2010 Major League Soccer

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Timbers do have a pretty good fanbase. I've only recently become a fan of soccer because my daughter plays. So I don't know jack about soccer!

Nice Eagle, Globe, and Anchor!

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The support for soccer in this board alone has grown a lot over the past year :)

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Is anyone watching the MLS playoffs?

Defending champ RSL lost, Redbull lost--despite all the money they spent on their 3 designated players. Rapids beat Crew on penalties.

LA plays tonight against Seattle.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! LA pretty much won the series from the opening kick. The Galaxy look really strong right now.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You know what...... Watching the Galaxy infuriates me.....

WTH WAS BOB BRADLEY THINKING!!!!????!?!!!

Buddle should have been on the field. period.

I think I hate him.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I didn't watch the Galaxy/Dallas match, was the game as bad for the Galaxy as the 3-0 score indicated?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I didn't watch the Galaxy/Dallas match, was the game as bad for the Galaxy as the 3-0 score indicated?

Pretty much. They couldn't get anything going and Buddle was mauled every time he touched the ball. Yet I don't believe he got any fouls called. I know Bruce Arena was screaming at the 4th official all through the 1st half about it.

It's also possible that Beckham got injured early in the 1st half and was a bit gimpy throughout the game.

Very disappointing for a team that should have beaten Dallas.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I always thought the name "Wizards" was stupid. Sporting KC is a step up IMO.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
My prediction for MLS Cup Dallas 2 Colorado 1, Brek Shea with the game winner in the last 10 minutes.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Shea has been a ghost tonight.

What a horrible way for league to finish a season. An own goal in overtime. Colorado got hosed by the refs in the first. Casey should have gotten a PK attempt. Casey plays striker like Barkley played power forward.

WTH was this game doing in Toronto? It's 40 some degrees. And this league doesn't have the gravitas for a neutral site game. Should have been the home team with the most points.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And this league doesn't have the gravitas for a neutral site game. Should have been the home team with the most points.

MLS has tried to be the NFL for years. They usually come around to the obvious, only years later unfortunatley. It would have been bedlam if it was in Colorado last night. Pretty rediculous.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
MLS has tried to be the NFL for years. They usually come around to the obvious, only years later unfortunatley. It would have been bedlam if it was in Colorado last night. Pretty rediculous.

Garber used to work for the NFL, that explains part of it.

I just wish they'd eliminate the conference's, in the last 3 MLS Cups we've had the NYRB's represent the West, Real Salt Lake represent the East and Colorado represent the East. Just go single table--keep the playoffs--and let the top 8 (or whatever) teams play in the playoffs. That one move would be a move in the right direction.

Part of the reason I think they go neutral site is because really they couldn't do it in a football stadium (like New England or Seattle) because of potential for scheduling conflicts. Until every team has their own venue I doubt it will happen.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Part of the reason I think they go neutral site is because really they couldn't do it in a football stadium (like New England or Seattle) because of potential for scheduling conflicts. Until every team has their own venue I doubt it will happen.

They do it also because it is hard to sell tickets in a one week window and they know they can force the game on season ticket holders. However the issue selling tickets is not as true anymore with team controlling their own stadiums and rivalries. There is not one team in the league, even FC Dallas, that would have trouble selling a home MLS Cup game. The game would also have a championship atmosphere. Last night was rediculous. It was by far the worst MLS Cup I have seen in my life with a half empty stadium. It was quiet as crickets in OT. It is time to reward the fans because there are enough fans. I really hope they scrap the neutral site next season.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They do it also because it is hard to sell tickets in a one week window and they know they can force the game on season ticket holders. However the issue selling tickets is not as true anymore with team controlling their own stadiums and rivalries. There is not one team in the league, even FC Dallas, that would have trouble selling a home MLS Cup game. The game would also have a championship atmosphere. Last night was rediculous. It was by far the worst MLS Cup I have seen in my life with a half empty stadium. It was quiet as crickets in OT. It is time to reward the fans because there are enough fans. I really hope they scrap the neutral site next season.

That is part of it but not the entire reason. Not every team controls their own stadiums right now, if that changes we might see the neutral sites go away. Houston, San Jose, New England and Seattle all share their facilities with other sports teams during the season...last thing I want to see is an MLS Cup final on a field with football lines or worse yet torn up from a football game a day earlier.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
One thing is for certain..... No one who was interested, became a fan of the MLS on their biggest night.

That is a missed opportunity. Total Embarrassment. Half full Stadiums and 40 degree weather on your biggest night is DUMB.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is part of it but not the entire reason. Not every team controls their own stadiums right now, if that changes we might see the neutral sites go away. Houston, San Jose, New England and Seattle all share their facilities with other sports teams during the season...last thing I want to see is an MLS Cup final on a field with football lines or worse yet torn up from a football game a day earlier.

Easy solution.....don't schedule the game months in advance. All teams schedule playoff games on the fly. All of those teams have shown the ability to lose the football lines, especially Seattle, and San Jose plays in a SSS.

They should also grant the Supporter's Shield winner an automatic birth to host MLS Cup bypassing the playoffs. That would actually add value to the Supporter's Shield and regular season and it would give any team weeks to prepare to host. It would sell out every year and it would be a spectacle.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Easy solution.....don't schedule the game months in advance. All teams schedule playoff games on the fly. All of those teams have shown the ability to lose the football lines, especially Seattle, and San Jose plays in a SSS.

I am pretty sure Buck Shaw Stadium belongs to Santa Clara University and is a multi-use stadium.

New England has never been rid of the lines for MLS and Houston has the worst field in MLS esp. once Univ of Houston starts playing. I just don't see it being an easy answer...yet, eventually but right now it isn't feasible.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Buck Shaw Stadium belongs to Santa Clara University and is a multi-use stadium.

New England has never been rid of the lines for MLS and Houston has the worst field in MLS esp. once Univ of Houston starts playing. I just don't see it being an easy answer...yet, eventually but right now it isn't feasible.

NE has and does remove the lines for big games and ESPN games. Buck Shaw doesn't have lines and is soccer only. Houston...I'm sure they would do what they have to IF the situation even arose, and looking at their roster it won't anytime soon. Your reasoning only kind of works with Houston and one stadium is the last reason for a neutral site. It doesn't effect playoffs, wouldn't effect the final. Automatically let the Supporter's Shield winner host MLS Cup to bypass the playoffs and you have almost a month to prepare. No excuses. MLS Cup 2010 was an embarrassment and the league knows it.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
NE has and does remove the lines for big games and ESPN games. Buck Shaw doesn't have lines and is soccer only. Houston...I'm sure they would do what they have to IF the situation even arose, and looking at their roster it won't anytime soon. Your reasoning only kind of works with Houston and one stadium is the last reason for a neutral site. It doesn't effect playoffs, wouldn't effect the final. Automatically let the Supporter's Shield winner host MLS Cup to bypass the playoffs and you have almost a month to prepare. No excuses. MLS Cup 2010 was an embarrassment and the league knows it.

It is not my reasoning it is MLS reasoning, one of many. I was just pointing out it is NOT solely because they want to be like the NFL.

NE doesn't remove the lines for MLS games once the Patriots start playing, never done it before. They've done it for US Soccer but never for MLS.

I have feeling it will stay that way for awhile. There will always be a playoff system, in fact they are going to have more playoff teams starting next season. Supporters Shield holders will never get a free pass.

The TV audience was terrible for MLS Cup--I think I read worst ever.

Last edited:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NE doesn't remove the lines for MLS games once the Patriots start playing, never done it before. They've done it for US Soccer but never for MLS.

Trust me, as a guy who has seen every single LA Galaxy game since 2003 I can assure you they have the ability to remove the lines. Maybe they don't for a NE vs Columbus match but they most certainly do when Beckham and Donovan come to town for a national game.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Trust me, as a guy who has seen every single LA Galaxy game since 2003 I can assure you they have the ability to remove the lines. Maybe they don't for a NE vs Columbus match but they most certainly do when Beckham and Donovan come to town for a national game.

A quick check shows since Beckham has been with the Galaxy they have never played in NE during the NFL season--pre-season but never during the regular season.

I have family in Boston who go to Revolution games and they say the same thing, it is tough to watch the games with the football lines and rightfully so, the Patriots are priority #1. They can't ever remember the lines being removed for an MLS game once the regular season kicks off.

This is a silly argument anyway. MLS will always have a neutral site for MLS Cup and they will expand the playoff format. The only chance of change happening is getting rid of the geographic divisions.

I am just glad they are bringing back the reserve division, that at least is a step in the right direction.

I still hate that a US league will now have multiple Canadian teams in it and the southeast US is completely unrepresented.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard