2012 position of strength- Quarterback!

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
I can't recall the Cardinals entering a season with 3 QBs with as much upside as the team will in 2012:

1. Kevin Kolb- Finally he gets a full off-season of OTAs, mini camps and a training camp to learn the Cardinals system. He has all the tools to be a very special QB in the NFL. Lets hope the injury concerns are behind him.

2. John Skelton- some might argue with me that he should be number one on this list and it would be hard to disagree. "Baby Ben" grew up a lot last season and had some very impressive wins (at Philly, vs SF) to show for his efforts. He too has all the tools to be a very special NFL QB.

3. Ryan Lindley- Just the fact that S.I.com's Peter King would suggest that Lindley is as good or better then other highly touted rookies Tanneyhill, tells you the Cardinals might have found the steal of the draft. Like Skelton, Lindley has the size/arm to be a very special QB in the NFL. No disrespect to R.Bartell but the drafting of Lindley probably meant the end of his Cardinals career.

All "3" of the Cardinals QBs offer immense upside. All are young and eager to prove themselves. All should take huge steps forward this off-season under John McNulty- who did very special things at Rutgers with the QBs and that was why Schiano wanted him in Tampa Bay as the OC this year.

In the NFL you are only as good as your QB, and I think the Cardinals have as much depth at the position as they have had in a long time!

Go Cardinals!
Tim in NJ

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm, I'm just checking the calendar and it doesn't read April 1.

???

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't recall the Cardinals entering a season with 3 QBs with as much upside as the team will in 2012:

Warner was better than all 3 of them combined.

Bascially we have 3 medicores who average out to 1 OK.

Id rather have a Star QB and a scarecrow at #2 and a firehydrant at #3.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Warner was better than all 3 of them combined.

Bascially we have 3 medicores who average out to 1 OK.

Id rather have a Star QB and a scarecrow at #2 and a firehydrant at #3.
lmao. Agreed

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Reference the first two QB's, I'm puting all my eggs/hopes in one basket. And that is that neither has had a full offseason with the Cards. But as for Lindley, and maybe it's just me, but he seems much like DA. Hope I'm wrong.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

1. Kevin Kolb- Finally he gets a full off-season of OTAs, mini camps and a training camp to learn the Cardinals system. He has all the tools to be a very special QB in the NFL. Lets hope the injury concerns are behind him.

2. John Skelton- some might argue with me that he should be number one on this list and it would be hard to disagree. "Baby Ben" grew up a lot last season and had some very impressive wins (at Philly, vs SF) to show for his efforts. He too has all the tools to be a very special NFL QB.

3. Ryan Lindley- Just the fact that S.I.com's Peter King would suggest that Lindley is as good or better then other highly touted rookies Tanneyhill, tells you the Cardinals might have found the steal of the draft. Like Skelton, Lindley has the size/arm to be a very special QB in the NFL. No disrespect to R.Bartell but the drafting of Lindley probably meant the end of his Cardinals career.

All "3" of the Cardinals QBs offer immense upside. All are young and eager to prove themselves. All should take huge steps forward this off-season under John McNulty- who did very special things at Rutgers with the QBs and that was why Schiano wanted him in Tampa Bay as the OC this year.

In the NFL you are only as good as your QB, and I think the Cardinals have as much depth at the position as they have had in a long time!

Go Cardinals!
Tim in NJ
:biglaugh:

I agree Skelton should be #1 on the list.

BTW, in the QB throwing video clip on cards official site, Skelton looks huge. He has really bulked up. Kolb looks like a midget among the three QB's.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I was perplexed and confused with the Lindley pick. That hasn't changed. Everyone says he is DA part deux. Big arm. Innacurate. 53% completion in college. 50-stinkin'-three!

I don't get the hype or the hope.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Methinks Tim doesn't understand what the word "strength" means. Having a bottom 5 NFL qb situation sure as hell doesn't qualify as a strength, especially when it's the only thing keeping us away from the playoffs.

There is no doubt our #1 need is a decent starting QB.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was perplexed and confused with the Lindley pick. That hasn't changed. Everyone says he is DA part deux. Big arm. Innacurate. 53% completion in college. 50-stinkin'-three!

I don't get the hype or the hope.

To be fair, DA barely even cracked 50%. His COLLEGE completion rate was 50.7%. How he is still employed or ever became employed is a total mystery.

Also, I'd love to hear a break down of how Kolb has "all the tools". The only tool I've seen him tap into is an MRI machine.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
"Baby Ben"

Didn't know you were a fellow NJ.

Anyway, please don't ever call Double Deuce Skelton what you have there. Ben Roesthisberger is no one to look up to. I hope Skelton is nothing like "Big Ben", that guy is a creep.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Reference the first two QB's, I'm puting all my eggs/hopes in one basket. And that is that neither has had a full offseason with the Cards. But as for Lindley, and maybe it's just me, but he seems much like DA. Hope I'm wrong.

Not sure how you get this comparison. Have you watched any tape on him?

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Didn't know you were a fellow NJ.

Anyway, please don't ever call Double Deuce Skelton what you have there. Ben Roesthisberger is no one to look up to. I hope Skelton is nothing like "Big Ben", that guy is a creep.

Off the field, but I would certainly like his play on the field. Skelton is big and hard to bring down I wouldn't mind him evolving into a player like big Ben on the field. I have no idea if that's a possibility and he definitely has miles to go but I would rather be optimistic then realistic this time of year.

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
Our QB is clearly not going to be a position of strength. The QB's job this year is going to be to not screw up while the rest of the team does it's job. IMO Skelton is the best candidate to take the reins and manage the game - but we'll see.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im gonna try out for cardinals QB. im 6'5 220 and have a rocket arm with poor footwork and accuracy.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All "3" of the Cardinals QBs offer immense upside.
I don't dispute this, Timmy, but the thing about upside is that it isn't a given; just a theory that has to be proven.

You don't want to be going into a season with 4 QB's who aren't known factors. (Quite possibly, all four could turn out to be duds; hopefully not).

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
I don't dispute this, Timmy, but the thing about upside is that it isn't a given; just a theory that has to be proven.

I stop by the board several times a week and figured I would share some opTIMism with everyone. I do like the 3 Qbs a lot and am excited there will be a full off-season of development under McNulty taking place. Hard to judge Kolb or Skelton last season with no off-season. Lindley could be steal of the draft 3 years from now.

Go Cardinals!
Tim in NJ

Reaction score
I stop by the board several times a week and figured I would share some opTIMism with everyone. I do like the 3 Qbs a lot and am excited there will be a full off-season of development under McNulty taking place. Hard to judge Kolb or Skelton last season with no off-season. Lindley could be steal of the draft 3 years from now.

Go Cardinals!
Tim in NJ

I agree with this. I think the biggest difference will be McNulty. I think the QB coaching has been terrible in the past.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree with this. I think the biggest difference will be McNulty. I think the QB coaching has been terrible in the past.

I don't know,maybe. But Matt Leinart, Brian St.Pierre,Dereck Anderson, Max Hall, Richard Bartel, John Skelton, and Kevin Kolb? Not a whole lot there to coach up except for Double Duece.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Also, I'd love to hear a break down of how Kolb has "all the tools". .
He didn't get drafted early in round 2, 36th overall, just for the hell of it. He just hasn't yet transferred his ability to results at the NFL level on a consistent basis.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He didn't get drafted early in round 2, 36th overall, just for the hell of it. He just hasn't yet transferred his ability to results at the NFL level on a consistent basis.

Just another system QB. Houston might as well have been a Big XII team. 5 years in the NFL and Kolb's still considered a project who needs lots of practice just to maybe get to mediocre.

Case Keenum did even better at Houston. He didn't even get drafted this year.

Meanwhile we waste a pick on some guy who throws his passes in the dirt instead of drafting a potential star Safety or ILB. :bang:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what performance we get out of the position this year. We have every reason to believe that Skelton will be at least marginally improved from last season as he is a still developing young QB who was very raw. With Kolb, there are reasons to think he might improve but also reasons to think he might regress (lost confidence, injury "shell shock"). Lindley, well all I can say is he's most likely better then Bartel.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson