2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Trip to the CONFED CUP

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Sacha Kljestan is a waste. Why does our coach keep bringing him in?

I agree, when he first got some caps I had high hopes but he just gives the ball away too much.

Rogers is another guy I had high hopes for too and he just looks like crap in a NT kit.

Rogers, Kljestan, Bornstein & Wondolowski are the worst inclusions on the roster IMO.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler's club supposedly wanted him kept out for "minor injury" concerns. That's by far the biggest disappointment on the list. Bornstein making the cut again shows just how depressing the situation at left back still is. sigh...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
My Gold Cup predictions (group phase)...

Ok I am making predictions on the first round...

Group A
Mexico
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Cuba

Mexico & Cost Rica advance, this is an easy call. If Costa Rica can draw Mexico first place would come down to goal difference. But my predicition is A1 Mexico A2 Costa Rica A3 El Salvador A4 Cuba

Group B
Honduras
Guatemala
Jamaica
Grenada

Jamaica wins the group followed by Honduras. B1 Jamaica B2 Honduras B3 Guatemala B4 Grenada

Group C
United States
Canada
Panama
Guadeloupe

US wins the group and in a mild surprise Canada beats out Panama for the second place finish. C1 US C2 Canada C3 Panama C4 Guadeloupe

Quarterfinal matchups...

In New Jersey...
Costa Rica Vs Honduras
Mexico Vs Panama

In Washington DC...
Jamaica Vs Canada
US Vs Guatemala

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US Roster...

Surprises to me are..
Wondolowski over Gomez/Buddle or Bunbury
No Timmy Chandler
Robbie Rogers over Alejandro Bedoya
Freddy Adu being back on board

And can anyone explain how Bornstein keeps getting call ups? Especially for important matches?

Mildly suprised about Rimando but he'll only be the #3 GK anyway and will probably stay with RSL unless there is an emergency.

I'll be more concerned about the starting lineup. I hope they keep both Jozy and Juan up front like they did vs 2nd half against Argentina.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Hoping for -

Howard
Cherundulo - ***** - Ream - Bocanegra
Donovan - jones - Bradley - dempsey
Altidore - Agudelo

Maybe try to get Mo Edu in...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Hoping for -

Howard
Cherundulo - ***** - Ream - Bocanegra
Donovan - jones - Bradley - dempsey
Altidore - Agudelo

Maybe try to get Mo Edu in...

I think that is pretty close to what we will see. Possibly Goodson over ***** since he had a strained abdominal(or something) recently and may not be 100% until later in the tourney.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Seriously guys.... Whatever lineup you want.... You might want to start preparing yourself now for Bradley to blindside us with the crappiest possible option.

I am ready for it. He is such a horrible coach. I cant even describe how much I hate him.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Supposedly Bedoya is on the roster now replacing Feilhaber who injured his ankle this weekend while playing for the Rev's.

http://www.fotbollskanalen.se/1.215...l_tvingas_klara_sig_utan_bedoya_i_fem_matcher

That is Swedish....here is the web translation (unedited)
Örebro bang: Forced to do without Bedoya in five games
Alejandro Bedoya has been called in to the U.S. national team. Now forced OSK to cope without his midfield star in five games.
- Really fun for him, but tough for us, "said OSK's sporting director for his poetry to Aftonbladet.

Alejandro Bedoya has been called into the U.S. squad that will play the Gold Cup. This would give Örebro play five games without their star.

- It's tough for us, a heavy loss, "says Lennart Sjögren told Aftonbladet.

However, OSK's sporting director is obviously happy to Bedoya's sake.

- It's a really nice track to be picked, even if it was due to an injury. He gets there in good shape, he has been one of our better players in the spring.

On Saturday rehearsal for the U.S. before the tournament with a friendly against Spain in Boston. On July 25, played the final of the Gold Cup.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I found out yesterday I will be in northern Virginia from the end of the month until the end of July so I bought a ticket to the Gold Cup quarterfinals.

That will have the winner from Group C (US Group) VS the third place team from group A or B and the winner of Group B versus the second place team of group C...a doubleheader, should be fun.

Hey Zeno.... Me and a friend just bought our tickets to the games in DC. Section 204 row 11.

Maybe we can have a beer in between tilts.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Projections, anyone?

They're very tough to figure, but here's my hack at it:
Code:
A2 Costa Rica       QF1: Mexico-Costa Rica   = Mexico
B2 Guatemala

A1 Mexico
B/C3 Panama

B1 Honduras         QF2: Honduras-USA = USA
C2 Canada

C1 USA
A3/B3 Jamaica

2011 GC FINAL: USA-MEX

Mexico Champion

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Costa Rica and Mexico both kick off the tournament with a 5-0 mopping of Cuba and El Salvador.

Jamaica-Grenada, Honduras-Guatemala tomorrow

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Huge wins for both teams. I expect Jamaica to win big tonight and for Honduras and Guatemala to be close with Honduras squeaking it out.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Jamaica wins 4-0, they honestly should have had at least 8 goals, they dominated Grenada but had a hard time shooting straight.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, the scores of the first three games should not be too surprising. Honduras-Guatemala is the closest game (talentwise) thus far in the tournament, and the score is reflecting it.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Looks like we just punched our ticket to see team USA in DC Zeno.

Unfortunately a couple more friends are coming with me so we had to move seats to get 4 together. We are now in section 229 on the other side of the stadium.

We should arrive around noon to commence the drinking.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A good result, a smashing start, but a really disappointing letup by Bradley. I can only assign blame there, because we clearly fell back after that first goal, and let up off the throttle. The coach either adjusted to have the team do that, or didn't get on their case to keep up the intensity. That's very disappointing. Also disappointing is how we bunkered so much at the end. Without Howard playing so lights out, we could very well have ended in a draw. Absolutely and positively unacceptable.

Even I have been starting to be down on Altidore, but he certainly redeemed himself tonight. I was nervous about Reem (sp?) and Goodson in defense, but they did all right. Agudelo looked dangerous, even if he never really got going. Bradley looked great early, had a very good game, but drew an idiotic yellow card. No excuse, Bradley! And Howard? Man of the match to me.

So, we got the result we needed, and should cruise to the next round.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Even with a good start the team has to improve as the tourney progresses. I am sure we will see some changes for game 2, Onyewu will likely get a start...Ream just played 2 90 minute games in 3 days.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only got to watch the 2nd half....

It was nice to see the low cross in the box; seems like they have a much better chance on goal when they do that.

They just barely missed quite a few headers.

It was nice to see Jozy finally score, even though it was something the keeper should have easily been able to handle....

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Costa Rica scores a goal last minute to salvage a tie. Awesome.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Mexico is crushing Cuba. Even though they haven't faced anyone considered "tough" I really have no idea how the US has a shot against them.

I think Chicharito's growth this year puts them on a whole different level than our squad. I have very little faith in our defense to stop them.

If we beat them..... I will be shocked.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard