15 thoughts - Rams game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – This is unacceptable. I don’t have the answers, but something has got to change.

2 – Steve Keim have been aggressive in assembling this team, but how many misses is enough for Michael Bidwill?

3 – I have never heard of a head coach losing the locker room before his first bye week, but Steve Wilks might just accomplish that.

4 – Basically from the first quarter, I never had the feeling that they would stand a chance in that game. Just a hunch.

5 – What was Patrick Peterson and Antoine Bethea doing celebrating an interception with some choreographed celebration when they had been destroyed for three quarters at that point? Show some remorse!

6 – Brandon Williams is probably better than Jamar Taylor. Okay, take a deep breath, but Taylor is really not that good.

7 - #FirstOverall

8 – It’s a strange strategy by Mike McCoy to apparently call several plays designed to go three and out.

9 – Go get Josh Gordon. Get some playmakers on that offense other than Fitzgerald and David Johnson.

10 – If they lose at home to Seattle in two weeks, I would be surprised if they weren’t 0-8 at the bye week.

11 – Good to see the special teams sucks so at least something is familiar from the previous years.

12 – This team would get absolutely crushed by the Browns. Think about that for a second.

13 – Hey – at least they were 3-1 in the preseason.

14 – Garoppolo sure gave the Niners a spark last season, so why can’t Rosen do something similar? Different context – I get it – but the notion that a quarterback can change a team is not different.

15 – People will tell you that this is an overreaction. No, it is not. A season is 16 games, so two of them is a not nothing, and how the hell are a team supposed to get that much better that they can compete in just a week? This can go south really quick.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am sooo angry at myself for not betting on the Rams yesterday. I knew this was going to be a blowout but I was too lazy to bother setting up an online account and putting down some $ even if the spread was 14+ points. This was the one game to do it. As much as I hate to say it, the Rams are one of the best in the NFL and the Cardinals are one of the worst. We saw that they cannot stop anyone. The Cardinals are going to suck for a loooong time mostly because of our horrible daft picks the past 6 years (excluding D Johnson, of course). I have no hope for this team. There are no bright spots. We are not a couple of players away from being good. We are the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
2. Aggressive? Look at who the Rams added this offseason to go with Goff, Gurley, Donald, etc. That is aggressive!
7. We have never sucked enough to get the #1 pick. It's a curse to suck just enough to not get it.
9. I would agree with this because we don't have any other options. We need a lottery ticket opportunity.
14. How long did Jimmy G sit and learn? I hope Rosen is the QBOF but not sure he is the type of QB that can be elite. Mahomes and Watson have looked potentially elite IMO. He may need more time to learn and we should probably get our play calling straight.
16. McCoy should be on very thin ice. This has been extremely pathetic and can't continue.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with most of it but the people calling for Rosen to see the field really befuddle me.

Is this because you think Bradford is good or because you don't want to subject Rosen to a trial by fire?

I personally don't think rookies suffer by starting early unless the o-line is a complete disaster and ours actually appears to be pretty solid at pass blocking, but I can see why people are nervous about the idea.

If it is because Bradford might actually be a good QB and hasn't gotten the opportunity to flourish... IMO, that ship sailed several years ago.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is this because you think Bradford is good or because you don't want to subject Rosen to a trial by fire?

I personally don't think rookies suffer by starting early unless the o-line is a complete disaster and ours actually appears to be pretty solid at pass blocking, but I can see why people are nervous about the idea.

If it is because Bradford might actually be a good QB and hasn't gotten the opportunity to flourish... IMO, that ship sailed several years ago.

I think it’s tough for 2 reasons:

1) It’s not a good look for the coaching staff to crumple up their plan after two miserable weeks. All reports were that Bradford easily outperformed Rosen in training camp. Allegedly everyone believed in him.

2) You can’t really go back to the well on this choice. You can always turn to Rosen after the bye week and give him six or seven games to show what he’s capable of. But if this offensive line falls apart due to injury and Rosen starts getting beat up, you can’t go back to Bradford.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We can blame Bradford and lord knows he deserves it but I believe McCoy's game plan is the real cuplrit. He is not using DJ out of the backfield when Bradford historically is check down QB. His game plan lacks initiative and fed into the opponents D these past 2 games. I usually do not call for a coach to be fired but if this keeps up until the Bye week then McCoy needs to go.

At this rate the Cards will be lucky to win 1 game.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
5 – What was Patrick Peterson and Antoine Bethea doing celebrating an interception with some choreographed celebration when they had been destroyed for three quarters at that point? Show some remorse!

This act tells me all I need to know about this team. Disgusting display regardless of the score. This new behavior among others is driving me away from the NFL game.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"McCoy specifically designed plays to go three and out." - comedy gold
This team would get crushed by the Browns, who haven't won a game in two years. Astonishing truth. The Bills too. Does that make us the worst by a mile?

Reminds me of 2012. Wasn't it 32nd rated offense and 32nd rated defense, or something close to?

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have not posted in a long time. Yesterday's game was a total embarrassment.

1. What in the world happened to the 2 OT we had last year. We traded one for chump change and no idea what happened to the other one. The 2 we have now pale compared to the ones last year.

2. The offense scares no one. The wr either have no speed or cannot get any separation.

3. What in the devil happened to the defense? Granted there were some spectacular passes yesterday but the defensive line was pushed around like a group of rag dolls. Last year, this defense was in the top third of defenses. The cb opposite PP is going to have a nightmare about this year for the rest of his life.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
The only hope I have... the only hope...

is that we've mashed together several new components into the 2018 team, and that there's a chance (a chance!) that the components will begin to work together better as the season progresses.

But guys, trust me, I'm not holding my breath.

God I'm so disappointed in how bad we are. We were in the conference championship game just a couple of years ago!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This act tells me all I need to know about this team. Disgusting display regardless of the score. This new behavior among others is driving me away from the NFL game.
This is silly. Football is a game of emotion and confidence...sometimes you have to manufacture it.

and...

No to Josh Gordon.

You don't need to play Rosen until people see he is the better option.

Brandon Williams is still bad. Jamar Taylor does not change that.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The only hope I have... the only hope...

is that we've mashed together several new components into the 2018 team, and that there's a chance (a chance!) that the components will begin to work together better as the season progresses.

But guys, trust me, I'm not holding my breath.

God I'm so disappointed in how bad we are. We were in the conference championship game just a couple of years ago!

It's not really surprising to me though I share your pain. It's not surprising because we were holding an aging unit together to make one last run at that point and we aged out of the window.

The thing is it's like the gas tank was emptying all the way to that point and we did not pay attention to it. Too many draft misses and here we are.

We were sailing on YEARS of drafting high and some good decisions then the good decisions stopped and we sailed on with momentum and then bam we hit the wall and what you see now is the result.

The real culprit is IMO so many draft misses then compounding that with bad coaching decisions in hiring. It's going to end up falling on the GM I'd think but that's just a guess.

First step is to get someone who hits more than they miss, nothing else will fix this long term.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
some very macro reaction:

Mike B takes pride in turning Cardinal reputation and history around. This season is looking like it could be an all time worst for the franchise --- and that is saying something.

AZ Central said it best this AM: Boring and Bad is the worst combination in sports. That is where the team is. Its a terrible combo in this market, where fan support will vanish in a heartbeat.

Keim and Wilks just signed 4 year deals this past offseason. By the end of this season, Mike B will be staring at 3 years left on each --

I am going to guess that Wilks is likely worth around $2.5 mm per year (NFL HC avg is $3.3mm) and Keim is around $4 per year.

So: is Mike B willing to eat nearly $20mm in HC and GM contracts to move this team ahead? I suspect both contracts have offset language -- meaning when Wilks and Keim go get new jobs, the Cards have to make up the difference between the contracts and their new job. so -- it will be less than $20mm, but not $0 either.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
10 – If they lose at home to Seattle in two weeks, I would be surprised if they weren’t 0-8 at the bye week.

Even looking at this logically and with a level head, this team could go 1-15, or even 0-16.

I think they have a chance against the Lions, week 14. The rest of the schedule? I dunno. The numbers speak for themselves with this team and their lack of ability to do......well, anything.

In the pass happy NFL, I am not saying you cannot try and run the ball, and then have a "game manager" type passing game, but 90 yards passing by your starting QB ?

Not going to cut it against anyone in the modern NFL.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If bidwill doesn't want to eat 20mil and keep this failure the future is not bright for this franchise

Actually we have:
The worst head coach in the nfl, Wilks, totally lost
The worse coordinator ever in the nfl, MCoy
The worst defensive coordinator in the Nfl, Holcomb
The worst qb starter in in the Nfl Bradford

We have the worst unit in :
Wr
Tigh end
Linebacker
Defensive line

We have 3 stars (Peterson,DJ, Jones)
An aged star but not anymore a top 10wr, Fitzgerald
Some young players who hadnt show anythimg yet (Rosen,Kirk,Cole,Baker)
Couple of serviceable veterans Bethea,Golden)

The rest, the 85% of the roster is mediocre or very bad

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
some very macro reaction:

Mike B takes pride in turning Cardinal reputation and history around. This season is looking like it could be an all time worst for the franchise --- and that is saying something.

AZ Central said it best this AM: Boring and Bad is the worst combination in sports. That is where the team is. Its a terrible combo in this market, where fan support will vanish in a heartbeat.

Keim and Wilks just signed 4 year deals this past offseason. By the end of this season, Mike B will be staring at 3 years left on each --

I am going to guess that Wilks is likely worth around $2.5 mm per year (NFL HC avg is $3.3mm) and Keim is around $4 per year.

So: is Mike B willing to eat nearly $20mm in HC and GM contracts to move this team ahead? I suspect both contracts have offset language -- meaning when Wilks and Keim go get new jobs, the Cards have to make up the difference between the contracts and their new job. so -- it will be less than $20mm, but not $0 either.

Historically the answer would be no.

I don't honestly think they could afford to do that, but that's just my opinion. I highly doubt that either one will get the same position they have now so the money would be sizeable even if hey have that clause and I don't know they do.

Keim is the that would cost the bulk of that he's not getting another GM job you'd think.

Only the Cardinals could wind up so solidly in this kind of spot it's their special talent.

football karma

Reaction score
Keim is the that would cost the bulk of that he's not getting another GM job you'd think.

he wouldn't get another GM job immediately, but would work in a front office somewhere. If Rod Graves could land another job, so could Keim.

a rough figure to consider: $6.5mm a year is approximately 2,600 club seats (season tix) in the stadium. if after a 2-14 season, you are bringing back everyone responsible -- you lose that easily

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bidwill couldnt cut the ties with Keim with the DUI and tear up the contract?
The dude got just 200.000 dollars fine

football karma

Reaction score
Bidwill couldnt cut the ties with Keim with the DUI and tear up the contract?
The dude got just 200.000 dollars fine

my speculation based on experience:

the dui likely gave Mike B a "termination for cause" on the contract, and, avoiding paying Keim out if they let him go.

but, he would have had to do it in a timely fashion. The moment they let Keim back in the building afterwards, you lose that option.

I have little doubt that there was a written warning delivered to Keim that basically said "any issues going forward and you are gone"

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
my speculation based on experience:

the dui likely gave Mike B a "termination for cause" on the contract, and, avoiding paying Keim out if they let him go.

but, he would have had to do it in a timely fashion. The moment they let Keim back in the building afterwards, you lose that option.

I have little doubt that there was a written warning delivered to Keim that basically said "any issues going forward and you are gone"

So the only chance is if he get caught drunk again?
Its silly to expect some of them resigning?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Here's some food for thought, since 2007 10.9% of teams that started 0-2 have made the playoffs. Since 1980, of a 168 teams that started 0-3 only 5 made the playoffs. An 0-4 start we don't even want to talk bout those.