2013 Summer League

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it was during the McDonald's game, one of the announcers said Oden had the potential to be the next Bill Russell. That's definitely more hype than what Wiggins is getting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was during the McDonald's game, one of the announcers said Oden had the potential to be the next Bill Russell. That's definitely more hype than what Wiggins is getting.

I surrender. The next Bill Russell beats the best prospect since Lebron.

Steve

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To be fair to Oden we'll never know how good he could've been due to his injury and the Blazers' subsequent mismanagement of that injury

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't recall anyone ever calling Oden the next David Robinson considering Robinson had the offensive game of a small forward back then.

Besides Oden was not a bust because of lack of talent, it's only injuries. When he was healthy and playing Portland was a dominant defensive team and Oden was what 19 or 20 at the time? There is no telling how great he could have become had he stayed healthy.

I'd guess a healthy Oden would easily be the best center in the league right now so I have a hard time calling Oden a "bust".

But he couldnt stay healthy... in 4 years for the blazers he played a total of 82 games, he is not the first or last guy to be a "bust" because of health.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Direct TV screen guide is showing the Suns playing Portland at 5PM Arizona time on NBA TV. Unless they scramble it or such it looks to be a live game. It would me great to see a live game without having to view it on a internet stream.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oden was certainly hyped quite a bit, I have no idea how to truly compare the two in that regard. I will point out that I didn't invent the Lebron comment, that's how I've heard Wiggins talked about for a few years now. So, in a Hype War, I'd lean towards Wiggins simply because "the next David Robinson" isn't as impressive as "the best prospect since Lebron James".

Steve

I know they're calling him the best prospect since LeBron... but IMO its only because people are forgetting Oden. If they were calling him the NEXT LeBron then I'd view it differently.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/basketball/2004-07-19-oden_x.htm?csp=34

There is a writeup during the summer of Oden's sophomore year. The hype was already over the top. And also worth noting for humor... then included picture looks like he is in his mid 30s.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is more (several more) than 4 or 5 that project as potential superstars but even leaving it at your number, that is considered deep for elite players. Things will change between now and draft day but this looks to be one of the best drafts in recent memory for game-changer talents. There are 4 or 5 first year players that are already considered elite and more will come from this freshman class and that's before you get to the sophomores that are poised to explode.

Steve

hard to say. Wiggins is as close to can't miss as it gets. I think beyond that there's no guarantees on anybody else. I love Randle but he seems to fall in love with playing away from the rim too much. Gordon is a great athlete but he's an undersized 4 who thinks he's a 2 and openly tells reporters he wants to be a 1. I think there's going to be a learning curve with him either to get him to play the right position, or for him to develop the skills(shooting and handle) to play the 3.

Andrew(?) Harrison is really good but again he wants to be a 1 and he's not one.

I like Exum but he needs to get stronger. I'm not sold on Parker yet he's good but he's not as athletic as you'd like. Smart is really good but he's a bit of a tweener, I think he's a terrific college player but might not be a great pro, I waffle on him.

I love Wiggins and I think he picked the right college coach. We'll see if Calipari has the right impact on Randle and Harrison or if he just lets them do whatever they want in which case some NBA team is going to have to persuade them, like with Gordon, that their best position is not what they think it is.

McGary is another interesting guy, he's old for his class but he was awfully good at the end of the year and he's a much better shooter than people realize. he might be a very good player.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
My Direct TV screen guide is showing the Suns playing Portland at 5PM Arizona time on NBA TV. Unless they scramble it or such it looks to be a live game. It would me great to see a live game without having to view it on a internet stream.

Yep, looks like we finally get a live game. Of course, I won't be able to watch it until I get home from work tonight. But much better than being delayed until the next day!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard to say. Wiggins is as close to can't miss as it gets. I think beyond that there's no guarantees on anybody else. I love Randle but he seems to fall in love with playing away from the rim too much. Gordon is a great athlete but he's an undersized 4 who thinks he's a 2 and openly tells reporters he wants to be a 1. I think there's going to be a learning curve with him either to get him to play the right position, or for him to develop the skills(shooting and handle) to play the 3.

Andrew(?) Harrison is really good but again he wants to be a 1 and he's not one.

I like Exum but he needs to get stronger. I'm not sold on Parker yet he's good but he's not as athletic as you'd like. Smart is really good but he's a bit of a tweener, I think he's a terrific college player but might not be a great pro, I waffle on him.

I love Wiggins and I think he picked the right college coach. We'll see if Calipari has the right impact on Randle and Harrison or if he just lets them do whatever they want in which case some NBA team is going to have to persuade them, like with Gordon, that their best position is not what they think it is.

McGary is another interesting guy, he's old for his class but he was awfully good at the end of the year and he's a much better shooter than people realize. he might be a very good player.

I'm sold on Randle but I mentioned the same thing here about Parker a couple of weeks ago. What little I've seen from him just didn't blow me away. I like this freshman class but one of the reasons I'm high on this next draft has to do with the kids that didn't leave this past season, kids like Marcus Smart. I just see it as a much stronger class through the first dozen or so picks.

Steve

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah people forget they were showing Oden's 8th grade games on nationwide cable. I remember watching a few on the old INHD channels cox used to carry.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland dominating the boards early in tonight's game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get to watch a live game and end up listening to Stern talk about teams changing names. I knew it was too good to be true.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah people forget they were showing Oden's 8th grade games on nationwide cable. I remember watching a few on the old INHD channels cox used to carry.

Oden was definitely hyped for a longer period of time than anyone I can think of in recent memory.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland dominating the boards early in tonight's game.

That is a concern but I'm more worried about the Morris twins thinking they are offensive superstars and Marshall's penchant for casual dribbling.

Question: When is it time for a Morris brother to shoot?
Answer: Whenever the ball is in their hands.

Someone should tell them it's okay to pass the ball around and work for a better shot. Unless of course this is the offense Jeff wants us to run and if so, color me very worried. We don't have the shooters for that kind of offensive approach.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Stern reports on a business meeting during the Suns game. :bang:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now we know why they decided to show our game 'live'. :mulli:

Yep NBA TV is basically worthless....but I get the tier for NFL network, which is anything but worthless.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a concern but I'm more worried about the Morris twins thinking they are offensive superstars and Marshall's penchant for casual dribbling.

Question: When is it time for a Morris brother to shoot?
Answer: Whenever the ball is in their hands.

Someone should tell them it's okay to pass the ball around and work for a better shot. Unless of course this is the offense Jeff wants us to run and if so, color me very worried. We don't have the shooters for that kind of offensive approach.

Steve

Let's face it the Suns could lose the Morris twins and Marshall and not be the worse for it. The Morris twins are not inside players and love to gun up the outside shot whenever possible. Shooting from outside is their game. Depending upon my mood I look at them as expiring contacts.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so what Lebron would have looked as old with the same haircut as Oden

Are you kidding me? I swear sometimes you are just arguing with people because you like to argue. Greg Oden looked like he was 50 years old his freshman year at OSU. He reminded me of Bill Russell. He looked like he could be Bill Russell's slightly younger brother.

Yep, looks like we finally get a live game. Of course, I won't be able to watch it until I get home from work tonight. But much better than being delayed until the next day!

yeah, it's too bad we get to watch David Stern talk about things we've all known for 6 months. This is ridiculous. I've had summer league on all week while I work. Finally get a life Phoenix Suns game and they do this. Not to mention this makes my job more difficult.

Joe

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garrett is going off and I can't see it.

Lights

Reaction score
Seems the Suns have pulled out a nice halftime lead. Too bad I'm sitting here looking at Sterns mug.

edit: Suns went on a 24-0 run while we weren't watching.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how Goodwin can drive and draw fouls.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Markieff Morris wide to the right on 3 point attempt.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christmas is showing some game tonight.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I enjoyed hearing our GM interview during the game, if I never hear Sam Mitchell ask another question it will be far too soon. Someone needs to tell him that TV is the wrong place to ask 1000 word questions especially when 980 of the words are unnecessary.

Steve