To me...Monti pulled a ...

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kevin Costner in draft day! Kudos to him!! We've never had a GM make these kind of moves!! I'm on the fence with the late round pick, but they are always a crapshoot. We got our guy and a TON of picks next year. I for 1 am impressed!
Very well said and engorging to see so many fans agreeing with you.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree, he did a great job acquiring picks for next year. However, the picks he actually did make were questionable. He can have a million picks next year but if he fails to select the best talent, it may be all for not.
Only time will tell but I agree with Harry that there were a lot of missed opportunities. He could have hit it out of the pack but whiffed more often than not.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He did well trading for picks but his picks to me were so so. Mainly because there were better players that were needed. Even Steve Keim was a master at trading for players but couldn’t find a way to keep our young players from leaving.
Imo some of it is the newness... Monti doesnt trust our scouts fully. But his own history is in churning the bottom of the roster and finding diamonds in the rough.
I think we saw that in this draft with him stockpiling late round picks... got him in there with guys he was more comfortable with because he had probably scouted them on his own already.
I mean hell, you can probably use pff grades for the first 4 rounds and do as well as any gm in the league... but it takes a descerning eye to find quality in the late rounds.
But by next years draft he will have his own process in place and brought in some scouts he knows...and we are loaded for bear

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Imo some of it is the newness... Monti doesnt trust our scouts fully. But his own history is in churning the bottom of the roster and finding diamonds in the rough.
I think we saw that in this draft with him stockpiling late round picks... got him in there with guys he was more comfortable with because he had probably scouted them on his own already.
I mean hell, you can probably use pff grades for the first 4 rounds and do as well as any gm in the league... but it takes a descerning eye to find quality in the late rounds.
But by next years draft he will have his own process in place and brought in some scouts he knows...and we are loaded for bear
Most of the picks are either under sized or have an injury history, still they are showing speed and character especially on defense. You can tell they want this defense to be quick to the ball.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He did well trading for picks but his picks to me were so so. Mainly because there were better players that were needed. Even Steve Keim was a master at trading for players but couldn’t find a way to keep our young players from leaving.
And you knew there were better players for the Arizona Cardinals? And how is that? MO & JG have said multiple times that they would pursue players that were best for the AZ Cardinals. I trust that is exactly what they attempted to do with this draft. Reversing the losing culture has to start with attitude & what we saw this weekend was a combination of upgrading our talent and changing attitudes. Cannot fix it with one draft, but it was no doubt a great start, especially when you consider how MO set us up for the 2024 draft.

Reaction score
At the post Draft conference Monti talked as if he did trust the people in the draft room.

I think Assistant GM Sears had a big influence on our pics.

Any body can make a video showing how great a football player they are showing just the pluses not the minuses. However if you watch videos of these guys all day like I have you get the impression that they have the skills and Monti believes the work ethic and character to pull off some semblance of success.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals improved the OL. They added a top prospect in Paris Johnson Jr and a good C/G prospect in Jon Gaines.

The CB room is deeper. Garrett Williams was one of my favorite late day two guys. He's twitchy and makes plays on the ball. Clark looks to be a real good nickelback prospect. Both are quick and instinctive.

They added two guys who can rush the passer. Ojulari was among the best college pass rusher last year. He's young, has good length, pass rush moves, and has good measureables. Stills is an inside rusher who fits the 3 tech or 5 tech mold. Stills is a sub package guy who should stick.

Clayton Tune is the first legit mid to late round QB prospect the Cardinals have added in ages. I like his chances to beat out Blough. He could be a cheaper, long term backup.

My least favorite pick is Michael Wilson, but even he offers some tantalizing tools. In a WR weak class, Wilson offers good route running, size, and competitive drive.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the picks and I like the trades.

Its funny because people seem most displeased with the rounds 2-4 picks and I think in 6 months time they will be the guys were most pleased with.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
After watching Monti work the draft for more picks, I don’t ever recall Kiem even attempting to do this.
Monti is strategic. Keim rarely thought beyond the current season. Good teams like Philly and Baltimore and Geen Bay do. 2023 will start our trajectory to a better place IMO. A lot of our future progress will be dependent on Kyler Murray.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lots of differentt hings to like about this draft class.

I like taking the QB in round 5. Kyler has been in the league long enough that you can draft a young QB to develop. Also like that Tune is experienced and tough. Key tools for a backup.

I like Wilson. He gives us a legit outside WR with size. Also, he can separate which is key for Kyler.

Upgrading OL and pass rush are always good.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
And you knew there were better players for the Arizona Cardinals? And how is that? MO & JG have said multiple times that they would pursue players that were best for the AZ Cardinals. I trust that is exactly what they attempted to do with this draft. Reversing the losing culture has to start with attitude & what we saw this weekend was a combination of upgrading our talent and changing attitudes. Cannot fix it with one draft, but it was no doubt a great start, especially when you consider how MO set us up for the 2024 draft.
First round I wanted Will Anderson so we could have a decent passrush.
Instead we got a good OT prospect that has only one year of experience at tackle so like DJ Humphries will take a couple years to develop.

Second round we took Ojulari a tweener DE prospect that is 6-2 248 and is more of a situational pass rusher. The best center and the most Dominating guard prospects were still on the board in Schmitz and Torrence. I would have taken either over Ojulari.

I’m not saying that we got bad picks but we had some glaring weaknesses on both lines and CB that I would have taken care of first. We did set ourselves up good for next year’s draft.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are set up really nice for next years draft
That is my take. Not that thrilled with our picks this year but we are in incredible shape for next year. Very possible we have two top five picks. If we are ok with KM and have one of the top two picks can you imagine what we could get for the pick with next years QB class. Mind boggling to think about the talent we could accumulate with our selections.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is my take. Not that thrilled with our picks this year but we are in incredible shape for next year. Very possible we have two top five picks. If we are ok with KM and have one of the top two picks can you imagine what we could get for the pick with next years QB class. Mind boggling to think about the talent we could accumulate with our selections.
I wouldn't hesitate a moment to pick another QB

Don't care whether KM likes it or not

It's a business and how many opportunities do you get to draft that high with 2 good QB'S at the top?

Reactions: PJ1

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree with Badger's take. And, I'll try using military terms to state my case.
"Monti was a Man With A Plan". He knows that there is no way in hell that we'll be a good team this year, so General Ossenfort is introducing, Operation 24. And, by that I mean he is targeting 2024 as the season when the team will have a reasonable chance to be competitive. We all know (as does the National Media) what a fantastic job, especially, considering this was HIS first draft, in accumulating draft capital for next year. Of course, NONE of us know how good the players will eventually be in the NFL. But he did give us some idea about his plan going forward.

On Offense, he will build around Kyler Murray. And whether you like him or not, his contract will keep him in Arizona. To that end:
*Build up the OL.
*MO has a better idea than we do when KM will be on the field, and I'm guessing it won't be early in the season, with the drafting of a QB. Further evidence that 2024 is the target year.
*So while fans are concerned that our two 3rd round picks are coming off injuries, MO sees them as possible redshirts, and feels that when healthy that they are two potential starters.
*Some say that by moving Gaines from guard to center might get Kyler killed. MO says that when/if Gaines is playing center KM probably won't be the QB.
*At any rate he will have all of 2023 to see what he has or doesn't have on the offensive side of the ball.
*DHop will be traded, at some point, unless the unimaginable happens and the team is better than expected. But whenever it happens, before, during or after the season, DHop will leave and we'll have $$$ for FA in the next offseason.

On Defense:
*We keep Buda, re-do his contract and make him the Defensive Face of the Franchise.
*HC, JG will have OTA's, TC and the Regular Season to see where we are the weakest, compile a Wish List and turn it over to General Ossenfort.

Special Teams:
Seems that many of our FA signings were made with ST in mind. And the Auburn LB that we drafted should help there as well. Not sure if Dortch will be our 'returner', but feel that even this year our kick coverage teams will be pretty good.

Bottom line:
Have no idea how good a HC JG will be, but am hopeful. And that includes the staff he's assembled. MO seems to have a Plan in place, but in large part it will depend on how his picks turn out. I don't know about the scouting department. Were they new or from the SK regime? One thing I am sure about is that I feel MUCH BETTER about the team, than I did a week ago.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First round I wanted Will Anderson so we could have a decent passrush.
Instead we got a good OT prospect that has only one year of experience at tackle so like DJ Humphries will take a couple years to develop.

Second round we took Ojulari a tweener DE prospect that is 6-2 248 and is more of a situational pass rusher. The best center and the most Dominating guard prospects were still on the board in Schmitz and Torrence. I would have taken either over Ojulari.

I’m not saying that we got bad picks but we had some glaring weaknesses on both lines and CB that I would have taken care of first. We did set ourselves up good for next year’s draft.

FYI: Will Anderson is also a 'prospect.'

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It would be too good to be true for Cards and Texans to both finish '23 season with the worst records. That would produce a monumental draft with Cards taking Larry Fitzgerald 2, in the form of the 6'4", 205 lb. Marvin Harrison, Jr and then having the possibility of trading to a QB needy team who wants to move up and take the USC QB Caleb Williams. Or for some reason Kyler goes totally down and out, we will have our next QB sitting there for us.

If only wishes were horses, then .....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson