2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Trip to the CONFED CUP

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not much mention of Mexico having 5 guys sent home for failing their piss tests for a banned stimulant. Shzm would know better than I but it doesn't appear anyone is of major significance-- Francisco Javier Rodriguez, Antonio Naelson, Christian Bermudez, Edgar Duenas, and Guillermo Ochoa.

Their loss sure doesn't have much of an effect on them tonight as they are cruising against a clearly overmatched Cuban team.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The players said"clembuterol" was found in their system because of some kind of meat they consumed earlier in the week and they haven't taken any medication or substance. If they ended up being guilty, only Guillermo Ochoa (2nd keeper) and Maza Rodriguez (Starting CB) would be significant losses. Sucks more for Ochoa, since he's in the middle of signing for Paris Saint-Germain and a roids controversy is definitely not doing him any favors.

Tips for beating Mexico: Attack early, contain Dos Santos and Barrera. Without them, Hernandez isn't quite as dangerous. With that being said, that's a heck of a lot easier said than done. Dos Santos is playing great right now.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Tips for beating Mexico: Attack early, contain Dos Santos and Barrera. Without them, Hernandez isn't quite as dangerous. With that being said, that's a heck of a lot easier said than done. Dos Santos is playing great right now.

Barrera really impressed me against Cuba, he owned his side of the field.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Eh, its Cuba. He's really good at beating his man, a more impressive showing was during the WC match vs Argentina when he actually played some good defenders.

He had a disappointing season at West Ham, just wasn't able to adapt to the EPL. He's more fit to play in Spain.

Guatemala-Jamaica, Honduras-Grenada today.
I was impressed with how Guatemala played vs Honduras, I think they can pull off the upset vs Jamaica and make this group one of the tightest ones in the cup. Fully expect Honduras to plow through Grenada.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless those guys ate horse meat, I sort of doubt they got measurable quantities of clembuterol from something they ate. It's a common doping drug, though.

No difference. Mexico is the only WC-worthy squad I've seen from our group. All the other "front runners" are borderline at best, save some goalie or striker gets really hot.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You were right about Jamaica, Zeno. They may very well end up winning their group.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You were right about Jamaica, Zeno. They may very well end up winning their group.

Yeah, I think they are on their way back as a soccer country. They were never a world power but they were dangerous at one time...I think they are approaching that again, I wouldn't be shocked if they surpassed Costa Rica as the #3 in the region.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honduras blasted Grenada 7-1 tonight. I'm actually somewhat excited to see their game vs Jamaica.

Panama is very underrated, i expect them to put up more of a fight than Canada did vs the US.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Honduras blasted Grenada 7-1 tonight. I'm actually somewhat excited to see their game vs Jamaica.

Panama is very underrated, i expect them to put up more of a fight than Canada did vs the US.

From what I saw of Panama's first game their defense is suspect, they gave up 2 goals despite being up a man.

On another note they scheduled me to work on the 19th, the date of the quarterfinals, now I have to try to work out a deal with someone to have that time off or that is $90 wasted. I like being here in Virginia including the work but come on!

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lack of energy. They need a good motivating pep talk during halftime, I haven't seen them that flat in a while.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude.... The more things change......

We still move on if we win against Guadeloupe.

Too many missed opportunities. We always will be mediocre when our starting strikers are as bad as ours are.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Seriously..... We shoulda scored 4 or 5 tonight.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
And finally..... I have no idea what everybody sees in Tim Ream.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What a joke! Bocanegra is DONE...he never could pass and now he can't run either. Yet the guy is still the captain...I don't get it.

The first time the US has lost a Gold Cup group game at home...ever. First time they lost to Panama too.

I hate saying it but IF we even get to play Mexico they are going to KILL us.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
First, I almost, ALMOST wish we lose on Tuesday, so that idiot Gulati has no choice BUT to sack Bradley. He should be sacked after the Gold Cup regardless. Why in the HELL wasn't he sacked after the World Cup, anyway? It's hilarious that the announcers tonight treated Bradley as a sacred cow; they kept 'wondering' why the U.S. keeps coming out flat and unprepared before they turn it on. Um, HELLO!!! Unprepared, flat? Um, COACHING!!! Seriously, the minute this tourney is over, one way or another, I want him gone.

And what was Bradley smoking when he made his subs? Agudelo showed some energy, and Altidore looked like steamed fertilizer...so he takes Agudelo out. Ream is the worst player on the field, and Goodson just scored on a header...so he takes out Goodson. Huh?

All this talk of our great new, young defense? Goodson's about only good for headers in set pieces, and Ream is worse than worthless. He probably couldn't mark ME. Our defense is atrocious. I understand that Onyewu is too long in the tooth and will not see another world cup, but if this is what we have to look forward to? Uh, better hope it's the coaching, and that it changes after we (hopefully) sack Bradley, because if Ream and Goodson are that bad, we won't even qualify for the next WC.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Why isn't Jay Demerit on the team?

He had an injury just prior to the team being selected and they were worried about his "game fitness".

A better question is why isn't Brek Shea on the team and another better question is why does Kljestan keep getting playing time and Adu not even make the bench?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
First, I almost, ALMOST wish we lose on Tuesday, so that idiot Gulati has no choice BUT to sack Bradley. He should be sacked after the Gold Cup regardless. Why in the HELL wasn't he sacked after the World Cup, anyway? It's hilarious that the announcers tonight treated Bradley as a sacred cow; they kept 'wondering' why the U.S. keeps coming out flat and unprepared before they turn it on. Um, HELLO!!! Unprepared, flat? Um, COACHING!!! Seriously, the minute this tourney is over, one way or another, I want him gone.

The worst part about it Stout was the US didn't even have to sack him, his contract was set to expire last year, they not only signed him to an extension they gave him a RAISE!

Gulati needs to go too, he doesn't get a free pass. He is the Rod Graves of US soccer, nice guy but inept.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The worst part about it Stout was the US didn't even have to sack him, his contract was set to expire last year, they not only signed him to an extension they gave him a RAISE!

Gulati needs to go too, he doesn't get a free pass. He is the Rod Graves of US soccer, nice guy but inept.

Yep.

The reason I asked about Demerit is that he was playing in the Whitecaps/Sounders game right after our debacle. And he played all 90.

I have hated Bradley's decisions for years now. I must also start wondering about the guy who put him there and is responsible for the growth of our national team.

Our Strikers are poor.
Our Midfielders are good/slightly ok
Our defenders are CRAP
Our #1 goaltender is world class. Behind him is poor quality.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep.

The reason I asked about Demerit is that he was playing in the Whitecaps/Sounders game right after our debacle. And he played all 90.

I have hated Bradley's decisions for years now. I must also start wondering about the guy who put him there and is responsible for the growth of our national team.

Our Strikers are poor.
Our Midfielders are good/slightly ok
Our defenders are CRAP
Our #1 goaltender is world class. Behind him is poor quality.
I would say the midefiele is good/v.good when you look at the players we have. However, because of what is behind and in front of them they rarely get to show it. It's a shame. Just think how good the national team could be if there was just one top notch/excellent forward to select.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Mexico is just killing Costa Rica 3-0, 30 minutes in, Guardado's goal was special. Wow.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mexico destroying Costa Rica, 4 goals in under 40 minutes. I'm shocked, I thought Costa Rica had a great team. Guardado has to be mvp of the tourney so far. 4 assists, 2 goals, including this one-timer:

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard