“I’d take Ruggs”

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by JosiahLee, Feb 25, 2020.

1. JosiahLee

JosiahLee Registered

I was listening to an interview on ESPN radio today and former NY Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said when asked if he was drafting at #7 or #8 would he take Jeudy or Lamb, without hesitating he said “I’d take Ruggs.”

He went on to explain that if there’s one thing that coaches like Bill Belichick hate, its WR’s with neck-breaking speed...He mentioned Ruggs is like a Tyreek Hill and talked about the big catch he made late in the super bowl to help secure the win.

I just thought it was interesting as everyone is talking about Jeudy and Lamb but no one is really considering Ruggs....

daves and Ohcrap75 like this.
  2. pinetopred

pinetopred Registered

Former for a reason you can't always reach for potential at some point you need guys that have done it at a college level JMO

clif, cardsfanmd, daves and 2 others like this.
  3. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

Same guy who said he wouldnt take Kyler.

clif, Jake6233, daves and 3 others like this.
  4. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

I wouldn't mind if they liked Ruggs over Lamb or Jeudy. I would just be mad if he went 8 instead of in the teens.

5. Ohcrap75

Ohcrap75 Registered

I would take other two right now, but by a very slim margin. I think they are both better suited to be number ones in a vacuum, but Ruggs could actually be more impactful on an offense that already has weapons. Hope that makes some sense?!!

vince56, Finito, daves and 2 others like this.
  6. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

Completely makes sense. Not sure you could say our offense has true weapons though outside of Kyler.

Ohcrap75 likes this.
  7. DVontel

DVontel Registered

I’d take Ruggs before Lamb.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  8. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Me too.

I can't remember which but Allbright or Jeremiah has Ruggs as thier top WR too.

I have nothing against Lamb but I would never draft a Big12 receiver that high.

daves likes this.
  9. Finito

Finito Registered

I’d take Riggs over both Juedy and Lamb. I don’t see big time Star WR when I look at Juedy or Lamb I see two guys who are god but are kind of second tier guys at WR neither is a Fitz, Megatron, Julio or a Moss

but who’s going to be the biggest weapon and game breaker I’d say Ruggs

10. AZCrazy

AZCrazy Registered

The team already has the lil speedster guys and could hardly get them the ball.

clif and Solar7 like this.
  11. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

It's Jeremiah although he really doesn't explain why. He just keeps saying it's a 3 person race not just Jeudy or Lamb, Ruggs is the guy NFL coaches don't want in their division, he just runs by people etc. He makes a passing mention of the lack of production and then goes back to the speed.

I get it, he's blazing fast, state record 100M as a senior in HS, he's not just a track guy like that kid at Auburn looks to be (Ruggs ran a 10.52 in HS, the Auburn kid Swartz(?) ran a 10.09 at Auburn) he is a football player. To me at some point you have to look at production, 46 catches is his career high, they had 4 guys this year who will play in the NFL, he was 3rd in catches and Waddle wasn't that far behind despite playing less.

He's probably going to break the NFL combine record for the 40, he's that fast, he's going to be an NFL Wr and maybe a very good one, but I think if we picked him over Jeudy and Lamb we'd discover immediately there's a reason he wasn't more productive in college, he's just not that polished.

12. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

If we trade back a few spots in the 1st round..... I'm all for looking at Ruggs. His speed is Olympic level.

Cardsfaninlouky and PACardsFan like this.
  13. Finito

Finito Registered

He also played on maybe the best WR core in the history of college with 3 legit 1st round picks.

14. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Just to nitpick, Ruggs is fast but he's not close to Olympic level. To even make the US Olympic trials you have to run a 10.05 or faster in the 100m, Ruggs personal best is 10.52. the fastest college football player is Auburns WR Schwartz, his personal best was 10.15 in HS, he's run sub 10.3 in college and even he hasn't qualified for the US olympic trials, he's probably retiring from track to pursue the NFL. the 2019 NCAA 100m the top 3 finishers all were sub 10 seconds and would have qualified for the Olympic trials(one was Nigerian another was not from the US either).

Ruggs is very fast but not even close to Olympics.

Jake6233 and b8rtm8nn like this.
  15. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ares-for-2020-nfl-draft-forgoes-senior-season

Christian Coleman is the world champion in the 100m dash.
    He ran a 9.76 in 2019 at the World track and field championships last year.
    In 2016 at the NCAA Div 1 Championships he ran a 10.23 placing second.

I think if Ruggs had stuck with it........ He could have easily competed at the Olympic trials. And with 3 to 4 more years under his belt (like Coleman) could be world class.

I'm not saying he's a Usain Bolt level freak....... Just that he has Olympic level speed. Very few can say that.