Jonah Williams Welcome To AZ

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My POINT was that it didn't make any sense to me. I would have been happy to have a healthy DJ returning, but that wasn't meant to be. We are NOW in a position to have a decent OL, and one that is better than what our OL was last year. I base that on the unit having a year's experience playing together. And in the case of PJ and Fro, just having more experience. Can't understand why you think he can't respond, so that you have to step in. I guess that is pretty obvious, come to think about it.

Last year, our OL was described as a mess, and, imo, this year it's not.
Btw I agree with your sentiment that we should see an improved line this year. Haven’t been a hump fan for awhile. Hopefully the LG is upgraded. And yes all three of the rest having another year together should create greater cohesion n

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of Bengals games and have many Bengals fans for friends. I like this signing and had mentioned earlier that he should be a target. Easily the best Monti has signed.
That being said, he definitely needs to play on the right side. He's a much better RT than LT. Moving Paris to LT is the correct move and justifies his selection in the top 10.
This could be a win/win if they play him at RT. I think he'll be a better RT than Paris was and Paris will be, eventually, a better LT than Hump. And, I'm one of the few Hump fans around here.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of Bengals games and have many Bengals fans for friends. I like this signing and had mentioned earlier that he should be a target. Easily the best Monti has signed.
That being said, he definitely needs to play on the right side. He's a much better RT than LT. Moving Paris to LT is the correct move and justifies his selection in the top 10.
This could be a win/win if they play him at RT. I think he'll be a better RT than Paris was and Paris will be, eventually, a better LT than Hump. And, I'm one of the few Hump fans around here.
1) You did recommend Jonah. I remember know.
2) My neighbor is a Bengal fan and he said he is Jonah is better on the right too.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the qualitative arguments you're making here:

Williams is better at RT
Moving Paris to LT is the correct move and justifies his top 10 selection
PJJ will eventually be better than Hump at LT (although not a quantum leap better)

I don't agree with the predictive parts of it. I don't understand how or why Williams signs this deal unless he has a promise to rebuild his value at LT at least for Year 1.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There Is a guard or tackle in the draft that can be day 1 starter in our lineup at LG?
a couple I think.
since williams contract is short a guy like Fuaga could be the pick. can start right away at guard but may have the versatility to switch to OT in a couple seasons.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
There Is a guard or tackle in the draft that can be day 1 starter in our lineup at LG?
There are some very good guards in the draft and could be in play at 27. A couple day 2 guys I like are Cooper Beebe from K-st and Zach Zinter from Michigan. Zinter won't be a day 1 starter because he tore his knee up against OSU. But, he's an absolute stud and would likely have been a 1st round pick. He'd be worth the wait for his recovery if you could nab him in, say, round 3.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone know the state of Cardinals analytics?

I feel like all our FA signings have an analytics elements to them, searching for diamonds in the rough.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I feel like all our FA signings have an analytics elements to them, searching for diamonds in the rough.

Didnt they pay enough guarantee salaries for being diamond in the rough?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

They don't have anyone above manager level right now, and I think Charlie Adkins is a holdover from the Keim regime. Analytics Assistant Joe Andruzzi is a former New England player from Monti's time with the team (I think).

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the OL was pretty good last year. The LG position was a mess, but overall I thought we'd seen the best OL play in 2023 that we've seen in some time. :shrug:
They definitely improved as the year progressed. I was super down on them to start the season. But left the season thinking they are 1 or 2 guys away from potentially being one of the best. The oline coach did a great job, especially with Frojholdt.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the qualitative arguments you're making here:

Williams is better at RT
Moving Paris to LT is the correct move and justifies his top 10 selection
PJJ will eventually be better than Hump at LT (although not a quantum leap better)

I don't agree with the predictive parts of it. I don't understand how or why Williams signs this deal unless he has a promise to rebuild his value at LT at least for Year 1.
Maybe we're the only ones to offer a shot at it. Maybe Monti said something to the effect that PJJ did fine at RT and hasn't made the switch yet and if you can beat out a 2nd-year guy, it's yours.

Or maybe Jonah's stance has changed. Last year before he made the switch, he balked and asked for a trade. Now that he has a season under his belt at RT, and some say he had his best season, he's fine with it.

Or maybe none of that. Just throwing stuff out there.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this signing!

As painful as it was to see Hump released it was the right thing to do. Obviously releasing Hump left a huge hole at OT. No way was I comfortable starting the season with Beachum as the starter.

Williams is a proven starter who is only 26 years old. So he is just entering the prime of his career. I feel a lot better now knowing that the Cardinals will now begin the season with two solid starters bookending the OL.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Maybe we're the only ones to offer a shot at it. Maybe Monti said something to the effect that PJJ did fine at RT and hasn't made the switch yet and if you can beat out a 2nd-year guy, it's yours.

Or maybe Jonah's stance has changed. Last year before he made the switch, he balked and asked for a trade. Now that he has a season under his belt at RT, and some say he had his best season, he's fine with it.

Or maybe none of that. Just throwing stuff out there.
Pure conjecture on my part but I wonder if JG wanted to make sure that Williams bought into the 'team first' mantra before they pulled the trigger. Of course, coaches couldn't talk to free agents until yesterday afternoon.

I don't want Williams at LT.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pure conjecture on my part but I wonder if JG wanted to make sure that Williams bought into the 'team first' mantra before they pulled the trigger. Of course, coaches couldn't talk to free agents until yesterday afternoon.

I don't want Williams at LT.
Like if you're all in for the team then you'll play where we put you, right?

Gives the coaching staff options

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
a couple I think.
since williams contract is short a guy like Fuaga could be the pick. can start right away at guard but may have the versatility to switch to OT in a couple seasons.
Fuatanu as well, but it seems both are long gone by 27

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson