2018 3rd round pick is C Mason Cole

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a dynamite pick thus far.
I read absolutely NOTHING about this kid before the draft. Based on what I've seen so far, I can't understand why he didn't go higher in the draft. He looks like he was born to be an offensive lineman.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Harry the message boards resident draft expert was really against the pick if I recall correctly.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read absolutely NOTHING about this kid before the draft. Based on what I've seen so far, I can't understand why he didn't go higher in the draft. He looks like he was born to be an offensive lineman.
Average athletically & his hand placement was a bit inconsistent.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
IMO, the NFL center position, similar to the other offensive line positions, is one in which guys grow into, and get better at, during their 2nd and 3rd years.

Oline positions rely a lot on strength, and a moving into your mid-twenties, added to an NFL-level strength development program, I think allows guys to reach a different level of physical conditioning than they might have had coming out of college.

My point is, that if Cole is can hold down the position as a rookie, he's got a chance long-term to be pretty good, maybe even great, because we can reasonably expect him to improve (significantly) over the next couple of years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is because we tend to look at the wrong things when looking at college linemen. I am as guilty of this as most. Cole was moved from C to LT in 2017. He was a James Daniels/Pat Elflein C prospect in 2016. People looked at his move to LT, and average play at the position, as a negative instead of a positive. That is what dropped him in the draft when it instead should have elevated him. The ability to be able to move and start from C to LT at Michigan is a pretty glowing endorsement of your football abilities, but because it wasn't viewed from that lens, he dropped.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Yes they have. All he needs to do is gain about ten pounds of muscle this off-season and he will be fine. He's got everything else you could want in a center. Smart, good feet, moves well, positions himself quickly and he is durable.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One thing I noticed Cole was good at is pulling. He didn't seem to have any problems getting out ahead of it and finding someone to block. I'm guessing that should be a positive for Kingsbury's offense? If that's the case, I don't think that fares well for Shipley hanging around as the backup. Sure he's smart and experienced. But the dude has lead in his feet. It might just be a really bad match for Kingsbury's offense.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One thing I noticed Cole was good at is pulling. He didn't seem to have any problems getting out ahead of it and finding someone to block. I'm guessing that should be a positive for Kingsbury's offense? If that's the case, I don't think that fares well for Shipley hanging around as the backup. Sure he's smart and experienced. But the dude has lead in his feet. It might just be a really bad match for Kingsbury's offense.

The Shipley extension was another ridiculous move by the GM. Still don't see how he survived given the on and off field issues.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The Shipley extension was another ridiculous move by the GM. Still don't see how he survived given the on and off field issues.

Completely disagree. I don't think AQ is a good player but he is well respected by the team/teammates. Signing him for 1 year (2019) was a sign of respect to AQ, extra motivation for him during rehab, and a classy move by the organization.

I doubt this costs the Cardinals much of anything (cap wise). He gets a chance to fight for the starting C job (wink wink), a back-up role, or they cut him in camp.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson