2006 World Cup

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Someone please explain to me how Mexico gets a seed and the US doesn't. We've proven over the past 4 or 5 years to be the better team. What a joke. Lets hope for a good draw and no "group of death"...lets also hope by the time next summer rolls around the team is healthy (especially O'Brien and Eddie Johnson)

U.S. just misses World Cup seed

Raf Casert
Associated Press
Dec. 6, 2005 12:00 PM

LEIPZIG, Germany - The United States came within a point Tuesday of being one of the seeded teams for next year's World Cup.

Under the draw procedure approved by the FIFA World Cup Organizing Committee, the U.S. team wound up just behind Argentina and Italy.

U.S. coach Bruce Arena wasn't surprised to miss out.

"I thought all along the draw is going to be difficult. The field is extremely strong," he said. "I think it's considerably stronger than what we saw in 2002."

The Americans can't meet a team from Asia in the first round of next year's tournament in Germany. There's a good chance they will get two European opponents and one from South America or Africa.

While the draws for the 1998 and 2002 World Cups took into account performance in the three previous tournaments along with FIFA's rankings, the formula was changed slightly for Friday's draw and was based on the prior two World Cups and the rankings.

Defending champion Brazil was first in the new formula with 64 points, followed by England (51), Spain (50), Germany (48), Mexico (47), France (46) and Argentina and Italy (44 apiece).

Those eight seeded teams will be placed together in Pot One for Friday's draw, and they can't meet each other in the first round.

The United States, a quarterfinalist at the 2002 World Cup, was ninth with 43 points, followed by the Netherlands (38).

For the rest of the draw, FIFA decided to place the teams as follows:

Pot Two-Angola, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Tunisia (Africa); Ecuador, Paraguay (South America); Australia (Oceania)

Pot Three-Croatia, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine (Europe)

Pot Four-Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea (Asia); Costa Rica, United States, Trinidad and Tobago (North and Central America and Caribbean)

FIFA put Serbia-Montenegro in a special pot because of its low ranking (47th). To avoid having a group with three European nations, Serbia-Montenegro will be placed in a group with Argentina, Brazil or Mexico.

Because they are from the same confederation, the United States can't be drawn into a group with Mexico.

Since returning to the World Cup in 1990 following a 40-year absence, the Americans are 3-10-2 in the tournament, including 1-8-1 against European teams.

"It's likely that we have two teams from Europe. I'm not going to worry about it one way or the other," Arena said.

While the U.S. team could be in group with Brazil, the Netherlands and Paraguay, it also could be together with Spain, Angola and Australia. The Americans are ranked eighth in the world, down two spots from August.

"Any group we're going to be in is going to be a tough group," Arena said.

Host Germany will head Group A and Brazil will top Group F, allowing them to play in Berlin, Munich and Dortmund, the three biggest stadiums. Jim Brown, FIFA's director of competitions, said "economic factors" played a leading role in that decision.

Despite the lobbying, Dutch coach Marco van Basten expected his team to be omitted from the top eight.

"The Netherlands wasn't there at the last World Cup in 2002," he said in a statement. "So I think it's logical that we're not among the top seeds this time."

FIFA's new formula based seeds half on the last two World Cups, with 2002 given twice the weight of 1998, and half on each team's FIFA ranking in 2003, 2004 and 2005, with each weighted equally.

FIFA said the World Cup winner will earn $18.75 million. Each team will be guaranteed at least $1.5 million per first-round game, assuring each nation a minimum of $4.5 million.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The formula they use to come up with these rankings is lame. Spain never does jack in the World Cup and they barely qualified this time around. Mexico is living off some perceived past glory or something. They are way overrated.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Problem is, they factored in the 1998 World Cup results as well, which doomed us, the team that finished? You guessed it, 32nd. I'm mad that Mexico made it and we didn't, to be sure. Steaming mad. Still, they usually would have gone back to 1994 under normal circumstances, so I guess there isn't much we could've done.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
the cream always rises to the top fellas ;)

i think Mexico have always been a decent tourney team so does not surprise me a great deal - not that im saying they should be there!! I dont think that the Us are a top 8 side either to be honest but i would say you were at least as good as mexico :shrug: if that makes sense!

teams like Spain and Holland have great players but always flop in the world or euro cups!

either of these sides in a game v mexico they could be strong favourites but always find a way to get knocked out somehow!

looking forward to it either way - hope we get the same group, could do with a fight :mad: :eek: :thud: ha ha

Stout

Reaction score
You know, I could care less if we're put into a 'group of death' (as long as we're not in Germany's group!). Screw it. We're a damn good team, and it'll make advancing, for we WILL advance, all the sweeter.

Remember 2002, when we had a 'group of death' and had to play both Portugal and Korea? Who advanced? Yeah, that's right, the USA.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Stout said:
You know, I could care less if we're put into a 'group of death' (as long as we're not in Germany's group!). Screw it. We're a damn good team, and it'll make advancing, for we WILL advance, all the sweeter.

Remember 2002, when we had a 'group of death' and had to play both Portugal and Korea? Who advanced? Yeah, that's right, the USA.
I remember before the first game in 2002, many Europeans were predicting we would lose to Portugal 10-0. What happened? That's right! We kicked their ass!! :rockon:

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The draw is Friday I believe, then we will really have something to talk about.

Mexico is still overrated IMO...I hope they don't get out of group play.

Stout

Reaction score
Renz said:
I remember before the first game in 2002, many Europeans were predicting we would lose to Portugal 10-0. What happened? That's right! We kicked their ass!! :rockon:

Oh hell yeah! I remember dancing around my apartment at something like 5 am screaming and shouting and whooping for joy. Good times :D

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
USA Soccer sux :barf:

ahhhh just warming up for the summer ;)

really looking foward to it and the banter the somes with it - i would like it if we get you guys in the group stages just for a bit a banter on here if nothing else :thumbup:

Stout

Reaction score
English on tour said:
ahhhh just warming up for the summer ;)

really looking foward to it and the banter the somes with it - i would like it if we get you guys in the group stages just for a bit a banter on here if nothing else :thumbup:

Same for you guys. With the way the groups may pan out, it's entirely possible that one of us has to sit out after the group stages. Remember, your run of form hasn't been the best, and your coach was recently on the hot seat ;)

So, here's to hoping we both advance! :thumbup:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A1 Brazil
B1 England
C1 Argentina
D1 Mexico
E1 Italy
F1 Germany
G1 France
H1 Spain

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After two placements...

A Germany, Ecuador
B England, Paraguay
C Argentina, Ivory Coast
D Mexico, Angola
E Italy, Ghana
F Brazil, Australia
G France, Togo
H Spain, Tunisia

Group G looks to be the place to be....

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After three placements...

A Germany, Ecuador, Poland
B England, Paraguay, Sweden
C Argentina, Ivory Coast, Netherlands
D Mexico, Angola, Portugal
E Italy, Ghana, Czech Republic
F Brazil, Australia, Croatia
G France, Togo, Switzerland
H Spain, Tunisia, Ukraine

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serbia into pool C - USA Pool up next. So we can not be with Argentina or Mexico.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US - Group E with Italy and Czech Republic

Dang - tough pool :mad:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FINAL placements

A Germany, Ecuador, Poland, Costa Rica