Jonah Williams Welcome To AZ

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
Big fan of this signing. As others mentioned, this gives us hope that we are sticking with getting one of the 3 elite rookie receivers this offense desperately needs.

Adds a solid veteran presence who has played both sides of line and can start day one.

Yes it sucks that humps story as a cardinal ended the way it did, but given the circumstance- solid move to “move” on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Williams responded with a solid season, starting all 17 games while recording a 58.5 PFF grade, good for the 59th-best mark out of 81 eligible players. While he may not ever live up to his top-10 draft status, he has proved he can play on both sides of the line at an adequate level, and this will drive up his value.Feb 2, 2024
You must be registered for see images attach

https://lastwordonsports.com › nfl

Bottom 3rd performance is a “solid season?”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i think this means the team isnt forced to take a tackle with one of the first three picks

at the same time -- if a good one is available at 27 or 35, this doesnt prevent them from taking one
I dunno, that’s a lot of $ to have him be a backup swing tackle. I think writings on the wall, we have our two starting tackles.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I dunno, that’s a lot of $ to have him be a backup swing tackle. I think writings on the wall, we have our two starting tackles.
I wouldn't be entirely against taking a tackle around those picks and moving them to G for a year or two with a long term plan in mind.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to go all @Chopper0080

Uhh you guys are forgetting the sacks that Burrow saves by reading the defense faster and getting rid of the football. And Burrow is very mobile. He's actually stronger than Kyler as well so he'll spin out of plays where Kyler might just take the loss of yards.

Say what you will about DJ, but he was use to Kyler's mobility and style. There is going to be an adjustment.

However, lets not start using Joe Burrow as a reason Williams just wasn't as good the Bengals hoped.
Burrow is a stud but is def not known for getting the ball out quick. It’s actually quite the opposite. He’s known to hold onto it too long and risk injury by waiting for things to develop.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burrow is a stud but is def not known for getting the ball out quick. It’s actually quite the opposite. He’s known to hold onto it too long and risk injury by waiting for things to develop.

First half of last year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How do you know it was soft? I searched "Jonah Williams free agent rumors" and he was linked with the Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, Commanders and Giants before I stopped scrolling. The Cardinals were not mentioned.
Because he signed for two years, $30 million? It’s not super-complicated bro.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he signed for two years, $30 million? It’s not super-complicated bro.
You are the one who said it was "soft". You prove it. I kind of doubt it, because it's officially day 1 today. Tyron Smith is still out there, so his market must soft too? Softer even?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

First half of last year.
I can appreciate the stats backing up your point but you can point stats any which way you want. Cincinnati was terrible the first half of last year because everyone knew they had to rush getting the ball out because burrow was playing hurt and could not move. I’m not referencing last year or even the last three. He’s consistently held on to the ball too long for coaches’ comfort since LSU. It’s part of what makes him great. It’s also what gets him banged up though and sacked at a high rate. Dude has a huge set.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think there's a real good chance we draft a tackle prospect at 27 and start him at LG next year. Let him battle it out with Williams in 2025.

I'd love a more plausible explanation for why Williams' market was so soft that doesn't have to do with him being exceptionally mid.
A couple notes on Williams.

He has played both. We will find out at training camp. Probably not worth arguing about because it could go either way.

In terms of talent...not as good a DJ. But not a huge downgrade.

Market might have been light if he was demanding to play LT, or 15 mil to play RT. Also, great year for RTs in the draft. So I can buy a soft market for an average guy.

Hopefully Cards explore Amagadjie and/or Suamataia.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate the stats backing up your point but you can point stats any which way you want. Cincinnati was terrible the first half of last year because everyone knew they had to rush getting the ball out because burrow was playing hurt and could not move. I’m not referencing last year or even the last three. He’s consistently held on to the ball too long for coaches’ comfort since LSU. It’s part of what makes him great. It’s also what gets him banged up though and sacked at a high rate. Dude has a huge set.
It's not point, i never mentioned jt. I was just curious after you mentioned he was slow. He is an absolute statue, so it makes sense he has a quick release.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Think you guys should less focus on Burrow/Kyler’s pocket presence & more so the scheme Jonah played in. I’m eager to figure out how many times Cinci lined up 10 & 11 personnel since Burrow’s arrival cause I feel like Cincy has to be top 5 in that hence Jonah’s struggles.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You are the one who said it was "soft". You prove it. I kind of doubt it, because it's officially day 1 today. Tyron Smith is still out there, so his market must soft too? Softer even?
We’ll see what Smith signs for. I imagine it’s soft for him also due to age and injury concerns.

My evidence for the market being soft is he was signed for less than four guards with less impressive resumes.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Not to go all @Chopper0080

Uhh you guys are forgetting the sacks that Burrow saves by reading the defense faster and getting rid of the football. And Burrow is very mobile. He's actually stronger than Kyler as well so he'll spin out of plays where Kyler might just take the loss of yards.

Say what you will about DJ, but he was use to Kyler's mobility and style. There is going to be an adjustment.

However, lets not start using Joe Burrow as a reason Williams just wasn't as good the Bengals hoped.

You too Brutus? :)

Guess which of the two following 2023 QB rating belongs to Super Star, First Ballot Hall of Famer, who secretly fights crime while he's not leading CIN to superbowls, Joe Burrow, and which one belongs to Sad Sack, Full on Bust, and huge supporter of Daylight Savings Time, Kyler Murray?

and

???

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ll more more hopeful than not here with this signing. Our Line coaches did a pretty good job with what most of us thought was going to be a super motley crew last year.

If they can get this guy to be a healthy push with last year’s DJ, the line should be as good as last year (where I thought they were pretty good anyway) and probably should be better because I expect Johnson to develop more in his second year.

Also takes the foot off the throat as far T in the draft is concerned.
Il agree with this. He was a top pick. So the raw athleticism or tools are likely somewhere there. If our coaches are as successful with him as they were with our cast of misfits this may be a hit.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
You do know that DJ is injured? It might be a wash if DJ were healthy, but unfortunately he's not. Also, haven't seen when he'll be able to play. Or am I just responding to a 'troll'?
I was talking about ability / talent wise it being a wash. Actually might be a slight downgrade from that perspective but hope I'm wrong.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Played in a tough division. Seems not to be injury or penalty-prone. The Bengals iirc ran a lot of plays downfield and thus asked him to block longer. Kyler is much quicker than Burrow and should avoid some of those sacks. Young and probably still improving. Not a huge cap hit and just two years. Maybe the best option with this sort of mix of variables.

If monti seems to have a type, it's getting guys who can run block, maybe that's his strength?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ll see what Smith signs for. I imagine it’s soft for him also due to age and injury concerns.

My evidence for the market being soft is he was signed for less than four guards with less impressive resumes.
That's reasonable. I never thought we would land A list talent in free agency anyhow. I am mildly surprised we signed this guy.

I do think it was a down year for offensive lineman in free agency. Overall.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn