15 thoughts - Seahawks game

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless you have access to NFL teams draft boards none of that matters at all. Obviously multiple teams had other WRs ranked ahead of Metcalf that isn’t debatable. Talk about spin.

If I could see other teams draft boards I guarentee nobody had Isabella over Metcalf.

Right now 6th rounder Scotty Miller is light years ahead of Isabella.

Reaction score
1 – What a wonderful, wonderful game by Kyler Murray! Great show.
I was very skeptical of the hype on K1, prior to him being drafted! Happy to be wrong - He's got IT!! Check out the 4 second video clip of Kyler recognizing Hopkins is open long; its great! On this page: https://www.azcardinals.com/news/a-sunday-night-to-remember-and-seahawks-aftermath
2 – I rarely give the interior offensive line any love, so I will today.
Transformation of the OL has been a key factor in making the Cardinals competitive. With the exception of the late hit, which was penalized, Murray was untouched while in the pocket! Props to all the OL and coach Kugler.
3 – Vance Joseph’s best coaching job of all time might be to make a contributor out of Hasson Reddick.
Reddick was a playmaker at OLB/DE his last two years at Temple. The placement of Reddick at ILB his rookie year was a desperation move by the Cardinals staff; at the time there was no one else on the roster they could play there. Reddick clearly did not make the adjustment to the new position. It is ridiculous that it took two years to realize he was a fish out of water there! Glad he is back in the position he should have been all along! So that's a long-winded way of saying it's not so much that Joseph "coached him up".
5 – I have no idea, so I am asking you longtime fans: Budda Baker is obviously a stud. Does he brings back memories of Larry Wilson, or is that comparison completely wrong?
The game is so different now, than it was when Wilson played, that it's difficult to make comparisons. But the one similarity I see is that they both like the contact part of the game, and play with reckless disregard!
6 – It has always confused me why some wants Patrick Peterson traded, and again yesterday he was playing really well. Trade deadline coming up next week. You still want it after his play this season?
Peterson basically took Metcalf out of the Seahawks offense yesterday! He should be applauded as such.
7 - I think by now we all know how it was out of necessity that they played the draft process as they did, before they dumped Rosen and picked Murray. What a great move by Keim and Bidwill to take that chance.
Universally acknowledged! Of course, in hindsight we can all say that rather than moving up and drafting Rosen, the Cardinals should have taken Lamar Jackson. :cool:
9 – Yes, we all know that Russell Wilson is good, but the defense being sliced up like that for most of the game was embarrassing.

P.S. That also tells the story about the great in-game adjustments by Vance Joseph.
I am alternately frustrated and pleased by VJ in each and every game!
10 – I have seen some wondering why Kingsbury decided to kick the first field goal in overtime on second down, instead of trying to get some additional yards before kicking. Let’s calm down on that. It was a 41 yard kick. Gonzalez needs to make that.
That call by KK typifies the "you're a genius when it succeeds, and an idiot when it fails" scenario.
11 – Markus Golden was one of my three proposed options to replace Chandler Jones because of exactly what we saw last night: almost no pressure on the quarterback without blitzing.
Glad to have Golden back with Birdgang! He should help.
13 – During the week I heard an analyst say that Kyler Murray scrambling is the hardest play to defend in the NFL, and without having seen all often-go-to-play, I tend to believe it.
With K1's scrambling/rushing and KK's play design, opposing defenses face a dilemma!
14 – "I did (think Baker would score) until that huge stallion of a human came galloping out of nowhere," coach Kliff Kingsbury said. "… DK Metcalf is an absolute freak athlete, and what an effort play by him. High school coaching will be showing that one for years."

Nice job of going with Andy Isabella two picks ahead of Metcalf.

(Forget about the play itself. Think instead of Kingsbury’s description, and the fact that Isabella are basically being asked to do the things that Metcalf does really well, and the fact that the 2019 NFL draft is not long ago, so pretty much nothing has changed in the two player’s fundamental characteristics)
Huge "swing and a miss". But one thing leads to another, i.e.- If the Cardinals took Metcalf, in all likelihood they would not now have Hopkins. . .

As always, enjoy reading your 15 thoughts, Gandhi. :thumbup:

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I thought Patrick Peterson was great this game. He gave up some grabs that were highlight reel material, but he still had good coverage. Probably his best game this season.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 – I have no idea, so I am asking you longtime fans: Budda Baker is obviously a stud. Does he brings back memories of Larry Wilson, or is that comparison completely wrong?
I've only seen highlights of Larry Wilson, so i can't comment... but he sure is starting to remind me of the guy who previously wore #32 in Arizona!

...dave

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#5 that comparison isn’t anywhere close to accurate. Larry Wilson was a major ball hawk and TO creating machine in his career finishing with 52ints. Even if BB plays for 12 years he on pace for 6 INTs in his career.

That’s not hating just a fact.

I too can look up some numbers, Shane, but I was looking to hear stories based on the eye test. :) That is why I used the words that I did. Having seen what other say about the thought, obviously I should have used other words. Sorry for the confusing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Every time I hear Isabella mentioned positively its as a decoy. Which is no way to forge an NFL career.

I agree. This is a very recent second round pick that is basically being used – and playing like – J. J. Nelson.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#14 - That is such revisionist history.

Here is the stats for DK Metcalf in college in his last season: 26 catches for 569 yards

Here is the stats for Isabella in his last season: 102 catches for 1689 yards.

You still want to tell me nothing has changed since draft day?

Proximo, while I understand your view, I was trying to make it clear that I did not write it based on stats. I wrote it based on Kingsbury’s own description of Metcalf, and how Andy Isabella is being used.

Metcalf was being used on specific types of plays at Ole Miss, and I suppose that is why his numbers were not that impressive. Now, I will certainly admit that I did not want to draft him, but again, I was not thinking about what I would do, but rather that I don’t understand Kingsbury’s (or Keim’s) decision when they obviously felt highly about Metcalf. The 2019 draft was so recently that yes, I do think that not much have changed. I would argue that both player’s strength, weaknesses and psychical abilities are pretty much the same as when they were picked. And yes, I am aware that they obviously has felt even higher of Isabella.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Unless you have access to NFL teams draft boards none of that matters at all. Obviously multiple teams had other WRs ranked ahead of Metcalf that isn’t debatable. Talk about spin.

Zeno, though I know that your post were pointed at another member, I allow myself to answer.

With that logic we could never discuss players leading up to the draft. Neither I or you have any idea of a teams’ draft board – and since they are obviously constructed to fit the specific team, neither do Mel Kiper, Daniel Jeremiah or other outsider know anything about the 32 boards. You are of course correct, but it certainly does limit our opinions as fans.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Reddick was a playmaker at OLB/DE his last two years at Temple. The placement of Reddick at ILB his rookie year was a desperation move by the Cardinals staff; at the time there was no one else on the roster they could play there. Reddick clearly did not make the adjustment to the new position. It is ridiculous that it took two years to realize he was a fish out of water there! Glad he is back in the position he should have been all along! So that's a long-winded way of saying it's not so much that Joseph "coached him up".

CL, I kind of lean toward that statement being unfair. You are of course correct that Vance Joseph did not coach Reddick up, but it was still Joseph that finally got the best out of him – no matter why or how other coordinators were playing Reddick in wrong spots.

Also, I would argue that it has ruined many players to get move around like Reddick has for three years, so I don’t think it was a given that he would find back to his play at Temple.

Universally acknowledged! Of course, in hindsight we can all say that rather than moving up and drafting Rosen, the Cardinals should have taken Lamar Jackson. :cool:

Well, yes, that is correct, but skipping you first round quarterback after only one year to draft his successor? I certainly don’t think that is something every team would do, no matter if they actually thought it would be the right thing to do.

As always, enjoy reading your 15 thoughts, Gandhi.

Thank you, CL! Always much appreciated.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. This is a very recent second round pick that is basically being used – and playing like – J. J. Nelson.

Not even that. JJ Nelson had 300 yards and 2 TDs in his rookie year. He had 600 yards and 6 TDs his 2nd year.

Isabella is a 2nd round pick that dreams of being JJ Nelson. I don't know how anyone can defend him.

The worst one are those that say "Look at his college stats vs Metcalf" like stats have ever been a factor in drafting. If stats were a factor then Caleb Wilson, who had the best stats of any TE in his draft class wouldn't have been the 15th TE taken and Mr Irrelevant.

The WR's taken after Isabella were DJ Metcalf, Dontae Johnson and Terry McLaurin. You have guys like Hunter Renfrow and Darius Slayton in the 5th round trolling Andy. Travis Fulgham, a 6th rounder has more production in 4 recent games. Kelvin Harmon and Scotty Miller both have more production than Andy from the 6th round. Olabisi Johnson, a 7th rounder playing for the Vikings has more yards and as many TDs as Andy.

He was an astronomical waste of a 2nd round pick because nobody in the draft world thought he was a 2nd round player except PFF. Let's just admit it and move on and stop wasting time defending something thats obvious to everyone.

He's a body catcher with short arms, a small catch radius who has issues tracking the ball in the air and can't high point. With below average hands as the cherry on top. But he's quick, so he's a good decoy.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No matter how you slice it, I still don't understand how you take Andy Freakin Isabella when Metcalf, the consensus #1 WR in the draft is still on the board.

I dont think Metcalf was the #1 WR...he had doubts around him.

Here IMO is the bigger question that we never ask. Lets say Metcalf was off our board for some reason. We wanted more of a small, quick, speedster......WHY DIDN'T WE PICK TERRY MCLAURIN!!

He played at Ohio State. He had 11 TD's his senior year. He ran a 4.35 at the combine. He had 900+ recieveing yards a rookie, and is basically Washington's only weapon.

Imagine having McLaurin out there with DHOP. IMO he was the missed pick. Everyone knew Metcalf was a workout warrior, and he has turned out much better than I thought he would be....but McLaurin would have been a sneaky, sleeper pick that would have fit this offense perfectly.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Zeno, though I know that your post were pointed at another member, I allow myself to answer.

With that logic we could never discuss players leading up to the draft. Neither I or you have any idea of a teams’ draft board – and since they are obviously constructed to fit the specific team, neither do Mel Kiper, Daniel Jeremiah or other outsider know anything about the 32 boards. You are of course correct, but it certainly does limit our opinions as fans.

There is a difference of stating fact and opinion to flatly "guarantee" implies fact not opinion.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Here IMO is the bigger question that we never ask. Lets say Metcalf was off our board for some reason. We wanted more of a small, quick, speedster......WHY DIDN'T WE PICK TERRY MCLAURIN!!

He played at Ohio State. He had 11 TD's his senior year. He ran a 4.35 at the combine. He had 900+ recieveing yards a rookie, and is basically Washington's only weapon.

Imagine having McLaurin out there with DHOP. IMO he was the missed pick. Everyone knew Metcalf was a workout warrior, and he has turned out much better than I thought he would be....but McLaurin would have been a sneaky, sleeper pick that would have fit this offense perfectly.

McLaurin is everything I wished Isabella was

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
#14--about Metcalf and his amazing rundown. Here is a link to another similar run down by another player from a few years ago. It might be more amazing than this one. If you're a Patriots or BB hater, then don't watch.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

(I hope it will open for you).

AirRaid

Rookie
Reaction score
The issue with Metcalf were concerns with drops and teams didn't have faith that he could learn the entire route tree and run the routes at a pro level. There's a reason he went in the mid-second round. Everyone saw it. Hindsight is 20-20, I thought he was going to be a beast at the next level but you can't spend a first rounder on a guy with that many questions. Especially a receiver when the biggest question mark is route running.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Every time I hear Isabella mentioned positively its as a decoy. Which is no way to forge an NFL career.

No matter how you slice it, I still don't understand how you take Andy Freakin Isabella when Metcalf, the consensus #1 WR in the draft is still on the board.

I dont even blame Izzy

Thats all Kiem.

Granted it is starting to look like like he hit on Hump and Riddick but to blow 3 wr picks in one draft is borderline inexcusable

I think both sides can be right on the Isabella debate.

Metcalf wasnt some lock wr. However, there was nothing about Isabella that was some lock either.

The issue is assuming that Kyler and Andy would have automatic chemistry. You draft a short QB and then give him a shorter WR? Why?

Andy would be better with a more precise QB. Kyler would be better with a WR he trusts that has a larger catch radius. Kyler is scared to throw to Andy sometimes because he's got alligator arms.

The troubling thing about Andy....who I've learned to really root for.....is that we never throw him any screen passes. We'd rather throw 37 year old Larry Fitz a screen pass over Andy.

The issue isnt passing on Metcalf. Its not doing the scouting well enough to find the Terry McLaurin or Darius Slayton. Heck SCOTTY MILLER is exactly what we hope Andy could be. Kid is killing it. Again he's got a precise QB, but he also seems much better at tracking the deep ball.

Hunter Renfrow was ready to play in the slot day 1 in the NFL.

Draft is an inexact science but we cant miss on on all the top wrs in the draft.

I'm hopeful Andy gets better in time. He's a guy I really root for. It just sucks to miss out on such solid wrs in a draft full of them.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
3 In fact Reddick is going to be very hard to keep. The Cards may not be able to tag him.

5 Baker played wonderfully, but the comparison to Wilson is primarily misplaced, though both were on the small side. Wilson is credited with my originating the safety blitz. He wasn’t a super speedster like Baker, though he had speed. He was best at pass defense and coverage. One season he intercepted 10 passes including one in seven straight games. For his career he intercepted 52 passes & recovered 14 fumbles. He hardly ever came up to the line unless blitzing, which he did with a last minute burst. He was a better tackler than Baker, though Baker is improving. Still, Baker has a long career ahead, he could be better one day.

6 My primary concern is can they afford to sign him? If not can they afford the cost of tagging him? Remember the cap will likely decline. They can’t keep everyone. They won’t trade him, but there’s a cost.

8 He might be the smartest guy in the league.

11 Golden is decent but he won’t be as good without Jones. Price was right.

13 Completely agree.

Reaction score
Well, yes, that is correct, but skipping you first round quarterback after only one year to draft his successor? I certainly don’t think that is something every team would do, no matter if they actually thought it would be the right thing to do.
Agreed! It took balls to make that move.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No idea why Kliff would run this play to the short side of the field. He coached this kid. Too fast for that. If thats Kyler vs. Wagner thats a touchdown.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard