2006 World Cup

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Renz said:
Yeah, all he did was shut out Portugal for more than 120 minutes. :rolleyes:

Lampard, Gerrard and Carragher are the ones who choked.

Maybe so but he didn't even come close touching let alone blocking any of the penalty kicks, in fact most of the time he was going in the wrong direction.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Renz said:
Yeah, all he did was shut out Portugal for more than 120 minutes. :rolleyes:

Lampard, Gerrard and Carragher are the ones who choked.

I would give the credit for the shutout to the defense. There were never really any difficult saves for him to make.

Djaughe

Reaction score
I'm bummed for the WC to be over for Argentina and England. :(

Brazil losing did bring a smile to me. :)

In speaking with my uncle he explained that while most folks felt that Pekerman helped erase the bad memories of 2002 - the critics have been pretty harsh for the coach to take Riquelme (their play maker) off against Germany with 18 minutes of normal time remaining.

Critics have also been ripping how Pekerman committed a huge mistake (apparently his weak point as a coach) to go in protecting the lead than continue playing their "style".

Whatever that means...I'm guessing attacking more. But what fan in any sport doesn't make those types of comments?

I pointed out to him that whatever "style" he's talking about - to me I didn't see it against Holland and they certainly didn't look that great against Mexico.

However, all in all I think Argentina played a good tournament but oh well...I recken there's 2010 to look forward to.

Good luck to the teams that made the final four. But I'm rootin for the Frenchies.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Nate said:
Allez les Bleus, Ollie :thumbup:
Thanks and please kick Italia's dirty a$$. We have some defeats to avenge against germany, and the german team plays too well to be eliminated now, so I hope we'll meet in final ;)

On a side note, England should learn to kick penalties or go to an exorcist.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Ollie said:
Thanks and please kick Italia's dirty a$$. We have some defeats to avenge against germany, and the german team plays too well to be eliminated now, so I hope we'll meet in final ;)
Hope we will be there to be your sparring partner :)

In other news:
You must be registered for see images attach

German players cleared over brawl
Fifa will take no action against any German players following the brawl which marred the hosts' quarter-final victory over Argentina.

But Fifa is considering action against officials of both teams and has opened cases against two Argentine players.

Non-playing substitute Leandro Cufre was red-carded by referee Lubos Michel for his part in the fracas. A Fifa spokesman said Maxi Rodriguez may be punished for an "apparent attack on Bastien Schweinsteiger."

The spokesman added: "No German players will be sanctioned but a further assessment is being made with regard to officials of both teams."

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Argentina... dumb action nevertheless by Frings who deserves punishment, although he was reacting to the kicks of some of the Argentine players, the ones on Mertesacker not being the only ones...

Fifa launches inquiry on Frings
Fifa will investigate German midfielder Torsten Frings for his part in the fracas after Germany's win over Argentina in the quarter-finals.

Television footage appears to show the 29-year-old aiming a punch at Argentine striker Julio Cruz and Fifa has asked for an explanation by Monday morning.

The decision comes after Fifa announced earlier on Sunday that it would take no action against the German players. http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/germany/5138652.stm

Last edited:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Renz said:
6 of the 17 nations who hosted the WC ended up winning it, or 35%.

Could you imagine if 35% of the NFL teams that played in cities hosting the superbowl won the whole thing? There would be a huge investigation into game fixing.

Now of the 17 WC's how many times did the host nation make it to the final 4? Or better yet, how many times did the host nation not make it out of group play or eliminated in the second round?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Could you imagine if 35% of the NFL teams that played in cities hosting the superbowl won the whole thing? There would be a huge investigation into game fixing.

Now of the 17 WC's how many times did the host nation make it to the final 4? Or better yet, how many times did the host nation not make it out of group play or eliminated in the second round?

Like I said, it's a huge advantage, but by no means a guarantee that the home team wins it all.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

No host nation has ever failed to get out of the group stage.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

For me, your argument is non-pertinent because the superbowl is only one game. If teams hosting the superbowl played all regular season and playoff games at home, would you find amazing that 35% of the superbowl host teams won it all ?

For what it worth, 6 times in history the host nation didn't reach the final four (and 6 hosts nations won the world cup) : not really amazingly, the supposed "weak" hosts never made it, excepted Korea, when the "strong" hosts have done what they were supposed to do, reaching at least the semi finals.
Playing in front of its homecrowd with an easy schedule is an huge advantage for the big teams. Factor that with the fact that reaching the semis was way easier 'til 1998 (13, then 16 and then 24 teams per world cup, with two or three games to win to reach the semis) and you'll have at least half-decent explanation.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Doesnt convince me at all. It maybe, just maybe has sth do with the fact that the WC often was held by soccer powers. Just going through the recent list of tournaments, the hosts who went on to win "their" WC were France in 98, Argentine in 78 and Germany in 74.

France also won the Eurochampionship in 2000 with almost the same team (cohosts: Belgium/Netherlands), Argentina, ok they cheated;), having no success at all in the Copa America before and afterward, and Germany,well, they won the Eurochampionship in 72 (host: Belgium), were runner-up in 76 (Yugoslavia) and won again in 80 (host: Italy).

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nate said:
Doesnt convince me at all. It maybe, just maybe has sth do with the fact that the WC often was held by soccer powers. Just going through the recent list of tournaments, the hosts who went on to win "their" WC were France in 98, Argentine in 78 and Germany in 74.

France also won the Eurochampionship in 2000 with almost the same team (cohosts: Belgium/Netherlands), Argentina, ok they cheated;), having no success at all in the Copa America before and afterward, and Germany,well, they won the Eurochampionship in 72 (host: Belgium), were runner-up in 76 (Yugoslavia) and won again in 80 (host: Italy).

Guess we will find out in 4 years. If South Africa has the same success as South Korea......

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I think there's a slight advantage in hosting the WC.

Every team has to qualify for the WC except the host and the defending champions. That means 2 years of preparation time without any pressure. When every other team is out playing qualification games the host team can stay at home and practice and develop the team.

South Korea is the best example of that. The South Korean league was shut down and the South Koreann Soccer Federation bought their players playing abroad free six month before the last WC.

Last edited:

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
OK, Frings is banned for tommorows clash against Italy, according to reports published by German newsagencies. Grrrrrrrrr, although he should have let go the preceding slap by Cruz and just turn the other cheek. Frings should read more in the bible, I assume...

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Clearly there is an advantage for the hosting country, but they have to use it to their advantage. This year a study by German scientists was published who had researched the hormone levels of home and visiting players just before kickoff. Testosterone levels of home players were - on average - like 10 to 15 percent higher than the ones of visiting players, leading to more dominant and self-assured behaviour on court/field.

By the way, the highest rated economy with the potentially most potent sponsors hosted the WC 1994. Must have been the negative attitude of Fifa towards the hosts that led to a 3rd in group play finish and a following first-round exit against Brazil that year.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
England fires their coach and fills the position hours after the world cup while the good ole USA does nothing to improve but pray.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
England fires their coach and fills the position hours after the world cup while the good ole USA does nothing to improve but pray.
Note the day of the announcement:

Friday 5 April, 6.30 BST
BBC Radio Five Live
Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren has been appointed the next England manager, ending months of speculation over Sven-Goran Eriksson's successor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort