USA

You must be registered for see images

Panama

Canada

Guadeloupe

What do you guys think of the groups?

USA has the easiest road, should easily maky it to next round. Mexico has the toughest group, CR should put up a challenge, and Honduras has theirs won.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Here is the full schedule...

CONCACAF Gold Cup Schedule

June 5, Cowboys Stadium, Dallas, Texas

Costa Rica vs. Cuba, 6 p.m.

Mexico vs. El Salvador, 8 p.m.

June 6, Home Depot Center, Carson, Calif.

Jamaica vs. Grenada, 9 p.m.

Honduras vs. Guatemala, 11 p.m.

June 7, Ford Field, Detroit, Mich.

Panama vs. Guadelope, 6 p.m.

United States vs. Canada, 8 p.m.

June 9, Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, N.C.

Costa Rica vs. El Salvador, 7 p.m.

Cuba vs. Mexico, 9 p.m.

June 10, FIU Stadium, Miami, Fla.

Jamaica vs. Guatemala, 7 p.m.

Grenada vs. Honduras, 9 p.m.

June 11, Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Fla.

Canada vs. Guadeloupe, 6 p.m.

United States vs. Panama, 8 p.m.

June 12, Soldier Field, Chicago, Ill.

El Salvador vs. Cuba, 6 p.m.

Mexico vs. Costa Rica, 8 p.m.

June 13, Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.

Guatemala vs. Grenada, 7 p.m.

Honduras vs. Jamaica, 9 p.m.

June 14, KC Soccer Stadium, Kansas City, Kan.

Canada vs. Panama, 7 p.m.

Guadeloupe vs. United States, 9 p.m.

I actually think Jamaica may actually begin their case for soccer relevancy again in this tournament. I am not saying I expect them to win it but they will make it to the elimination round.

I thought Trinidad had qualified...guess not.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually think Jamaica may actually begin their case for soccer relevancy again in this tournament. I am not saying I expect them to win it but they will make it to the elimination round.

They did win the Caribbean Zone tourney, beating out Guadeloupe, Cuba, Grenada. You think thats enough to make them relevant?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They did win the Caribbean Zone tourney, beating out Guadeloupe, Cuba, Grenada. You think thats enough to make them relevant?

I mean relevant in World Soccer again, actually qualifying for the WC. Last time they were really any good was what 98 or 02?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen the rosters for the friendlies with Argentina and Paraguay? Curious of Aguedelo is going to see the field. Bradley seems to be leary of the whole Freddie Adu thing and is keeping the reigns tight on this kid. But from what I've ready he's different from Adu in that he has a whole host of skills. Unless they're committed to this 4-2-1-1 (which I hate because it realies on the long lob), I'd really like to see Jozy running with someone who can keep up and be creative in the box.

*shrug*

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, who the hell are our goalies? We've had a long line of good ones. Wondering if that line is going to continue. Figuring it won't be Howard since he'll be 35 in 2014.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Also, who the hell are our goalies? We've had a long line of good ones. Wondering if that line is going to continue. Figuring it won't be Howard since he'll be 35 in 2014.

35 isn't over the hill for a GK--it'll be his last WC though. As for who we have waiting in the wings it's Guzan (Friedels back up at AV but on loan to Hull City), Bill Hamid (19yr old on DC United), Sean Johnson (21 yr old Chicago Fire) and Dominic Cervi (back up at Celtic). It'll be interesting to see who gets called in the upcoming camps, who is starting for Olympic Qualifying and back ups for the Gold Cup etc.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Anyone seen the rosters for the friendlies with Argentina and Paraguay? Curious of Aguedelo is going to see the field. Bradley seems to be leary of the whole Freddie Adu thing and is keeping the reigns tight on this kid. But from what I've ready he's different from Adu in that he has a whole host of skills. Unless they're committed to this 4-2-1-1 (which I hate because it realies on the long lob), I'd really like to see Jozy running with someone who can keep up and be creative in the box.

*shrug*

The rosters probably won't be released for another week or so for the upcoming friendlies. I have tickets for the Paraguay match--so I hope its the full A side.

4-2-1-1? Thats leaving 2 players off the field...I assume you mean 4-2-3-1 which probably best suits our current talent with Edu(or Jones) & Bradley being the 2 and Dempsey, Donovan and Holden being the 3...we still need to find a forward who can score consistently because Altidore is in a serious rut. Here is to hoping Aguedelo, Bunbury or Doyle continue to develop or that Davies gets healthy again (he'll get regular minutes at DC this season) or that Danny Mwanga gets his citizenship soon (he is a green card holder and is close to being naturalized).

Here is an article advocating the 4-2-3-1 from back in January.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/steve_davis/01/27/usmnt.4231/index.html

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
35 isn't old at all for a keeper. If Howard is still good enough, he should get the nod then.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rosters probably won't be released for another week or so for the upcoming friendlies. I have tickets for the Paraguay match--so I hope its the full A side.

4-2-1-1? Thats leaving 2 players off the field...I assume you mean 4-2-3-1 which probably best suits our current talent with Edu(or Jones) & Bradley being the 2 and Dempsey, Donovan and Holden being the 3...we still need to find a forward who can score consistently because Altidore is in a serious rut. Here is to hoping Aguedelo, Bunbury or Doyle continue to develop or that Davies gets healthy again (he'll get regular minutes at DC this season) or that Danny Mwanga gets his citizenship soon (he is a green card holder and is close to being naturalized).

Here is an article advocating the 4-2-3-1 from back in January.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/steve_davis/01/27/usmnt.4231/index.html

Right, 4-2-3-1. Typos, sorry. I was so excited for Davies before the crash. He was killing in Sochaux. Damn, I hope he can return to full health. That would be amazing. I think some people were expecting him to be the striker next to Altidore in the World Cup.

I dunno. Maybe Bradley can use this new formation to cultivate a unique American style that can be copied. An attacking front with 3 midfielders and a striker. We've certainly historically had many better midfielders than strikers. I just don't want to watch the kind of attack I saw in 1990 and 1994 under Milutinovic. I HATE long lob passes. Low percentage attack. I want to see them keep the ball on the ground and work the short-passing game. To me, that's where the game's at. You don't have to be Brazil to be good at it, you just have to get guys in reasonable position to score a few times a game.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
35 isn't over the hill for a GK--it'll be his last WC though. As for who we have waiting in the wings it's Guzan (Friedels back up at AV but on loan to Hull City), Bill Hamid (19yr old on DC United), Sean Johnson (21 yr old Chicago Fire) and Dominic Cervi (back up at Celtic). It'll be interesting to see who gets called in the upcoming camps, who is starting for Olympic Qualifying and back ups for the Gold Cup etc.

I'd happy if it was him, but Lalas didn't think it would happen after USA exited the World Cup. Not being very hip to such things, I was just taking his opinion as gospel. Lalas seemed to think the US would have too many holes to fill for 2014 to make any kind of serious run, which is not what I wanted to hear from the primary ABC commentator in 2010. lol

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
I thought USA, Mexico and Canada were automatic seeds. How does Hounduras top a group?

USA does seems to have an easy ride out of the group stage.

Is the groups set up for the best chance of a USA/Mexico final?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I found out yesterday I will be in northern Virginia from the end of the month until the end of July so I bought a ticket to the Gold Cup quarterfinals.

That will have the winner from Group C (US Group) VS the third place team from group A or B and the winner of Group B versus the second place team of group C...a doubleheader, should be fun.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Good stuff, Zeno.

How much were the seats?

$88

I took "best available", if I had known I was going earlier I would have bought during the "pre-sale" that US Soccer had available for the Supporters Club but it's still lower bowl at RFK.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mexico releases roster:

Goalkeepers: Guillermo Ochoa (Club América/MEX), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca/MEX), Jose de Jesús Corona (Cruz Azul/MEX).

Defenders: Rafa Márquez (New York Red Bulls/USA), Carlos Salcido (Fulham/ENG), Héctor Moreno (AZ Alkmaar/NED), Francisco Javier Rodríguez (PSV Eindhoven/NED), Ricardo Osorio (Monterrey/MEX), Edgar Dueñas (Toluca/MEX), Jorge Torres Nilo (Tigres/MEX).

Midfielders: Andrés Guardado (Deportivo La Coruña/ESP), Efraín Juarez (Celtic Glasgow/SCO), Israel Castro (UNAM/MEX), Antonio Naelson Sinha (Toluca/MEX), Luis Pérez (Monterrey/MEX), Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul/MEX), Angel Reyna (Club America/MEX), Jesus Zavala (Monterrey/MEX).

Forwards: Javier Hernández (Manchester United/ENG), Giovanni dos Santos (Racing de Santander/SPA), Pablo Barrera (West Ham United/ENG), Aldo de Nigris (Monterrey/MEX), Elías Hernández (Morelia/MEX)

Surprising to see no Vela, Jonathan Dos Santos. A lot of players on there (Toluca players, mainly) should no even be here.

When's he US' roster come out, Zeno?

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Goalkeepers: Guillermo Ochoa (Club América/MEX), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca/MEX), Jose de Jesús Corona (Cruz Azul/MEX).

This genius will now miss the Gold Cup for head-butting the opposing team's trainer after the trainer took a shot at one of his teammates. Unfortunately for Mexico, he is the team's best keeper. :bang:

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They sure don't. Buncha hot heads at the position that requires you to be most cool. Ochoa once showed great promise, but he hasn't been very good lately. The US definitely has the edge on Mexico as far as keepers are concerned.

Should be an intriguing cup, the US' strengths are Mexico's weaknesses and vice versa.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US Roster will be released tomorrow. I doubt there will be any surprises and probably look similar to the roster from the Argentina friendly.

Davies might have had a chance but the hamstring injury pretty much rules him out.

Adu is actually playing well in Turkey right now but I'd be shocked if he made his way back on the roster anytime soon.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In case you were wondering, (and I'm sure that you were) here are some of the other country's rosters for the Gold Cup:

Honduras:
Goalkeepers: Orlin Vallecillo (Marathon), Donis Escober (Olimpia), Noel Valladares (Olimpia).

Defenders: Osman Chavez (Wisla Krakow), Oscar Bonieck Garcia (Olimpia), Maynor Figueroa, Hendry Thomas (Wigan), Mauricio Sabillon (Marathon), Brayan Beckeles (Vida), Victor Bernardez (Lierse), Jhonny Leveron (Motagua).

Midfielders: Ramon Nunez (Leeds), Roger Espinoza (Kansas City), Wilson Palacios (Tottenham), Emilio Izaguirre (Celtic), Alfredo Mejia (Real Espana), Eder Delgado (Real Espana), Javier Portillo (Olimpia), Emil Martinez (Marathon).

Forwards: Eddie Hernandez (Platense), Carlo Costly (Atlas), Jerry Bengtson (Motagua), Walter Martinez (Beijing).

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Guatemala
Goalkeepers: Ricardo Jerez (USAC), Juan José Paredes (Comunicaciones), and Paulo César Motta (Mictlán)

Defenders: Edwin González (Mictlán), Henry Medina (Heredia), Carlos Gallardo (USAC), Carlos Castrillo (Comunicaciones), Cristian Noriega and Gustavo Cabrera (Municipal)

Midfielders: Manuel León (USAC), Wilfred Velásquez (Suchitepéquez), Elías Enoc Vásquez, Jairo Arreola, José Manuel Contreras and José del Águila (Comunicaciones), Gonzalo Romero (Municipal), Guillermo Ramírez (Motagua) and Carlos Figueroa (Xelajú)

Forwards: Jonatan López (Marquense), Marco Pablo Pappa (Chicago Fire), Carlos Ruiz (Union Filadelfia), Dwight Pezzarosi (Comunicaciones) and Oscar Isaula (Malacateco).

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
El Salvador
Nómina de convocados:

Miguel Ángel Montes
Dagoberto Portillo Gamero
Juan José Gómez
Luis Anaya
Marvin René González
Deris Ariel Umanzor
Reynaldo Antonio Hernández
Shawn Hasani Martín
Ramón Alfredo Sánchez
William Osael Romero
Gilberto Arnulfo Baires
Edwin Sánchez
Jaime Enrique Alas
Moisés Xavier García
Víctor Samuel Turcios
Eliseo Quintanilla
Dennis Jonathan Alas
Marx Lester Blanco
Andrés Flores
Rodolfo Antonio Zelaya
Rudis Corrales
Arturo Alvarez
Steve Purdy

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US Roster...
GOALKEEPERS-Tim Howard, Nick Rimando, Marcus Hahnemann

DEFENDERS- Jonathan Spector, Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Oguchi Onyewu, Eric Lichaj, Tim Ream, Jonathan Bornstein, Clarence Goodson,

MIDFIELDERS- Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Sacha Kljestan, Robbie Rogers, Freddy Adu, Benny Feilhaber, Jermaine Jones

FORWARDS- Juan Agudelo, Chris Wondolowski, Jozy Altidore

Surprises to me are..
Wondolowski over Gomez/Buddle or Bunbury
No Timmy Chandler
Robbie Rogers over Alejandro Bedoya
Freddy Adu being back on board

And can anyone explain how Bornstein keeps getting call ups? Especially for important matches?

Mildly suprised about Rimando but he'll only be the #3 GK anyway and will probably stay with RSL unless there is an emergency.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose