2006 Cardinals: Identity Crisis

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Optimism is reining high in Arizona this year...for the Arizona Cardinals have reasons to believe they will rise from the ashes...like the Phoenix itself...to become a legitimate playoff caliber football team. These hopes and expectations are further scintillated by the arrival of an awesome brand new state-of-the-art stadium...the only one of its kind...replete with a retractable roof and a movable grass field that will be basking in the Arizona sun during the week and sitting pretty in the floor of the stadium on the weekends...and the hopes and expectations of the franchise are even further galvanized by the Cardinals' surprising feat of landing the prize player in free agency, All-Pro caliber RB, Edgerrin James, formerly of the Indianapolis Colts....and if that wasn't enough...the Cardinals may have pulled off grand larceny in the 2006 NFL Draft by adding the 2004 Heisman Trophy winner and two-time NCAA Champion, QB Matt Leinart, with the tenth pick, no less!

However...these current Cardinals could be headed for another disappointing season because they may be faced with an identity crisis on both ends of the football.

With the arrival of Edgerrin James comes the pressure to run the football. The problem is...the current offensive line is not suited to run the football...and the mentality of the offense is not of the smashmouth variety, the very mentality that teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers thrive on and have cultivated as an integral part of their tradition and modus operandi for years.

Here are some of the reason why the Cardinals will have a difficult time running the football:

1. Only two of the starters on the line are solid, consistent run blockers: LT Leonard Davis and RG Milford Brown. Davis, who once appeared to be a shoe-in All-Pro at guard, is an imposing and daunting figure to deal with...but he plays on the edge now and the Cardinal problems are on the interior.

Milford Brown, signed as an UFA in the off-season, is an aggressive blocker who has the girth and techinique to budge and maneuver the league's powerful DTs. Brown, however, is just starting to come into his own. He still lacks experience...but the ability is there.

As for the other starters on the line...the one most capable of getting a surge in the running game is newcomer, RT Brandon Gorin, who brings valuable pressure game experience from his starting stints with the New England Patriots. While Gorin has ability...he's one of those players who mystifies coaches because of his inconsistency and sometimes indifferent moods.

The run blocking is weakest at left guard and center...the two positions that most good running teams try to stack with talent...the very reason why the Vikings, for example, broke the bank to sign UFA All-World LG Steve Hutchinson from the Seattle Seahawks. Was it a coincidence that the two best LGs in the game, Hutchinson and Alan Faneca of the Pittsburgh Steelers happened to propel their teams to Super Bowl berths last year? Left guard has become, in my opinion, the most important position (other than QB) in an offense.

The Cardinals signed their incumbent LG, Reggie Wells, to a lucrative multi-year contract, deciding to match the generous RFA offer sheet Wells received from the Buffalo Bills. What's a little mind boggling about Wells' re-signing is that Wells has yet to show any prowess whatsoever at creating a consistent budge on opposing DTs. Through four games in the pre-season this has not changed, nor has the Cardinals ability to run the football effectively changed for the better. These trends are linked because one poor run blocker can hamper a team's rushing ability in a big way.

The Cardinals drafted a player who could be the future at LG...Deuce Lutui, an All-American from USC. Lutui has shown some pop in the pre-season, but hasn't found a comfort level yet in the system...and at times, seems lost out there.

At center, the Cardinals are starting third year pro, Alex Stepanovich, who remains a liability in the running game. Stepanovich is slow off the ball and is agonizingly slow at picking up inside blitzes...which have been the nemesis of the Cardinals' running game for several years now...just ask Emmitt Smith, Marcel Shipp and J.J. Arrington who must have nightmares about getting pasted while securing the handoff.

Behind Stepanovich is an intriguing player, third year pro Nick Leckey of Kansas St. Leckey is a diminutive center who is a fine technician and a smart, savvy performer. There was an noticeable improvement in the cohesiveness of the line when Leckey became the starter last year...the line seems to get off the ball quicker with Leckey delivering the snaps...and it appears to be more in sync. However, the coaches seem more enamored with Stepanovich's physical abilities and have thus far bypassed Leckey. While Leckey may not seem to be an ideal answer for improving the running game, it would appear that he is better capable of picking up the inside blitzes that have plagued the unit's production.

The good news is that Wells and Stepanovich are solid pass protectors...which aids and abets the team's prolific passing attack.

And herein lies the crux of the matter...this offense has one of the most prodigious passing attacks in all of football. It boasts two splendid passers in Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart...two of the most talented and productive WRs in the NFL in Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald...perhaps the most talented #3 WR in the NFL in Bryant Johnson...and a 6'8" rookie phenom at TE in Leonard Pope...not to mention...and with all of the media focus being on the Cards' poor running game, this has been vastly overlooked...the Cardinals added a RB who is probably the best pass catching RB in the game, in Edgerrin James.

The smartest thing Dennis Green and Keith Rowen could do, in my opinion, is sell the team, the media and the fans on the notion that this offense is a pass first, run second offense...in doing so, this would take the pressure off the team to have to produce consistently respectable running stats...and it would place the emphasis of the offense smack dab on where it is strongest...

The reality is...there are many ways to skin a cat...as long as this offense is putting up enough points that would enable the team to win more games than it loses...who cares whether the Cardinals can consistently run the ball? The name of the game is scoring touchdowns and winning football games. Yes, ideally, teams want to be able to run and pass for TDs...but a TD is TD no matter how it is achieved.

When asked by the media if there is frustration about the running game in light of Edge not getting his typical numbers, Dennis Green could say, "Hey, we signed James because he's also the best pass catching RBs and pass blocking RBs in football and we love the way he makes our passing game even stronger."

Let's say a typical game for Edge this year is 14 carries for 49 yards and 6 catches for 68 yards...that's 20 touches for 117 yards...so what does it matter?

I love what Anquan Boldin said in a recent interview...he said that the offense is going to take what the defense gives them...he said that audibles will be in place and if the defense is stacking the box, Warner will pass...if the defense is backing the safeties off to double on him or Fitzy, then Warner may check to the run. Pretty simple approach...and the right one...which is why I am hoping the Cardinals will throw almost all the time on first down...to back off the safeties and then give the unit the better chance to run on subsequent downs.

The worst thing to happen would be for the Cardinals to try to force the run in the hopes that Edge will get his accustomed numbers...that will exacerbate the identity crisis that this team needs to avoid...it needs to look at its strengths and play to the strengths...in an effort to do one important thing: win ballgames.

Is there a potential identity crisis on defense? Yes. The problem is, while the Cardinals are much stronger across the board in the front seven, the secondary schemes are far too passive to support and take advantage of an aggressive front seven...

The current philosophy seems to be a "bend but don't break" philosophy (predicated by soft zones and seven yard cushions on the corners)...which will be agonizing and often demoralizing to watch, as teams dink and dunk their way down field for large chunks of time on a consistent basis...while converting third downs with relative ease.

The defensive identity of this football team should be to play super fast and aggressively in all aspects of defense...Clancy Pendergast should roll the corners up to play press coverage and continue to send the ranch after the opposing QB...yeah they may give up some big plays, but, if the pressure up front with or without blitzes is fast and furious...this defense could skyrocket near to the top of the league in turnovers.

In doing so, the plan has to be to get the Cardinals' high powered offense on the field as many times as possible...and not have them sit on the sidelines for long, frustrating stretches.

The good news is that the Cardinals' special teams are taking major steps to creating the right and positive identity...this has been manifested in the aggressive, good, strong special teams play we saw in pre-season and the fact that Dennis Green and his staff paid close attention to special teams during roster cuts, as evidenced by the team's decision to keep players such as Diamond Ferri, Ernest Shazor, Aaron Francisco, Fred Wakefield and A.J. Shable...who all will have very valuable roles in a variety of ways on the special teams. The only player they missed out on keeping in my opinion was John Bronson, who is the rare type of player who can bust up a wedge and still make the tackle.

If the Cardinals understand who they are...chances are we fans, the coaches and the players will be sleeping well most Sunday nights. Heck, maybe even Edge will be granted his request that the team be given Victory Monday Day Offs. If the Cardinals try to force a different identity upon themselves, get the Tylenol PM ready.

One final note: this next off-season should be focused on getting the personnel on the offensive line right...and cultivating the running attack mentality...when both are in place, then we may be able to see a balanced offense.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we have to worry about the Cards offense getting overly infatuated with running the ball. They threw the ball on the first 5 plays in the Denver game and I think they will do the same in the season as well if teams stack the box.

Cards232

Registered
Reaction score
Great post Mitch. I see some stricking similarities between these Cards & the Rams of 99'. The Rams were a pass first offense as well. Many who look at the Rams' rushing numbers back then don't realize that many of those numbers came in the latter parts of games after the opposing teams had been demorilized & beatin. Defenses certainly didn't have 8 in the box looking to stop the run. Time will tell.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This team was never going to be a power rushing team a la the Steelers or Ravens back in the day. Edge isn't a power runner like Ricky Williams.

What this team probably will feature is a lot of finesse running plays that aren't going to make guys like Step do things that they cannot do, which is stop an NT cold and push him five yards back. Those are the plays that make the Broncos good, as well as the kind of seams that Edge had gotten used to having open as a Colt.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
The running game will have to come into play in short yardage, particularly the RedZone. We have to be able to punch them in the mouth and take a yard.

We also have to be able to take a lead to the last tick...we need a running game even when the defense knows we are going to run.

Conversely, I like the improvement on our D-line to shut the inside run down. That is just as big for all the same reasons.

Nice post Mitch.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Mitch,

I agree we should be a pass offense. Consistently running on first down for a loss or a small gain is killing us. The mindset that we have to run the ball to win is mind boggling. We have not been able to run the ball for a number of years. Consistently trying to do something you can't do is insane.

What do you think is the chance Deuce will start at LG and Wells will move to center sometime during the season?

I am a little perplexed about the CBs playing so far all the ball during preseason. Especially Rolle. I am hoping we won't do this during the regular season and this was due to a lack of game planning. The bend but don't break defense drives me crazy.

CorporalCardinal

Look! A Cards fan in Iraq
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Edge is used to the pass first mentality though. In Indy he was dealing with the most prolific passer in the league since Marino and a combination of 3 talented recievers (sound familiar?) and a sure handed tight end who could blow up the seem and provide a red zone threat (again, sound similiar?). I think Edge is well aware that we may throw early and often, but he'll get his touches when the opportunities present themselves (i.e. Marshall Faulk in the Rams hayday).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A few things

First, nice writing as usual, Mitch.

Second, I wouldn't assume that the "bend but don't break" preseason look will carry over into the regular season. During preseason, the Cards were only showing opponents what they wanted them to see.

Third, I don't think we have an identity crisis. What we are right now is an NFL team with a high-powered passing attack and aggressive, gambling defense.

Finally, although the offensive line continues to suck big time, the team has made several improvements vs. the past year: (1) our young receivers are one year more experienced. (2) Walters adds a new ingrediant to our receiving corps. (3) Leonard Pope and Wakefield add new attributes to TE. (4) Edge. (5) The interior of our D-Line has been rebuilt and is stouter. (6) More depth at LB. (7) All those young DB's we pulled in off the street and as UDFAs last year (i.e. Reid, Francisco, Shazor etc.) have one more year's worth of experience. (8) Antrel's back.

How many wins better than last year? We won 5 a year ago. I think we're 3-5 wins better.

Herdman

Rookie
Reaction score
In for some major suprises

Based on the reported roster and associated cuts, I don't think any one of us who have not been in the last two weeks of closed practices have any clue in the world what we will see in the first 6 weeks of the season on offense or defense. That said, faith in observations of Mitch, Gollin, Skkorp, and all the regulars sure makes it fun guessing. Also makes me wonder whatever happened to Hardy Brown? Based on his posts early in camp, I would have to believe that he has been privy to the closed practices.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch, this is one of your better posts and I think you are dead on accurate. I don't want us to fall into the trap of a "we got Edge, we have to run" mentality. Our offensive weapons are huge, while our Oline is weak runblocking they are pretty good passblocking.

And you are dead on about Edge and touches...if he gets 45 and 65, that's a great game.

I'd really like to see us use the playaction quite a bit this season, especially on first down. Teams will expect us to run Edge, and let's take advantage of it. Vs. Denver the first play was a PA (not a very well sold one) but resulted in a wide open Boldin and a big gain. With edge back there, you just have to point the ball in his direction and the LBs will bite, leaving the middle open for a smart player like Anquan. Edge in the backfield is going to benefit Q sooooo much. He has to be ecstatic.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Teams will expect us to run Edge, and let's take advantage of it. Vs. Denver the first play was a PA (not a very well sold one) but resulted in a wide open Boldin and a big gain. With edge back there, you just have to point the ball in his direction and the LBs will bite, leaving the middle open for a smart player like Anquan. Edge in the backfield is going to benefit Q sooooo much. He has to be ecstatic.

Excellent point.

Also when teams blitz from the outside like they've loved to do against us the past few years the ball is dumped off to one of the best runners in the game.

And then when the field shrinks inside the 20 we bring in the short yardage group and its 7 instead of 3.

We haven't had serious weapons like these since....1998 and the 2006 weapons are better both in talent and attitude. If this were any team but the Cardinals they would be considered realistic deep playoff contenders.

spanky1

Reaction score
Mitch,'

You and I were wrong on Bronson....oh well.

Otherwise, not a bad rehash of every sports mag out there.....

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Also when teams blitz from the outside like they've loved to do against us the past few years the ball is dumped off to one of the best runners in the game.

It seemed like last season teams liked to blitz up the middle because our interior offensive line was horrible--especially in the first quarter of the season. In this scenario, I like the potential for Leonard Pope to make the catch as the hot route than either Edwards or Bergen did last season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
It seemed like last season teams liked to blitz up the middle because our interior offensive line was horrible--especially in the first quarter of the season. In this scenario, I like the potential for Leonard Pope to make the catch as the hot route than either Edwards or Bergen did last season.

Either way we have the tools to beat the blitz.

The skill players on this team are getting to the same level as what Dallas brought on the field with Aikman,Novacek,Irvin,Smith and Harper. They may be better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Either way we have the tools to beat the blitz.

The skill players on this team are getting to the same level as what Dallas brought on the field with Aikman,Novacek,Irvin,Smith and Harper. They may be better.

I think you're right. I just hope that we have the tools on the line to match their success.

Hopefully Antrel can be the second coming of Deion, only willing to tackle.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I think you're to "set" in the way you want to see the Edge signing.

You want Green to sell the team as a pass first offense... Well, hasn't he already done that. I mean, when you have a 1st rounder and the best rookie WR ever already on you're roster and you select perhaps the best WR prospect in 20 years on top of that.... Doesn't that kinda prove that you are a pass first offense?

I don't think Edge was brought here to create a top 5 rushing offense. Edge was IMO brought here to keep the defense honest. With Edge our opponents have to keep 7 in the box. That means double coverage on Fitz (which he can beat) AND single coverage on Boldin, BJ an Pope. I'll take that ANY day.

If the addition of Edge, Milford, Gorin, Lutui and Looney combined with a healthy Wells, Step and Ross means just a 30% improvement of the running game - then we'll have the best offense in the league. That's good enough for me.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
In theory, the post makes sense.But, in reality, predicting a team's personality on what they do in the pre-season is pretty hard to do. You don't know if the Cards are going to play passive coverage schemes or what kind of blitz packages they will run. Everything is pretty vanilla in the pre-season. I wouldn't make an assessment on the teams perosnality until about game 4 of the regular season. You have no idea of what kind of run game we will have until James is actually in there on a regular basis. Most RB's get better the more touches they get and the defense tires. I think the Cards will evolve from a apssing team to a running in the 2nd half of the year. Of course, we won't know until the action is real and counts.