2009/2010 Champions League

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Love it!

Scum are knocked out. Now just need Arsenal to catch them for the title. Barca were excellent. It is their strength in depth that makes them so.
If Arsenal had their missing players for the two legs I think it would have been damn close.
I'll be supporting Inter as they have always been my 'foreign team' but I wouldn't mind if Barca repeated.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All those transfer fees are finally stacking up. Really sucks for the smaller clubs who cant afford to keep their players. Would a salary cap work amongst UEFA teams?

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bad business.

Their entire success is build on accumulating debt and that goes for pretty much every PL club.

In the 90s the Premier League wasn't even a top 3 league, barely top 5.
Do you actually follow football or just wait on message boards to knock the Premier League?

The Prem doesn't have any teams in the semi-finals for the first time since 2003. It is ONE season. If this was to happen for anther couple of years then I could start to see the point that it wasn't the best anymore.
The 'mighty' La Liga has ONE team left. Real Madrid managed to not even make it to the 1/4 finals. I might also note that there are two teams left in the UEFA cup (Europa League) showing that there is more strength in depth than you usually give credit.

To say that the Prem wasn't even a top 3-5 league is ridiculous. Tell me what leagues were better. Serie A i'll accept, La Liga about the same but no other league would come close.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Uh sorry but if you want to dispute that the Premier League was clearly behind Italy, Germany and Spain in the 90s and it would be fair to say France as well then you are clearly biased imo.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Uh sorry but if you want to dispute that the Premier League was clearly behind Italy, Germany and Spain in the 90s and it would be fair to say France as well then you are clearly biased imo.
Hard to say i'm biased when I hate Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and most of the top Prem teams. I don't often have good things to say about them. The league sin the 90s were certainly closer than they are now but the Prem was still a top three league.
The problem English teams had is that they weren't used to playing in Europe for the first few years of the 90s. They had been banned for half a decade after Heysel.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
3-1 Inter shocks Barcelona. Defense looked very sluggish for Barca. Probably bc Marquez didn't start ;)

As crazy as that score is, i still think Barca will win the series at the camp nou.

Lyon-Munchen today should be great

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
3-1 Inter shocks Barcelona. Defense looked very sluggish for Barca. Probably bc Marquez didn't start ;)

As crazy as that score is, i still think Barca will win the series at the camp nou.

Lyon-Munchen today should be great

Marquez is done. He wouldn't have helped. Barca didn't attack enough--they had their passing game going well, but they probably passed a little too much around the box, and as much as I hate to say it, Ibra is a HUGE disappointment.

You rarely see an angry Barca team, but when you do, it's hard to stop them. I think they can pull it out in the Camp Nou, but it's going to be a tough battle.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Marquez is done. He wouldn't have helped.

I thought he was declining as well, seems like all he did was go in and get booked. But he dominated Bendtner in the Arsenal game and has looked sharp in the liga games hes played in ever since. Dont know too much about his future in Barca, but his form is looking very good heading into the WC. Im actually kind of glad he didn't play yesterday. Shes some light on Alves and Puyols faults, so people can stop bitching about Rafa. Puyols out for the 2nd leg, Rafa should get some PT, hopefully he can keep up his recent great form.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought he was declining as well, seems like all he did was go in and get booked. But he dominated Bendtner in the Arsenal game and has looked sharp in the liga games hes played in ever since. Dont know too much about his future in Barca, but his form is looking very good heading into the WC. Im actually kind of glad he didn't play yesterday. Shes some light on Alves and Puyols faults, so people can stop bitching about Rafa. Puyols out for the 2nd leg, Rafa should get some PT, hopefully he can keep up his recent great form.

I'd agree with you, but I love Carles Puyol, so I don't. :D

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Puyol has been **** lately. Barcelona got lucky Espanyol didn't beat them. On the other hand, Marquez has been looking sharp.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lyon vs Munich, we'll know our first finalist today.

I'll root for Lyon to continue upsetting these big teams

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Itd be weird to see two perennial underachievers (bayern-inter) in the final.

GO BARCA!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Itd be weird to see two perennial underachievers (bayern-inter) in the final.

GO BARCA!

Ehhh I think you are the first one ever that I hear call Bayern underachievers. One of the most decorated teams in the history of football.

4 CL Titles, 3 Runner ups and now another CL final.

The only teams with more final appearances are Real Madrid and AC Milan.

Last edited:

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Meh not so much this past decade, when they've had the talent to win it all just about every year.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Meh not so much this past decade, when they've had the talent to win it all just about every year.

No they didn't and besides they were the better team in the finals in 1999 and lost due to biggest amount of luck ever in a final. Then they won it all in 2001.

They still made 4 quarter finals at least and lost to the eventual champions several times or other favorites like Chelsea. (Milan/Barca)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Regardless of tomorrow's outcome, I'll have a favorite team to root for. If Barca wins, then I'm Barca all the way. If Inter wins, then I hope that Bayern kicks the crap out of them.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Correct decision. Ribery intentionally stomped that Lyon player and almost broke his leg. That's a 3 game ban in any league in the world.

What a load of ********. Intentionally stomped his leg. You obviously have no clue about soccer. It was an unintentional hard foul that most experts are saying is a dark yellow card, hardly a red even. Even the fouled player (Lopez) said it was not that bad.
The reason for the 3 game ban is that the UEFA claims it was an assault which it wasn't. Bayern rightfully are already appealing the ban.

Even the Italian ref didn't put the foul down as an assault in the game report. He put it down as a hard foul. Yet the UEFA took it and made judgement based on the false assumption that it was an assault on the player.

It's already questionable that an Italian ref sends off Ribery before a final against an Italian team.

In the World Cup or European Cup referees aren't used in the semi-finals if their country isn't eliminated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn