rookie Point Guard who can lead the offense effectively.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saw on ESPN this morning, Morant was averaging 10.+ assists per game. Best in college ball, I think.

He's also averaging over 5 turnovers per game, which has to be among the worst in college ball, if not THE worst.

Above all else, in order to change their losing culture, they need players, and especially a point guard, who are/is fundamentally sound, steady and reliable. Morant is none of those...even at a low college level.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He's also averaging over 5 turnovers per game, which has to be among the worst in college ball, if not THE worst.

Above all else, in order to change their losing culture, they need players, and especially a point guard, who are/is fundamentally sound, steady and reliable. Morant is none of those...even at a low college level.
And, as I said in Post 302 - above - with NBA experience (in addition to what you mentioned) to "quarterback" this young team.

A rookie Point Guard will need some years to get accustomed to the league, while the other young guys (especially Ayton) would be delaying their growth.

Look at how many young guys the Suns have looked to (rather unsuccessfully) to be somewhat of a facilitator.

And, as you and I have agreed from the get-go, a Head Coach talented enough to be successful, despite our weak ownership/Front Office situation. Despite them. That is the reality!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
While I haven't seen this kid (Morant) play, I don't get the hype. This team doesn't need a rookie point guard. They need a veteran who can play. Not a star, not a great player, just a competent one who will be able to do what a point guard needs to do. I get more excited about the likes of Collison or Rubio than I do about another rookie. They have enough youngsters. They need a veteran point guard who will be competent defensively, be able to make a pass, dribble the ball, shoot at a decent rate from behind the line and most importantly help them calm their tits. Just about every damn game they lose because they get excited and start doing stupid stuff. They need a guy who will be able to help them not do that.

Get a Collison or a Rubio. If you need to trade your pick, do it, even if the player drafted with that pick ends up being a better player than the PG you overpay. Now, if you get a chance to get a star, go for it, but I don't think that's necessary.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And, as I said in Post 302 - above - with NBA experience (in addition to what you mentioned) to "quarterback" this young team.

A rookie Point Guard will need some years to get accustomed to the league, while the other young guys (especially Ayton) would be delaying their growth.

Look at how many young guys the Suns have looked to (rather unsuccessfully) to be somewhat of a facilitator.

And, as you and I have agreed from the get-go, a Head Coach talented enough to be successful, despite our weak ownership/Front Office situation. Despite them. That is the reality!
When you say “years” you mean DeAaron Fox who is leading his team to a surge in additional wins in his second year? It’s not so black and white as you paint it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is a 2019 draft prospects thread, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility to discuss an upcoming draft pick that may actually be a point guard since that’s still a position we have a need for.

There are a lot of other threads to complain about not having a veteran point guard in.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
While I haven't seen this kid (Morant) play, I don't get the hype. This team doesn't need a rookie point guard. They need a veteran who can play. Not a star, not a great player, just a competent one who will be able to do what a point guard needs to do. I get more excited about the likes of Collison or Rubio than I do about another rookie. They have enough youngsters. They need a veteran point guard who will be competent defensively, be able to make a pass, dribble the ball, shoot at a decent rate from behind the line and most importantly help them calm their tits. Just about every damn game they lose because they get excited and start doing stupid stuff. They need a guy who will be able to help them not do that.

Get a Collison or a Rubio. If you need to trade your pick, do it, even if the player drafted with that pick ends up being a better player than the PG you overpay. Now, if you get a chance to get a star, go for it, but I don't think that's necessary.

Collison, yes. Teague, yes. Russell, yes. No to Rubio. He has proved to be a one-year wonder and in any event will not be able to shoot well enough to keep defenses honest.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

Rubio is pretty bad now, Id be very disappointed if we over pay for him, I see that signing being just like the ariza one.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This is a 2019 draft prospects thread, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility to discuss an upcoming draft pick that may actually be a point guard since that’s still a position we have a need for.

There are a lot of other threads to complain about not having a veteran point guard in.

Did I say it was out of the realm of possibility to discuss Morant (whatever the hell that means)? I think it's also fine to discuss how that player compares to other possibilities at that position. I am really not sure what your point is.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When you say “years” you mean DeAaron Fox who is leading his team to a surge in additional wins in his second year? It’s not so black and white as you paint it.

Fox also had far better overall results over far better competition and actually led his team to wins over quality opponents.

Apples and oranges.

And the Kings were horrendous with Fox at the helm last year.

Do you really want yet another season more like this one?

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
How is he "bad"?
Bad for the contract he is going to get, obvious better than what we have, I get every Utah game I've seen him play alot this year he takes alot of bad shots, he's not a long term solution for the sun's, collision probably wouldn't be either but much rather have him

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Did I say it was out of the realm of possibility to discuss Morant (whatever the hell that means)? I think it's also fine to discuss how that player compares to other possibilities at that position. I am really not sure what your point is.
Did you read BC’s post above yours?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh crap! I have BC on ignore, along with 1Suns and 1Tin-whatever. Sorry dude, my bad! I thought your post was rather odd, but didn't think about the folks on my ignore list.
No worries, I didn't quote him either, so that's my fault. I saw your post but didn't read it until after I responded to BC. My bad too.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fox also had far better overall results over far better competition and actually led his team to wins over quality opponents.

Apples and oranges.

If it means we have a pg as good as fox in year 2, yes.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Apples and oranges.

Fox didn't have better results, that is purely your fantasy.

And drafting Morant does not prevent the Suns from signing a veteran PG.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Fox led his team to several victories over high major opponents. Morant has a grand total of zero such victories.

And if the Suns sign a veteran PG that is a legitimate starter (rather than trash like Isaiah Canaan or a mediocre back-up shooting guard in a point guard's body like Tyler Johnson), if Zion and Barrett are off the board, and if there is no way to trade the pick for a power forward, then I guess I am okay with taking a flyer on Morant, knowing he won't be ready to contribute in the NBA for at least 2-3 years, if ever.

The problem I have is with the concept of addressing the point guard position solely with Morant, starting him from day one, and annointing him the savior of our franchise.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No. But is does make it much more difficult to get a pg AND a pf.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would be OK with Coby Wright from the Tar Heels. Big PG at 6'5" from a big school. If we did trade down. I would be ok with any of the top PF in the draft, assuming we don't get Zion.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no it does not

as if we are drafting a solution at PF when there is not even a highly rated PF prospect in the entire class
If we draft Morant we then have to sign a vet pg!as well in order to give Morant time to develop. But we also have to sign a vet pf too. It’s harder to sign two quality players in free agency than one.

We could, however trade that pick for a pf. Then we could sign a quality pg. That should be easier. If we really believe in Morant, we should draft him and figure the rest out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn