2010 Major League Soccer

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nery's as talented as Dos Santos or Vela, or at least, he was 3yrs ago before he broke his shoulder at Manchester City and hit a downward spiral in Ukraine. All he needs right now is playing time.. He's physical and lightning fast. It'll be interesting to see how he'll play, having been a couple years of consistent football time.

Good thing about him is that he's only 26, so there's still some upside.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
More on Marquez...

It is claimed that the 31-year-old's move to the MLS could be closed in a matter of days with Marquez confirming that he would leave the Catalan giants in search of regular football.

"I want to leave Barcelona in a good way, I hope to get my passage to solve my future soon in the MLS or outside of MLS," is quoted as saying.

"I want to continue playing in the United States, Mexico or wherever the opportunity presents itself to me."

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2...fael-marquez-closing-in-on-new-york-red-bulls

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Alvaro Fernandez to Sounders?

Uruguay's Alvaro Fernandez is set join Nery Castillo of Mexico in Major League Soccer. Mexican international Castillo became MLS's latest acquisition yesterday, and it appears Fernandez is set to follow him, in his case to Sounders FC in Seattle. His arrival would almost certainly signify the departure of the unhappy and surly Freddie Ljungberg, although there are a few fans still optimistic the arrival of quality players will persuade the Swede he wishes to stay here.

Fernandez played 4 games in the WC for Uruguay (1 start)...

http://www.examiner.com/x-42482-MLS-Examiner~y2010m7d21-Alvaro-Fernandez-replacing-Ljungberg

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/07/15/donovan.mls.ap/index.html

I understand that MLS is looking out for themselves but this is just bad news. Donovan has been loyal to the league and he has expressed a desire to play full time in England...why do you hold him back?

Landon signed a 4 year $10 million contract with MLS last fall. Landon is the most popular American soccer player in the history of the game. Landon is a star in MLS. He would be just a guy in Europe. The league bent over backwards to help him get out of Germany twice so acting like Don Garber and MLS is somehow punishing the guy is rediculous. He loves LA. I think the thought process that Landon wants to be in Europe is pretty overstated as well. He is also 29....3 years rempoved from the age Thierry Henry decided to join MLS. He isn't a spring chicken. When media in Liverpool ask him if he wants to stay at Everton, what did you expect him to really say? Either way, if the worst thing that happpens to him is that he is the highest paid American player in MLS and he has to live in LA and play alongside Beckham and Ronaldinho (alledgedly) things could be a whole lot worse for the guy. He is not the Euro savior that US Soccer is looking for anyway. There will be others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Landon signed a 4 year $10 million contract with MLS last fall. Landon is the most popular American soccer player in the history of the game. Landon is a star in MLS. He would be just a guy in Europe. The league bent over backwards to help him get out of Germany twice so acting like Don Garber and MLS is somehow punishing the guy is rediculous. He loves LA. I think the thought process that Landon wants to be in Europe is pretty overstated as well. He is also 29....3 years rempoved from the age Thierry Henry decided to join MLS. He isn't a spring chicken. When media in Liverpool ask him if he wants to stay at Everton, what did you expect him to really say? Either way, if the worst thing that happpens to him is that he is the highest paid American player in MLS and he has to live in LA and play alongside Beckham and Ronaldinho (alledgedly) things could be a whole lot worse for the guy. He is not the Euro savior that US Soccer is looking for anyway. There will be others.

That is NOT true. Landon was signed by Leverkusen before he even considered MLS, in fact his stint in San Jose he was technically on loan from Germany not under contract by MLS. His second stint in Germany was when he was recalled from his loan, MLS didn't do him any favors until he returned to MLS and allowed him to play near his home in southern California.

If reports are true about Man City willing to pay him $7 Million+ a year that is 3 times what he makes in MLS. Can you fault a guy for wanting to triple his salary?

Donovan is also only 28 not 29--won't be 29 until 2011. There is no reason to think he doesn't have 4 or 5 more years in him.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is NOT true. Landon was signed by Leverkusen before he even considered MLS, in fact his stint in San Jose he was technically on loan from Germany not under contract by MLS. His second stint in Germany was when he was recalled from his loan, MLS didn't do him any favors until he returned to MLS and allowed him to play near his home in southern California.
QUOTE]

You are 100% WRONG. Landon and his agent orchestrated both moves back to MLS because Landon had awful experiences with Leverkusen. At the time, Landon's full transfer back to MLS was the first time MLS PAID another team for a transfer. MLS did him HUGE favors, requested and orchestrated by Donovan to get him back here, even bending the rules with the Ruiz trade just to get him in LA. That is FACT.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You are 100% WRONG. Landon and his agent orchestrated both moves back to MLS because Landon had awful experiences with Leverkusen. At the time, Landon's full transfer back to MLS was the first time MLS PAID another team for a transfer. MLS did him HUGE favors, requested and orchestrated by Donovan to get him back here, even bending the rules with the Ruiz trade just to get him in LA. That is FACT.

How am I wrong? It is a FACT Landon was loaned to San Jose in 2001 from Leverkusen, he was still property of them and NOT MLS. The loan may have been initiated by his reps but it is not like MLS does not do loan deals with other players. Hardly bending over backwards for him.

In 2005 he was brought back to MLS, they bent the rules as much for the Galaxy as they did for Donovan getting him back to MLS. Much the same way they manipulated the rules for Adu to end up in DC (his family was living in Maryland) and more recently McBride to go to Chicago(he is from Illinois). MLS always does what it can to make its stars happy--Donovan is no exception.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How am I wrong? It is a FACT Landon was loaned to San Jose in 2001 from Leverkusen, he was still property of them and NOT MLS. The loan may have been initiated by his reps but it is not like MLS does not do loan deals with other players. Hardly bending over backwards for him.

In 2005 he was brought back to MLS, they bent the rules as much for the Galaxy as they did for Donovan getting him back to MLS. Much the same way they manipulated the rules for Adu to end up in DC (his family was living in Maryland) and more recently McBride to go to Chicago(he is from Illinois). MLS always does what it can to make its stars happy--Donovan is no exception.

Wow. Interesting observation. Clearly you haven't followed Donovan's club career at all. You can draw whatever conclusions you want but the fact was Donovan was a bomb in Germany the first time, orchestrated the loan, hated Germany the second time and orchestrated the transfer. This all came up because you somehow think MLS is screwing Landon, and that somehow they owe him a transfer to the EPL because all he has done for the league. I stated that the league has done a lot for him and somehow you belittle the role MLS has played in his career and making him happy. If you ask him, liek MANY have, he will disagree with you 100%. Either way, he may get a transfer, but you think Garber would say they are looking to move him if they were? Its a negotiating ploy. It's called driving the price up.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Barcelona defender Rafael Marquez is to join Thierry Henry at New York Red Bulls on a four-year contract, Goal.com can exclusively reveal.

The 31-year old defender had eyed a move to Major League Soccer before playing at World Cup 2010 with Mexico. After starring for his nation in South Africa, he has now negotiated a release from his contract with the La Liga champions - which was set to run until 2012 - and has put pen to paper on a lucrative deal in the 'Big Apple'.

RIP great career Rafa :(

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow. Interesting observation. Clearly you haven't followed Donovan's club career at all. You can draw whatever conclusions you want but the fact was Donovan was a bomb in Germany the first time, orchestrated the loan, hated Germany the second time and orchestrated the transfer. This all came up because you somehow think MLS is screwing Landon, and that somehow they owe him a transfer to the EPL because all he has done for the league. I stated that the league has done a lot for him and somehow you belittle the role MLS has played in his career and making him happy. If you ask him, liek MANY have, he will disagree with you 100%. Either way, he may get a transfer, but you think Garber would say they are looking to move him if they were? Its a negotiating ploy. It's called driving the price up.

I've probably followed Donovans club & Int'l career as close as you have I am sure. I've been aware of him since the U17's and yes I watched him flop in Germany (the second time, he didn't get first team minutes the first time).

Donovan was a homesick kid in Germany, he wanted to go home. When he was recalled from his loan it was NOT his choosing and MLS didn't want him to go either. He had just led San Jose to 2 MLS Cups when Leverkusen recalled him.

When he returned MLS had no choice but to pay the transfer fee. He had other offers and Leverkusen was not going to let him go for free, it is not like MLS was the lone buyer. MLS wanted him more and Donovan wanted to return home--it was a win for both parties.

Yes the guy deserves a transfer if he wants one--he has been the most consistent star in the league but that shouldn't be held against him. He has matured to the point where playing away from home is no longer an issue and he has stated how much he likes the intensity and level of play in the EPL and has expressed a desire to both English and US media to return there to play. Garber saying he isn't for sale is akin to holding a player hostage, every player should have a price. Hopefully it is a negotiating ploy and he actually listens to offers.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
MLS youngsters...

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/soccer/columns/story?id=5399248

1-5 according to ESPN...
1. Andy Najar
2. Roger Torres
3. Omar Gonzalez
4. Bill Hamid
5. Danny Mwanga

17 yr old Najar is a Honduran but there are rumors he is leaning towards representing the US. He has a green card and has been in the US for 4 yrs and is eligible to apply for citizenship next year.

Mwanga is another really intriguing guy--fast, wicked shot and getting better as the season goes on. He isn't a US citizen yet either and will also be eligible for citizenship next year as he is on a green card as a refugee from Congo. He reportedly impressed Alex Ferguson in their friendly against Man U.

As far as I am concerned Omar Gonzalez is a lock for the US and may be starting by the Gold Cup next year.

Hamid is a good GK but the US has decent depth there so it may be a long time before we see him play for the Nat's. Honestly though he should be playing every match for United as Perkins is a HUGE disappointment and should be shown the door when the season ends.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is a big signing, IMO bigger than Henry because Rafa is still relatively young and not one of those twilight players like Henry and Beckham. Big for MLS.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
This is a big signing, IMO bigger than Henry because Rafa is still relatively young and not one of those twilight players like Henry and Beckham. Big for MLS.

At 31, Marquez is only two years younger than Henry. Good signing, but he isn't exactly in his prime.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Marquez was one of the top CBs in the world cup until he lost his cool when the Argies got that ridiculous offsides Tevez call :(

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The Galaxy hung in there with Real Madrid last night but the talent of Real Madrid was just too much for them especially in the second half. At least they didn't get crushed like the All Stars.

I have the Dallas/Philly game on now, the crowd in Dallas is terrible. If they top 2000 in actual attendance I'd be shocked.

I am heading to my first MLS game of this season next weekend, DC & Dallas (sandwiched between D-Backs games on Friday & Sunday). I've never been to a game at RFK stadium where United lost so I hope my lucky streak continues.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Galaxy hung in there with Real Madrid last night but the talent of Real Madrid was just too much for them especially in the second half. At least they didn't get crushed like the All Stars.

I have the Dallas/Philly game on now, the crowd in Dallas is terrible. If they top 2000 in actual attendance I'd be shocked.

I am heading to my first MLS game of this season next weekend, DC & Dallas (sandwiched between D-Backs games on Friday & Sunday). I've never been to a game at RFK stadium where United lost so I hope my lucky streak continues.

The Galaxy looked pretty good in the first half, but once Christiano Ronaldo got on the field, they were pretty intimidated. Not sure Bruce prepared the guys to handle that.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They fared off better than Mexican league club, America. They were trying to rough tackle him and ronaldo ended up scoring a great free kick goal that gave them the win in a meaningless friendly.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McBride sucks. Hopefully Nery pushes the offense a little more.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Spencer is well respected as far as MLS assistants go, Portland could do much worse.

They should have good fan support and the rivalry with Seattle should be fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard