2007 Cardinals: The Hiring Process Is A Joke

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have learned obviously and are now quite good at the whole process :sarcasm:

Sad but true. I would think that the Cardinals should do a better job by sheer luck after all their ineptitude over the years. So when the Cardinals think about hiring a HC too long they diminish the luck factor.

Too bad the Cardinals cannot afford a good HC and assistants with the new stadium and all.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Sad but true. I would think that the Cardinals should do a better job by sheer luck after all their ineptitude over the years. So when the Cardinals think about hiring a HC too long they diminish the luck factor.

Too bad the Cardinals cannot afford a good HC and assistants with the new stadium and all.

See that's something that is bothering me to no end, all we heard forever was how the stadium would change everything and rightly so, but now it's here, the thing is full and named and yet we've really not seen much of anything in terms of paying coaches change.

To be fair this is the first time it's come up but after the dust settles if the next alternative is cheap then you've rightly got to ask why IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan, I commend you on staying the course with little to show for it.... however, please don't ask me to buy into it.

I like good ownership who knows what they are doing and are prepared to take advantage of opportunities when they arise. I am really hoping that the Cardinals are waiting to hire an assistant coach that's involved in the playoffs... and not still worried about the almighty buck with the new stadium revenue stream that is now available.

I also wonder if the Cardinals have already been turned down by some top candidates for being cheap?

Sadly, I look at some other sports organizations (like the Atlanta Hawks) and it's easy to see why they cannot produce a winner. It all starts with ownership.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
My problem is strictly about the process.

I am for Chow in that respect it isn't about the money I'd figure him to be on the low end of the $ spectrum and as such if it were just about the money than my point would be invalidated to a certain degree.

This is about at the heart of it how the decision gets made and the quality of them in general. I will wait until it plays out to evaluate it but make no mistake this is their first chance at the apple with everything in place, QB of the future, stadium, naming rights and all the money they ever could of dreamed of.

This is a historic fork in the road for this team, I'm getting too old to watch them amble down the wrong path again.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
question....how do you go from a well thought out obviously sane approach to this??? i guess it is your frusration and time it is taking to get done??

cool off...don't expect your first choice and if it is REJOICE!!!

lobo, if you will notice, I was asking K9 a question. This is definetely not what I want. I was just being sarcastic.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan, I commend you on staying the course with little to show for it.... however, please don't ask me to buy into it.

I like good ownership who knows what they are doing and are prepared to take advantage of opportunities when they arise. I am really hoping that the Cardinals are waiting to hire an assistant coach that's involved in the playoffs... and not still worried about the almighty buck with the new stadium revenue stream that is now available.

I also wonder if the Cardinals have already been turned down by some top candidates for being cheap?

Sadly, I look at some other sports organizations (like the Atlanta Hawks) and it's easy to see why they cannot produce a winner. It all starts with ownership.

So you've already condemned them before they even complete the process. Do the past drafts and resigning key players not even give you an inkling that things are changing? The Cardinals were cheap and there was no question of that fact, but that was 5 - 6 years ago. They have been making major strides in how they do business. The fact that you refuse to give them the benefit of a doubt makes me wonder if you've considered the whole picture.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
lobo, if you will notice, I was asking K9 a question. This is definetely not what I want. I was just being sarcastic.

sounded a bit like a person who lost it.........obviosly you have not!!!

keep cool...the whilte smoke will rise before you know it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you've already condemned them before they even complete the process. Do the past drafts and resigning key players not even give you an inkling that things are changing? The Cardinals were cheap and there was no question of that fact, but that was 5 - 6 years ago. They have been making major strides in how they do business. The fact that you refuse to give them the benefit of a doubt makes me wonder if you've considered the whole picture.

No, not completely. I just want the Cardinals to prove themselves. My quote below gives them the opportunity to prove me wrong.

I am really hoping that the Cardinals are waiting to hire an assistant coach that's involved in the playoffs... and not still worried about the almighty buck with the new stadium revenue stream that is now available.

Believe me, I want a local football team to support (hopefully the Cardinals), but I'm tired of feeling like Charlie Brown in the Peanuts Cartoon. Each year Lucy promises to let Charlie kick the football... only to have the football pulled away at the last second and he falls flat. This has been the legacy of believing in the Cardinals.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I will wait until it plays out to evaluate it but make no mistake this is their first chance at the apple with everything in place, QB of the future, stadium, naming rights and all the money they ever could of dreamed of.

Everything is exactly as it was last year except for Leinart. My only reason for hope is that he will make the same huge strides that other top NFL QB's have made between their 1st and 2nd seasons.

If he blows a TD in the redzone in the last two minutes with a chance to win an early season game against the Rams this fall I'm going to become a Soccer fan.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not completely. I just want the Cardinals to prove themselves. My quote below gives them the opportunity to prove me wrong.

Believe me, I want a local football team to support (hopefully the Cardinals), but I'm tired of feeling like Charlie Brown in the Peanuts Cartoon. Each year Lucy promises to let Charlie kick the football... only to have the football pulled away at the last second and he falls flat. This has been the legacy of believing in the Cardinals.

So if they hire Sherman or Chow, they will be making a mistake?

studiovx

Registered
Reaction score
They were actually scratching their heads and laughing on Sirius NFL network today about our "process" of finding a coach. Compared it to old-school college. Said we don't have a plan. Sure feels that way too.:bang:

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They were actually scratching their heads and laughing on Sirius NFL network today about our "process" of finding a coach. Compared it to old-school college. Said we don't have a plan. Sure feels that way too.:bang:

Maybe they are nervous that the Cards are really gonna take their time this time and get it right? If they do and the Cards put at least a 9-7 team on the field next year then who will they have left for a punching bag? They probably want more than just the Lions?

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I was excited about Buddy Ryan
I was excited about Vince Tobin
I was excited about Dave McGinnis
I was excited about Dennis Green
These were not stupid hires. These guys earned their right to HC the Cardinals. In hindsight, they were bad. But, the consensus was that these guys were good choices.
I don't think the process is flawed. I am excited about the HC candidates the team is considering.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I was worried about this process taking longer then I would have wanted to as well.

But, it doesnt look like any other team is in any rush either except for Atlanta.

Miami has talked to 15 different coaches, Pitt may be on its way to 6, no one wants to go to Oakland so I dont even include them.

This is just a very odd offseason so far in terms of coaching changes.

I guess I will wait. I just hope our new HC has a chance to check out the senior bowl week, even if his staff isnt up and running yet.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was worried about this process taking longer then I would have wanted to as well.

But, it doesnt look like any other team is in any rush either except for Atlanta.

Miami has talked to 15 different coaches, Pitt may be on its way to 6, no one wants to go to Oakland so I dont even include them.

I guess I will wait. I just hope our new HC has a chance to check out the senior bowl week, even if his staff isnt up and running yet.

When is the Sr. Bowl joe?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Joe, who would you like to see as our new coach?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Joe, who would you like to see as our new coach?

To be honest I dont know, each have about equal amount of positives and negatives IMO, which is hard when you had 7 guys to pick from.

I do believe we need to go offense coach. I will say the Wiz and Caldwell are the most intrigueing to me.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if they hire Sherman or Chow, they will be making a mistake?

Probably from the Cardinal's perspective.

Personally I would prefer Whisenhunt as HC. :)

It sounds like the coaching selection was already made (or near done) yesterday while we were discussing this matter.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably from the Cardinal's perspective.

Personally I would prefer Whisenhunt as HC. :)

It sounds like the coaching selection was already made (or near done) yesterday while we were discussing this matter.

Looks like you got your wish.:thumbup:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like you got your wish.:thumbup:

Actually, I didn't have a clear preference. I just wanted the Cardinal's to have a game plan. Also I found it ironic we were having this intense discussion yesterday while the Cardinals probably already had made their decision as to the HC would be.

Other posters who had predicted the Whisenhunt hire deserve the credit. I just wanted a Cardinals team in which to believe.

40yearfan, you also deserve the credit for hanging in there. I hope you like the hire.

:fans: