2012-2013 Champions League Draw

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have all of the Bayern Munich graded at an elite 90 out of 100.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dortmund. Wow.

All you gotta do is watch the last 15 minutes!!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bayern has failed to score just 1 time this entire season plus probably most of last season.

That Juve back line did not look too good vs Bayern as they were lucky to not get 4 in Munich.

In fact Bayern has the best defense in Europe this season.

You were right.... What a crush job they put on Juve. Great performance from Bayern.

The best two teams in the Bundesliga versus the best two teams in La Liga.

Hopefully they aren't playing each other in the semi's.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Barca v. Bayern

and

Dortmund v. Madrid.

I think Real Madrid is going to win this whole thing when all is said and done but that Barca/Bayern match is going to be so awesome to watch. I can't wait.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Disgraceful ref so far. Swallowed his whistle on two clear hand penalties.

Still Bayern is up 1-0 at least, should have been 3.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Total domination. Bayern looked like Goliath versus Barca's David.

I know you had issues with the refs Slin but they really did miss a few for Barca as well. That Robben goal was a clear pick. And I am not sure that Gomez wasn't offsides on his goal.

Still though..... Bayern could have had 2 or 3 other goals. Barca looked like a team limping to the finish line this season while Bayern looks to be getting stronger.

I still think Madrid takes them in the final though.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Third goal was clearly a foul by Mueller, but I take it they didnt give us two very clear penalties.

Third goal by Gomez was extremely close
You must be registered for see images

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Third goal was clearly a foul by Mueller, but I take it they didnt give us two very clear penalties.

Third goal by Gomez was extremely close
You must be registered for see images

I knew it would be a long day for Barca in minute 2. Robben takes the shot from the left side of Valdez. If he passes to his left Gomez & Mueller are wide open with an open goal.

It was a turkey shoot in Munich today. I don't think Barca even showed up. It was the ugliest performance I have seen from them in a long time. Especially on a big stage.

If they don't spend the money to fix their back line they will only get worse.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disgraceful ref so far. Swallowed his whistle on two clear hand penalties.

Still Bayern is up 1-0 at least, should have been 3.

I'd ask if you were kidding, but I know you are not. The first 'clear penalty' hit Sanchez's arm a foot away from where it was kicked. There is no intention on that one at all. It would have been injustice if it were called.

The second one was more questionable, but still harsh if called. Bartra didn't intentionally hit the ball with his hand or gain any advantage by doing so.

Your pic shows that Gomez was offside for one of the goals. The pick that Muller set against Jordi Alba was so egregious, it deserved a yellow card against him and yet it stood for another goal that shouldn't have counted.

If anything, the refs were bias against Barca, not for it.

All that being said, Barca deserved to lose more than 2-0. They were flat and it was almost like Bayern figured them out. Not getting Thiago Silva last year really hurt their back line.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I'd ask if you were kidding, but I know you are not. The first 'clear penalty' hit Sanchez's arm a foot away from where it was kicked. There is no intention on that one at all. It would have been injustice if it were called.

The second one was more questionable, but still harsh if called. Bartra didn't intentionally hit the ball with his hand or gain any advantage by doing so.

Intention means diddly squat. In both situations the arms is away from the body and blocks a shot on goal (not that that even matters) inside the box. Both are CLEARLY penalties by the rule, absolutely indisputable stonewall penalties.

1st handball
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2521231/handball.gif

2nd handball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjsOj2hRJyw

Both decisions clear as day. Compare that to the penalties against Dortmund this year, Subotic vs Man City. Or against Bayern last year Alaba vs Real Madrid.

This is the definition of handball penalty.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
No one listens to you slin. Just chill out.

As far as the last two days..... I am going to call it "The Spanish Massacre". Both games were 4-0 IMO.

What an ass whooping. Madrid couldn't handle Dortmund in the group stages. This was just an extension of an emphatic group stage win for them.

I will be rooting for Dortmund in the final. And hope they find a way to reverse the Goetze transfer.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bayern...... Damn.

That was a demolition job. So impressive, so clinical.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bayern is a really, really good team.

I think this may be a good result for Barcelona's future though, because it opens up their needs--a tall, strong central defender should be goal #1 this summer (as it's been for the past 3 summers). Getting demolished by Bayern will hopefully push them to do it, finally.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think they need two center backs with height, and intimidation ability. Thiago Silva would have been perfect.

Next, I think they should sell Alexis Sanchez and focus on Tello's development.

Next, Go get Arturo Vidal from Juve. I heard he might be for sale.

Next, Sign Neymar.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tito was completely out-coached. Barcelona needed to build from the wings and yet they can only go through the middle to their own detriment.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Tito was completely out-coached. Barcelona needed to build from the wings and yet they can only go through the middle to their own detriment.

Out of Xavi, Cesc and Iniesta, only Iniesta can play the wing, but Villa appears to be locked into that spot, as you barely see him leave it. When Messi is on the field, it gets even worse, but at least Messi can create magic out of nothing--a few years ago Pedro was great and going down that right side and criss-crossing runs with Messi--we don't see that anymore and Pedro's scoring as suffered for it.

Tello is one-dimensional at this point, but he's a better option than Alexis. As much as I love Cesc Fabregas, they need to sell him and Alexis and get Neymar. Figure out what to do with Villa and concentrate on getting at least one tall center back and maybe bring in another right winger to back up Pedro, who I still like.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of Xavi, Cesc and Iniesta, only Iniesta can play the wing, but Villa appears to be locked into that spot, as you barely see him leave it. When Messi is on the field, it gets even worse, but at least Messi can create magic out of nothing--a few years ago Pedro was great and going down that right side and criss-crossing runs with Messi--we don't see that anymore and Pedro's scoring as suffered for it.

Tello is one-dimensional at this point, but he's a better option than Alexis. As much as I love Cesc Fabregas, they need to sell him and Alexis and get Neymar. Figure out what to do with Villa and concentrate on getting at least one tall center back and maybe bring in another right winger to back up Pedro, who I still like.

I can't disagree with any of this.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
When Bayern demolished Juve, I was disappointed because of the start of the first game and the quick goal really felt it kept Juve on their heels the rest of both matches. And when they lost....I felt Bayern/Barca was gonna be a great matchup because Bayern looked better than I thought they were. Then to see them just demolish Barca like they did, makes me feel a lot better about Juve's showing.

Loved watching Dortmund take out Real...its amazing how far the Bundesliga has come over the past few years....just gotten better, and Bayern is only going to be better next year, and Dortmund will probably do what they did last time and not make a run like this for another 15yrs (especially losing Gotze to Bayern this summer...which has led to Robben being linked with Juve to find a spot for Gotze on the field).

Agree with everyone on Barca needing a tall center back.... I'm sure that Chiellini's name will come up just because there aren't a lot of tall CBs with the pace to play with Barca (Silva would have been huge for them last year, and I don't see him going anywhere this summer now). But unless Barca sends a huge offer to Juve for Chiellini or Vidal (as brought up earlier), I don't see them moving anyone.

I think Juve will try to go after a true goal scorer (they haven't had one since Trezeguet and Del Piero left) and hope that Pirlo has a year or two left in him to play at the level he did this year and run the team. But if Barca does send a big enough offer for Vidal, Pogba sure looked good in the time he played this year, and hes so young too, but I don't think Vidal solves Barca's problems.

Gonna be interesting to see what both Real and Barca do after being embarrassed like they were the last two weeks. Also going to be interesting to see what the EPL teams do after not even getting anyone to the final 8....with teams like Malaga, PSV, and Galatasaray making it ahead of them, as well as Serie A with only Juve getting there.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Barca needs a real striker badly and Real Madrid lacks attitude.

But truth be told aside from Messi and Iniesta and MAYBE Busquets nobody on Barca's starting 11 would walk into Bayern's 11 right now. Bayern is THAT GOOD right now, compare them to Man United - van Persie is about the only player that could improve Bayern's 11 from their roster.

Bayern have a bunch of players that can or should be considered best at their position right now.

CM - Schweinsteiger
LB - Alaba
RB - Lahm
LW - Ribery

Those 4 are pretty much unquestionable and then solid cases can be made for Neuer as GK, Dante as CB and Martinez as DM.
Their other players are among the best too, the only area where they would have noticeable room for improvement would be the central striker but that should change with Lewandowski likely coming in.

3 Finals in 4 Years that says a lot.

Bayern has a goal difference of better than +112 across all competitions this year. Best defense in the world despite playing in a league with one of the highest scoring averages. Bayern has won every game in 2013 except the 2nd leg versus Arsenal when Arsenal lucked in a couple and Bayern couldn't seem to score despite being the dominant team. Also Schweinsteiger was not playing, they won every game that Schweinsteiger played this year.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard