11-12 playoffs

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF?

Barkley scored 56 with 14 rebounds against the Warriors in the 94 playoffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAdMW4Hi8yI Malone had 50 in 1999 playoffs, Jordan had a few 50's, George Gervin, Bernard King, it goes on and on. http://www.apbr.org/playoffhi.html

I think you are going overboard here and overlooking a lot of better performances.

He's just using a stat that's been in every news story about the game, on ESPN, on every sports radio show, etc:

James became the first player since Wilt Chamberlain in 1964 with at least 45 points, 15 rebounds and five assists in a postseason game. Chamberlain had 50, 15 and six.

It's about the entire stat line and not just points/rebounds.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
WTF?

Barkley scored 56 with 14 rebounds against the Warriors in the 94 playoffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAdMW4Hi8yI Malone had 50 in 1999 playoffs, Jordan had a few 50's, George Gervin, Bernard King, it goes on and on. http://www.apbr.org/playoffhi.html

I think you are going overboard here and overlooking a lot of better performances.

Right. But the LBJ stat line considers points, rebounds, and assists, which correspond with the notion that he is the most complete player the NBA has to offer.

What is being overlooked is how efficient LBJ was shooting the ball. 19-26 (73%). Scoring 45 points is tough as it is, but to do it with only 26 shots is impressive.

There is literally no room to discount James' performance. He was flat out dominate last night.

Last edited:
OP
OP

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
great game by lebron, celtics looked old and tired. their shots were shot a lot of the times last night.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. But the LBJ stat line considers points, rebounds, and assists, which correspond with the notion that he is the most complete player the NBA has to offer.

What is being overlooked is how efficient LBJ was shooting the ball. 19-26 (73%). Scoring 45 points is tough as it is, but to do it with only 26 shots is impressive.

There is literally no room to discount James' performance. He was flat out dominate last night.

and it's not like he got a bunch of easy, open shots. A lot of those shots were midrange jumpers with a hand in his face or turnaround, fadeaway jumpers. For the most part he was well guarded. He was just unbelievable.

Joe

TJ

Reaction score
and it's not like he got a bunch of easy, open shots. A lot of those shots were midrange jumpers with a hand in his face or turnaround, fadeaway jumpers. For the most part he was well guarded. He was just unbelievable.

Joe

After watching the recap, I noticed he rarely had an uncontested basket, unless Paul Pierce was guarding him, who did an abysmal job.

What Boston needs to consider is who they're going to use to guard LeBron one-on-one. Pierce, the ideal choice, has underperformed in that responsibility. KG is too slow. Rondo too small. Ray Allen too stiff (largely due to his injury). Brandon Bass maybe, but the bottom line is LeBron can and will annihilate all of them. 34 ppg average all series with hardly any outlier performances.

The scariest thing for the Celtics is that the Heat blew them out with no one else other than James contributing much, if anything at all. The second best performance was from Bosh, who did a good job of containing KG (and not much else). Wade, once again, disappeared during the first half. If all it takes for the Heat to eviscerate the Celtics is one player going off, imagine what would happen if the Heat get significant contributions from two or more players.

The Heat have to be the overwhelming favorites to win Game 7. The old legs of the Celtics are starting to catch up, the game is in Miami, and maybe (just maybe) Spoelstra and James have finally figured out that James is the most dominate player in this series.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

OT: Sorry, but this just bugs the living crap out of me every time I see it (and I see it a lot on sports boards, unfortunately):

The word you're looking for is "dominant."

You can "dominate," (verb), but when you do, you are "dominant" (adjective).

[/Back to your scheduled discussion]

TJ

Reaction score
OT: Sorry, but this just bugs the living crap out of me every time I see it (and I see it a lot on sports boards, unfortunately):

You can "dominate," (verb), but when you do, you are "dominant" (adjective).

[/Back to your scheduled discussion]

Thanks for pointing that out.

Complete oversight by me. Sleep deprivation along with over-consumption of caffeine can do that to a man.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

You can "dominate," (verb), but when you do, you are "dominant"

Thank god someone else pointed this out. I was about to take a sledgehammer to my monitor.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's just using a stat that's been in every news story about the game, on ESPN, on every sports radio show, etc:

James became the first player since Wilt Chamberlain in 1964 with at least 45 points, 15 rebounds and five assists in a postseason game. Chamberlain had 50, 15 and six.

It's about the entire stat line and not just points/rebounds.

OK, Barkley had 56 Points, 14 rebounds and 4 assists against Golden State.

So it is WAAAAAAAY misleading to be touting this by saying "this is the first time in 48 years that ANYONE has played a game like this."

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, Barkley had 56 Points, 14 rebounds and 4 assists against Golden State.

So it is WAAAAAAAY misleading to be touting this by saying "this is the first time in 48 years that ANYONE has played a game like this."

Yes, it is hyperbolic because yes, Barkley's game was just like that.

However, it was one hell of a game.

And he's still a mega douche that I love to see epic failure from, but that was the kind of performance that actually merits the hype. Even I'm not that much of a hater.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
uh... that was a pretty damn clutch performance by LeBron. We'll see if it's just a blip or the beginning of something for him.

jesus, that guy was a beast tonight.
I tuned in a few times and everytime I noticed BronBron had his mean mug gameface on. It honestly reminded of the Killer Kobe face, after Shaq bounced and folks said he couldn't do it on his own, how he didn't have that Jordan kill gene (they were wrong).

I've seen Lebron fake the mean mug before, like he was just trying to convey intensity but I never bought it before last night. Almost kinda saw it when he was in Cleveland, but the Miami move set him back some IMO.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
What Boston needs to consider is who they're going to use to guard LeBron one-on-one. Pierce, the ideal choice, has underperformed in that responsibility. KG is too slow. Rondo too small. Ray Allen too stiff (largely due to his injury). Brandon Bass maybe, but the bottom line is LeBron can and will annihilate all of them. 34 ppg average all series with hardly any outlier performances.

Pietrus.

TJ

Reaction score

Can't guard him one-on-one. Pietrus' defense is not that good. He's a better flopper than defender.

The only success he's had with LeBron was in Game 4 when he yanked him down in OT and somehow got the officials to call an offensive foul.

Honestly, if Pierce is not efficient on defense, the Celtics are going to have trouble containing LeBron.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Can't guard him one-on-one. Pietrus' defense is not that good. He's a better flopper than defender.

The only success he's had with LeBron was in Game 4 when he yanked him down in OT and somehow got the officials to call an offensive foul.

Honestly, if Pierce is not efficient on defense, the Celtics are going to have trouble containing LeBron.

I'm just saying it's the best option they've got.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that couldn't have been more awesome. Heat/Celtics go a tough seven games, Thunder win and rest, and Celtics lose.

Go Thunder!!!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually don't watch a lot of basketball, but that was fun. Just watched from the 3rd quarter on.

I think I will tune in to the Durant/Lebron face-off.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durant v, Lebron is freakibg awesome. It's like a poor mans BIrd v Magic and I think were going to see it a lot in the next five years

TJ

Reaction score
Durant v, Lebron is freakibg awesome. It's like a poor mans BIrd v Magic and I think were going to see it a lot in the next five years

Agree 100%. This is going to be an exciting series.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not only because I always root for the Western champs in the Finals, but because I don't want to see Miami rewarded for the cullusion of James and Bosh joining Wade . . . go OKC.