2018 3rd round pick is C Mason Cole

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
From watching that video, it looks like he could still develop a lot physically. Looks like he could add a bit more bulk and get a lot stronger. What I see on tape is that he already understands angles for seal off blocks and if he can improve physically, he can be a starting C in the NFL.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just looked at my Lindys' College Football 2017 preview magazine. They had Mason Cole as the first team Center on the All Big-Ten team and 2nd team All American Center.
Unfortunately for him, HC Harbaugh asked him to play LT to help the team which he did but was not his best position. He could be the Cards starting center for the next 10 years!!

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds like Shipleys days could be numbered .Cards have Shipley,Boehm,Cole,Allen,and Munyer all listed as Centers.
Shipley has great value as a backup at a minimum. Shipley he will play in 2018 for Cardinals when regular season starts.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Summing up: He's a JOATMON (i.e. Jack of All Trades yada yada).

But that's OK - sounds like a lunchpail guy with brains - one of those gritty, less-flashy types who keep their heads down and enjoy productive 10 year pro careers.
Cards said the same about Boehm. Hope this pick ends up better.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Shipley has great value as a backup at a minimum. Shipley he will play in 2018 for Cardinals when regular season starts.

Boy I hope not! I want to see someone with more athleticism play that position. Shipley is ok at not going backward in pass pro, but is terrible getting movement in the run game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Boy I hope not! I want to see someone with more athleticism play that position. Shipley is ok at not going backward in pass pro, but is terrible getting movement in the run game.

Shipley is an average NFL starter on the offensive line. He doesn't have any overwhelming physical traits, but he seems smart and is a solid technician. The problem with offensive line play is that when you have some crap around you, the entire line looks like crap. Pair Shipley with solid guard play, and he is a decent NFL starter.

My issue with Cole as a prospect is that I don't think his ceiling is much higher than Shipley. I think he is probably going to be about as good a Shipley is, which is an average starter. Not a bad player, not a great player, but someone who will come in and play his butt off and not embarrass himself. I'm not crazy about this pick because I view this as drafting the same player you already have, why not bring in something different.

I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong, and Cole certainly should be capable of being a starter down the road while providing depth at three positions. I don't love the idea of using a third rounder on a guy that you talk about providing depth so high; in the third round I'm still looking for guys with really good measureables or guys that are outstanding football players.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
[QU
Shipley is an average NFL starter on the offensive line. He doesn't have any overwhelming physical traits, but he seems smart and is a solid technician. The problem with offensive line play is that when you have some crap around you, the entire line looks like crap. Pair Shipley with solid guard play, and he is a decent NFL starter.

My issue with Cole as a prospect is that I don't think his ceiling is much higher than Shipley. I think he is probably going to be about as good a Shipley is, which is an average starter. Not a bad player, not a great player, but someone who will come in and play his butt off and not embarrass himself. I'm not crazy about this pick because I view this as drafting the same player you already have, why not bring in something different.

I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong, and Cole certainly should be capable of being a starter down the road while providing depth at three positions. I don't love the idea of using a third rounder on a guy that you talk about providing depth so high; in the third round I'm still looking for guys with really good measureables or guys that are outstanding football players.

OTE="Krangthebrain, post: 3699650, member: 172"]Shipley is an average NFL starter on the offensive line. He doesn't have any overwhelming physical traits, but he seems smart and is a solid technician. The problem with offensive line play is that when you have some crap around you, the entire line looks like crap. Pair Shipley with solid guard play, and he is a decent NFL starter.

I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong, and Cole certainly should be capable of being a starter down the road while providing depth at three positions. I don't love the idea of using a third rounder on a guy that you talk about providing depth so high; in the third round I'm still looking for guys with really good measureables or guys that are outstanding football players.[/QUOTE]

Shipley is on the last year of his deal.

Having his heir apparent doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This was a really solid pick IMO. He can play C. He has great size for that spot, and he has position versatility. Very durable which our line needs. He has the durability and mindset to make me think he will stick around. When I watched him in 2016, I would have told you that he is a fringe first rounder. I don't believe it will be tough to get him into a weight room.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Put the guy at C & leave him alone! Cut Shipley & turn the page to our 3 new offensive stars. I don’t think Cole gets pushed back anywhere near the amount of time fire hydrant Shipley does, so I think we’ve upgraded.

Imo C is the most important part of having a very good Oline!!! It’s time

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Put the guy at C & leave him alone! Cut Shipley & turn the page to our 3 new offensive stars. I don’t think Cole gets pushed back anywhere near the amount of time fire hydrant Shipley does, so I think we’ve upgraded.

Imo C is the most important part of having a very good Oline!!! It’s time

I would keep Shipley but have Cole be the starter. Shipley is only costing the Cards $2.3 million this year and will become a free agent in 2019. Cap savings is only $350K. IMO it's good to have an experienced vet backup.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I don't see how drafting Cole is the continuing with the same player we already have. Cole is 6'4 with 32 inch arms. Shipley is 6'1 with 29 inch arms. When you say you would rather try something different, what do you mean? These guys are very different players and I'd say Cole has a much higher ceiling.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't see how drafting Cole is the continuing with the same player we already have. Cole is 6'4 with 32 inch arms. Shipley is 6'1 with 29 inch arms. When you say you would rather try something different, what do you mean? These guys are very different players and I'd say Cole has a much higher ceiling.

There is a lot more to a player than just size; Cole is similar to Shipley AND Sendlein because he is not known as a player who wins battles physical. He's more finesse than power, much like his predecessors.

Most draft analysts, have pegged Cole as maxing out at the average starter level, which wouldn't put his ceiling any higher than Shipley/Sendlein.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
There is a lot more to a player than just size; Cole is similar to Shipley AND Sendlein because he is not known as a player who wins battles physical. He's more finesse than power, much like his predecessors.

Most draft analysts, have pegged Cole as maxing out at the average starter level, which wouldn't put his ceiling any higher than Shipley/Sendlein.

Average starter level is indeed a higher ceiling than Shipley...also, aren't they running a zone blocking scheme now, which should rely more on finesse and handing off blocks, rather than straight up road grating the man in front of you?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just watched draft plan on facebook
Coach wilks didnt look so happy about Cole pick, I dont say he didnt like the player, probably he does, but it looks like he wanted another guy
I have the idea all picks are just keim decision and wilks has been a spectator
But its fine like this, he is a brand new head coach

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Coach wilks didnt look so happy about Cole pick, I dont say he didnt like the player, probably he does, but it looks like he wanted another guy

Wilks looks angry all the time, to me. I wouldn't put much into it.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Imo Shipley isn’t even as good as Sendlein was & I don’t give a darn how he graded on PFF! I know what I saw repeatedly in the last 2 years of him starting.

We shall see if we’ve improved if he stays at center which imo is a must.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, but did you hear who he wanted instead - RB Edmunds - the guy we drafted in the 4th, so I think he is probably ok with it now.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
FWIW I think they were targeting Alex Cappa from Humboldt State - the dude with long hair that Mayock was raving about at the combine, with tape of him throwing guys around that he called the nastiest tape he's ever seen. The Bucs grabbed him 3 picks before the Cards. Cole was probably just next on their board.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Max Unger, Rodney Hudson, James Daniels, and Mason Cole are cut from the same mold. These types of guys can work in the NFL.

I'm not saying he won't. I like how he understands angles and you clearly see him seal off pursuit from linemen. He just doesn't look like he's physical enough.

I think Cole has a good chance to be an average starting center which is why I don't hate the pick. I think this draft had a massive drop off after round 2. Third round prospects looked like day three guys this year compared to other years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not saying he won't. I like how he understands angles and you clearly see him seal off pursuit from linemen. He just doesn't look like he's physical enough.

I think Cole has a good chance to be an average starting center which is why I don't hate the pick. I think this draft had a massive drop off after round 2. Third round prospects looked like day three guys this year compared to other years.
I watched Ryan Jensen at Colorado St University Pueblo be a 6th round pick as a short armed college OT. He kicked inside, and after 4 years earned a huge contract. Cole can be a guy like this.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A 105th-straight start for Mason Cole? First, he'll have to win an NFL job
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Mason Cole hesitated for a second when he thought about how many practices he missed in four years at the University of Michigan.

He really had to think about it.

Was it two? Or was it three?

The Arizona Cardinals' third-round pick finally settled on three and quickly pointed out that they all came in a row during Week 9 of his junior season -- or, as he referred to it, Michigan State Week.
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/po...mason-cole-first-hell-have-to-take-an-nfl-job

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Sendlien played for our superbowl team, correct? I know he was RM's whipping boy, but I always thought he was a little underrated, and that he held that SB squad oline together pretty well. If the Cole kid turns out to be as good as Lyle, it was a great pick.

And I'm with Bucky. I don't give a rat's @ss about a football website's "projected ceiling" for a player coming out of college. Lol.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sendlien played for our superbowl team, correct? I know he was RM's whipping boy, but I always thought he was a little underrated, and that he held that SB squad oline together pretty well. If the Cole kid turns out to be as good as Lyle, it was a great pick.

And I'm with Bucky. I don't give a rat's @ss about a football website's "projected ceiling" for a player coming out of college. Lol.
Lyle and AQ both have the same issue... they are just smaller centers....neither are lacking in effort, smarts, or technique in most cases.

this kid uses leverage pretty well and is bigger than those guys....so we can expect him to be better if he plays just as good....just based on being bigger and a bit more of a load to move

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard