New Luxury Field Level Experiences

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It’s tough if you’re not invested for the day. But if you tailgate and make a day of it, the kids make a nice memory and want to come back.

Weeknight games are an utter catastrophe and are a 10-hour commitment.
Seems to me that attending NFL games in most cities are an all day affair. Soldier Field is a terrible place to get in and out of for example.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Its the awful commute either through Phoenix or around it. Going to a football game represents a 6-8 hour commitment on a Sunday. It's brutal when you have a kid

its the cost of the total failure of local leadership to put the stadium somewhere central

that way, on a monday night or thursday night game -- people arent fighting rush hour to head into the city to go to the game

instead: good luck getting to a 6pm kickoff on a monday night if you live anywhere east of 19th ave if you dont leave 3 hours early

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Seems to me that attending NFL games in most cities are an all day affair. Soldier Field is a terrible place to get in and out of for example.
that will change once they build the new place south of soldier. I believe Kevin Warren has spoken on such topics as more pedestrian walkways for instance to allow for access to the stadium from across LSD

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that will change once they build the new place south of soldier. I believe Kevin Warren has spoken on such topics as more pedestrian walkways for instance to allow for access to the stadium from across LSD
No it won't change at all. That area is way too congested.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Maybe it depends on the game? Kraft changed the game with Gillette being surrounded by other development that's owned by the franchise. Met Life and Levi's Stadium are famously unfriendly (but for different reasons, I think).

Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta is right downtown. City is famously traffic-riddled, but at least it's central. The Braves stadium is 30 minutes outside the city and surrounded by a Main Street USA Disney park of overpriced restaurants and curio shops.

We went to the "Why didn't Rosen play?" Cards-Rams game at the Coliseum a few years back. Getting into and out of anywhere in LA blows (had a $200 Uber from Long Beach), but at least you're at USC.

Facing a 40-minute drive before/after fighting through traffic around the stadium just blows.

its the cost of the total failure of local leadership to put the stadium somewhere central

that way, on a monday night or thursday night game -- people arent fighting rush hour to head into the city to go to the game

instead: good luck getting to a 6pm kickoff on a monday night if you live anywhere east of 19th ave if you dont leave 3 hours early

Agreed, but I think it's a combination of local leadership and Michael being unwilling or unable to compromise on surrounding property and infrastructure. I've lived in Phoenix basically my whole life and I've could count the times I've been in the area south of I-17 and north of Southern on one hand (between like 35th street and 35th avenue). Shoulda been there, probably.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the awful commute either through Phoenix or around it. Going to a football game represents a 6-8 hour commitment on a Sunday. It's brutal when you have a kid
So much this. This is the reason why we dropped our tickets back in the day. We basically had to give up 10 Sundays a year, because we weren't going to go and not tailgate and make a day of it.

It is a big ask when you are trying to be good, attentive parents.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least Solider Field has the subway lines you can get in and out of within about a 1/2 mile. If the PHX Metro area had a 10th of the public transit that Chicago has, it wouldn't be as big of a deal and why putting it near the Light Rail like K9 said is what makes sense IMO.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least Solider Field has the subway lines you can get in and out of within about a 1/2 mile. If the PHX Metro area had a 10th of the public transit that Chicago has, it wouldn't be as big of a deal and why putting it near the Light Rail like K9 said is what makes sense IMO.
That sounds better than it is in real life.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Agreed, but I think it's a combination of local leadership and Michael being unwilling or unable to compromise on surrounding property and infrastructure. I've lived in Phoenix basically my whole life and I've could count the times I've been in the area south of I-17 and north of Southern on one hand (between like 35th street and 35th avenue). Shoulda been there, probably.
Skip Rimza -- the mayor of Phoenix at the time was most certainly not a Cardinal fan -- the kind that actively rooted for them to fail.

I am sure some of this was the result of Bill Bidwil alienating him -- but Skip was also tight with Jerry Colangelo, who considered downtown the province of the Suns and DBacks. The Suns and DBacks were winners and the Cards.... less so. So it was a really easy political position to take.

I think he assumed that the vote to fund the stadium would fail anyway, so he put no effort into a central Phoenix site.

Then it passed, and it was a total scramble -- downtown Phoenix plans were half baked, and the team didnt trust Skip to deliver.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A Stadium without a mass transit stop in front of it or under it should not be allowed.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson