“I’d take Ruggs”

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was listening to an interview on ESPN radio today and former NY Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said when asked if he was drafting at #7 or #8 would he take Jeudy or Lamb, without hesitating he said “I’d take Ruggs.”

He went on to explain that if there’s one thing that coaches like Bill Belichick hate, its WR’s with neck-breaking speed...He mentioned Ruggs is like a Tyreek Hill and talked about the big catch he made late in the super bowl to help secure the win.

I just thought it was interesting as everyone is talking about Jeudy and Lamb but no one is really considering Ruggs....

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would take other two right now, but by a very slim margin. I think they are both better suited to be number ones in a vacuum, but Ruggs could actually be more impactful on an offense that already has weapons. Hope that makes some sense?!!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take other two right now, but by a very slim margin. I think they are both better suited to be number ones in a vacuum, but Ruggs could actually be more impactful on an offense that already has weapons. Hope that makes some sense?!!

Completely makes sense. Not sure you could say our offense has true weapons though outside of Kyler.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d take Ruggs before Lamb.

Me too.

I can't remember which but Allbright or Jeremiah has Ruggs as thier top WR too.

I have nothing against Lamb but I would never draft a Big12 receiver that high.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d take Riggs over both Juedy and Lamb. I don’t see big time Star WR when I look at Juedy or Lamb I see two guys who are god but are kind of second tier guys at WR neither is a Fitz, Megatron, Julio or a Moss

but who’s going to be the biggest weapon and game breaker I’d say Ruggs

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too.

I can't remember which but Allbright or Jeremiah has Ruggs as thier top WR too.

I have nothing against Lamb but I would never draft a Big12 receiver that high.

It's Jeremiah although he really doesn't explain why. He just keeps saying it's a 3 person race not just Jeudy or Lamb, Ruggs is the guy NFL coaches don't want in their division, he just runs by people etc. He makes a passing mention of the lack of production and then goes back to the speed.

I get it, he's blazing fast, state record 100M as a senior in HS, he's not just a track guy like that kid at Auburn looks to be (Ruggs ran a 10.52 in HS, the Auburn kid Swartz(?) ran a 10.09 at Auburn) he is a football player. To me at some point you have to look at production, 46 catches is his career high, they had 4 guys this year who will play in the NFL, he was 3rd in catches and Waddle wasn't that far behind despite playing less.

He's probably going to break the NFL combine record for the 40, he's that fast, he's going to be an NFL Wr and maybe a very good one, but I think if we picked him over Jeudy and Lamb we'd discover immediately there's a reason he wasn't more productive in college, he's just not that polished.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's Jeremiah although he really doesn't explain why. He just keeps saying it's a 3 person race not just Jeudy or Lamb, Ruggs is the guy NFL coaches don't want in their division, he just runs by people etc. He makes a passing mention of the lack of production and then goes back to the speed.

I get it, he's blazing fast, state record 100M as a senior in HS, he's not just a track guy like that kid at Auburn looks to be (Ruggs ran a 10.52 in HS, the Auburn kid Swartz(?) ran a 10.09 at Auburn) he is a football player. To me at some point you have to look at production, 46 catches is his career high, they had 4 guys this year who will play in the NFL, he was 3rd in catches and Waddle wasn't that far behind despite playing less.

He's probably going to break the NFL combine record for the 40, he's that fast, he's going to be an NFL Wr and maybe a very good one, but I think if we picked him over Jeudy and Lamb we'd discover immediately there's a reason he wasn't more productive in college, he's just not that polished.

He also played on maybe the best WR core in the history of college with 3 legit 1st round picks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we trade back a few spots in the 1st round..... I'm all for looking at Ruggs. His speed is Olympic level.

Just to nitpick, Ruggs is fast but he's not close to Olympic level. To even make the US Olympic trials you have to run a 10.05 or faster in the 100m, Ruggs personal best is 10.52. the fastest college football player is Auburns WR Schwartz, his personal best was 10.15 in HS, he's run sub 10.3 in college and even he hasn't qualified for the US olympic trials, he's probably retiring from track to pursue the NFL. the 2019 NCAA 100m the top 3 finishers all were sub 10 seconds and would have qualified for the Olympic trials(one was Nigerian another was not from the US either).

Ruggs is very fast but not even close to Olympics.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Just to nitpick, Ruggs is fast but he's not close to Olympic level. To even make the US Olympic trials you have to run a 10.05 or faster in the 100m, Ruggs personal best is 10.52. the fastest college football player is Auburns WR Schwartz, his personal best was 10.15 in HS, he's run sub 10.3 in college and even he hasn't qualified for the US olympic trials, he's probably retiring from track to pursue the NFL. the 2019 NCAA 100m the top 3 finishers all were sub 10 seconds and would have qualified for the Olympic trials(one was Nigerian another was not from the US either).

Ruggs is very fast but not even close to Olympics.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ares-for-2020-nfl-draft-forgoes-senior-season

"After clocking an unreal 24.3 miles per hour on a touchdown run against South Carolina, Ruggs' speed is becoming the talk of scouting circles—even if we knew he was fast coming out of high school. He was the state 7A 100-meter champion with a record-breaking speed of 10.58 seconds.

Christian Coleman is the world champion in the 100m dash.
He ran a 9.76 in 2019 at the World track and field championships last year.
In 2016 at the NCAA Div 1 Championships he ran a 10.23 placing second.

I think if Ruggs had stuck with it........ He could have easily competed at the Olympic trials. And with 3 to 4 more years under his belt (like Coleman) could be world class.

I'm not saying he's a Usain Bolt level freak....... Just that he has Olympic level speed. Very few can say that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We have a bunch of slot guys; we need a legit outside receiver to open up the middle of the field. Andy Isabella was also fast, but opponents just jammed him at the LOS and passed him off to a safety when he was out of the play.

I feel like Ruggs is John Ross. :shrug: Okay if you have A.J. Green, but...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a bunch of slot guys; we need a legit outside receiver to open up the middle of the field. Andy Isabella was also fast, but opponents just jammed him at the LOS and passed him off to a safety when he was out of the play.

I feel like Ruggs is John Ross. :shrug: Okay if you have A.J. Green, but...

Ruggs probably played outside more than Jeudy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ares-for-2020-nfl-draft-forgoes-senior-season

Christian Coleman is the world champion in the 100m dash.
He ran a 9.76 in 2019 at the World track and field championships last year.
In 2016 at the NCAA Div 1 Championships he ran a 10.23 placing second.

I think if Ruggs had stuck with it........ He could have easily competed at the Olympic trials. And with 3 to 4 more years under his belt (like Coleman) could be world class.

I'm not saying he's a Usain Bolt level freak....... Just that he has Olympic level speed. Very few can say that.

Yeah but speculating someone could run that much faster if they focused on track IMO is not the same as saying they have Olympic speed, which to me means you could run in the Olympics. Coleman ran a 9.86 in college, he broke the NCAA record. He ran a 10.2 something in HS, he's certainly getting better as he gets older but he's on another level fast than Ruggs.

I have no idea how fast Ruggs could be if he focused on track but the track he did run, his times were nowhere near Olympic trials qualifying let alone actually running in the Olympics.

But to say if he stuck with it he could easily compete at the Olympic Trials is just hard to agree with. Schwartz for example is running track at Auburn too, he's skipped offseason football every year to do it. He ran a 10.09 in HS, and yet he still has not run an Olympic trials qualifying time and he is right there. Ruggs personal best was 10.52 to get to 10.04 that's a huge jump in track.

I just think at times announcers exaggerate that stuff, when you actually see how fast actual Olympic level sprinters are it's stunning. When Bolt set the world record in 09 they estimated between the 60 and 90 meter mark he was going almost 28mph!

Nothing against Ruggs he's insanely fast for a football player, but the Olympic guys are just unreal. The vast majority of them have the same issue, to get that fast you have to do very specific speed training and they all tend to have hamstring problems as a result. Schwartz has had hamstring problems his whole college football career because of sprint training.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ruggs probably played outside more than Jeudy.

Fair enough. I didn't come away form this film feeling very impressed. He struggled to get off the press on the outside, and 2 of his big receptions came out of the slot. Andy Isabella played a lot on the outside at UMass.

I don't think we need another receiver, I think we need a foundational receiver who can dictate coverages.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Fair enough. I didn't come away form this film feeling very impressed. He struggled to get off the press on the outside, and 2 of his big receptions came out of the slot. Andy Isabella played a lot on the outside at UMass.

I don't think we need another receiver, I think we need a foundational receiver who can dictate coverages.
And don't be afraid to go out on a limb
Who do u like?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And don't be afraid to go out on a limb
Who do u like?
A lot for me is going to come down to combine testing because I have a tough time comparing speed on tape because of the discrepancy in talent between conferences.

Guys I am really interested in...

Denzel Mims
Bryan Edwards
Gabriel Davis
Isaiah Hodgins
Justin Jefferson
Van Jefferson
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Michael Pittman
Jalen Raegor