2014 Prediction on Devils Record

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Not to be a homer, but what dictates that UA will beat ASU this year? Have they upgraded enough from last year to establish any reasoning that they will beat ASU? Last years game was so lopsided and ASU's offense really has not changed. The defense obviously is new, but seeing that ASU put up 58 last year, having no defense isn't really going to matter this year. In defense to UA, I haven't really followed any of their recruits, returners, etc.... so they may have upgraded on offense or defense, but will it be enough to take back the TC?
So I guess you'd have no chance against Notre Dame or Stanford or Texas Tech this year? By your standard ASU had no chance against USC last year after getting clobbered by in LA to the tune of 38-17 in 2012. Or UA against Oregon after losing 49-0 to the Ducks in Eugene in 2012. How'd those games turn out in 2013?

It's easy to look at one game but college football can change so dramatically week to week not to mention year by year. Cats ran into a buzzsaw for sure last year in Tempe having just come off the game of the season with basically nothing to play for on the road on Senior Day against an ASU team with a large amount of graduating seniors and at the time everything to play for. ASU was better overall no doubt but UA wasn't 37 points worse than ASU a season ago. That type of result would happen maybe once if they played ten times.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I guess you'd have no chance against Notre Dame or Stanford or Texas Tech this year? By your standard ASU had no chance against USC last year after getting clobbered by in LA to the tune of 38-17 in 2012. Or UA against Oregon after losing 49-0 to the Ducks in Eugene in 2012. How'd those games turn out in 2013?

It's easy to look at one game but college football can change so dramatically week to week not to mention year by year. Cats ran into a buzzsaw for sure last year in Tempe having just come off the game of the season with basically nothing to play for on the road on Senior Day against an ASU team with a large amount of graduating seniors and at the time everything to play for. ASU was better overall no doubt but UA wasn't 37 points worse than ASU a season ago. That type of result would happen maybe once if they played ten times.

Your plethora of excuses and continuing ongoing denial of U of A's inferiority is remarkable.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Your plethora of excuses and continuing ongoing denial of U of A's inferiority is remarkable.

Do you know how to read?

"ASU was better overall (than UA) last year no doubt"

ASU was better than last year. That's pretty obvious to anyone with a brain but we're not talking about the difference between Cal and Stanford here. The gap between a 10-4 and 8-5 team can easily be made up in an off season.

I won't even further address Iceman's ridiculous notion that because Team A beat Team B last year that the same thing happen in the future.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

What's remarkable is ASU's belief that losing almost their entire defense, and having few quality replacements in place to fill the void, will not translate into taking a step back in the standings. Kelly's arm, Strong's hands, and Foster's legs can only carry the team so far.

ASU is one season away from potentially being a 10-win team. Until then, 7-8 wins is not bad considering the transition.

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's remarkable is ASU's belief that losing almost their entire defense, and having few quality replacements in place to fill the void, will not translate into taking a step back in the standings. Kelly's arm, Strong's hands, and Foster's legs can only carry the team so far.

ASU is one season away from potentially being a 10-win team. Until then, 7-8 wins is not bad considering the transition.

Trust me, I am hoping for a repeat season like last year for ASU and trying to optimistic. As much as I want to disagree with your 7-8 win season, it could easily happen if we do not have our defense step up. USC is not the same team as last year and UCLA and Stanford only got better. ND took a slight step back with the academic fraud situation, but also took a step forward with Golson coming back. I am excited to see how everything pans out...

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
What I find amusing is that you can find ua fans saying don't worry about their offense despite no qb experience and losing an All-American rb, because rich rod is such a great offensive coach, yet out the other side of their mouth they deny that ASU can use that reasoning with its' defense and coach Graham...
I predict 9-3 for ASU. Losses to USC on the road, Stanford at home, and a random slip up against a team they should beat.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
What I find amusing is that you can find ua fans saying don't worry about their offense despite no qb experience and losing an All-American rb, because rich rod is such a great offensive coach, yet out the other side of their mouth they deny that ASU can use that reasoning with its' defense and coach Graham...
Of course there's always the fact that Graham has never fielded a good defense (his teams have won at ASU and elsewhere mainly on the back of their offense) at ASU while RR despite major holes at QB and elsewhere has fielded two solid to good offenses at UA.

Thing is, ASU has finished in the top 25 a whopping five times in the last quarter century. I'll believe it when I see it when your program can just start rattling off 9 and 10 win seasons and reload after losing so many starters without a hitch. There's literally only 10-15 programs in the entire country that can do that.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
OK, so Todd Graham has NEVER fielded a good defense at ASU in his long storied 2 years. So, needless to say Rich Rod has never fielded a decent enough offense at ua to take advantage of that porous defense? Heck, rich's amazing offensive prowess propelled ua to a wopping 21 points against ASU last year. That's against a defense that gave up 26.6 over the course of the year. Maybe a little overconfident in Rich's offensive acumen?

Vegas has the over/under at 7.5. I predict 9 wins, but anything less than 8 would be a disappointment. I agree on taking the wait and see approach in general. Have fun watching.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Weber St- W
New Mexico- W
Colorado- W
UCLA- L
USC- L
Stanford- L
Washington- W
Utah- W
Notre Dame- L
Oregon St- L
Washington St- W
Arizona- W

7-5

Man... that 4 game stretch that starts with UCLA is brutal... I have them winning 1 game (Wash), however, that game is up in Seattle and honestly, if we lost I wouldn't at all be shocked. If Graham can somehow pull 8 wins out of this season, it would be an amazing accomplishment. 9 wins and he should win Pac-12 Coach of the Year with ease!!

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course there's always the fact that Graham has never fielded a good defense ....

According to Haller, ASU's defense was first in the PAC12 last year and 3rd the previous year if you analyze strictly in conference games.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ootball-video-chat-with-doug-haller/14681101/

If you factor in all the games, ASU was 3rd in the PAC12 last year
http://espn.go.com/college-football...cs/team/_/stat/defense/id/9/pac-12-conference
and 2nd the year before http://espn.go.com/college-football...e/sort/sacks/year/2012/id/9/pac-12-conference

So are you misinformed or how exactly are you defining "good defense"?

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Since he's a au fan, he probably means that he's used to seeing r
ich rod d. So, he doesn't know what D is...poor guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison