That’s Why You Fire Kliff

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like our game isn't bad enough we go out for a few hours come back and my cable is out and now Xfinity tells me either I need a new box or they have to reset the signal outside. So I miss almost the entire Warriors loss to Detroit!

My take on this, we are a boat that leaks and everytime we fix a leak, another one pops up somewhere else. Kliff is not the entire problem obviously but I don't get why people keep saying it's not all him as if that's a defense, he's never won consistently at ANY level as a coach? We never look prepared, we make so many stupid mistakes. As I said a few weeks ago we're clearly not going to bench Murray so if Kliff can't get him to play better, he should be fired or at least have some changes.

I don't know if Kyler is hurt or not, on the one hand I hope not, on the other if he is and Colt has to play a few weeks and Colt comes in that's Kliff's best chance IMO to keep his job, if the offense looks better without Kyler then you know that's the problem. I just doubt it.

Today was horrible, penalty on the first play, I've been calling for more McBride but today he was awful, penalties, missed blocks etc. Why are our high draft picks so unready to play every year? Simmons and Collins finally seem to be figuring it out but why does it take so long? Why did we go into a season relying on 2 OL's who want to retire? Why is AJ Green collecting a paycheck? It just keeps snowballing, horrible first INT by Kyler he had a dumpoff to Eno. Eno with a HUGE drop on a screen that's big yards right in his hands, doesn't reach for the first down on 4th down, made some terrible reads on run plays where he seemed to miss obvious holes etc. Even D Hop by far our best offensive player, had a big drop. Rondale played a great game but had a drop. The OL is down 3 starters and after looking so good run blocking last week couldn't run block at all today.

And Kyler just HAS to play better. That first pick was totally his fault, has Eno open short forces it deep. the 2nd one I tend to agree with Schlereth it was communication issue if you look on replay Harrison Smith is behind and to the left of Ertz where Ertz is cutting. I get what Ertz thinks if I cut left and go BY Smith I'm open, and he's right, the problem is Murray is throwing the ball assuming one thing and Ertz is doing something else. Later drive exact same play he went upfield and Murray threaded it perfectly.

EVerytime we need a big stop Cousins runs for a TD or Hamilton doesn't see the ball coming to Jefferson or we have Cousins but can't get him down etc.

Just a bad team. We're in a bad division of course but Seattle is 5-3 and I don't think they have any better talent than we do, they just execute better, they don't beat themselves.

Such a frustrating year after the start last year the wheels have fallen off.

if I'm in charge I fire Kliff because I don't believe he can fix it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who were the starting five on our oline today?

Jones, Ford, Price, Hernandez and Beachum?

F that man. We're not winning anything with those five guys starting each week.

For the love of God, build the freaking oline this offseason.
People are stumping for four of the five to be our starters next season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand it's really easy to blame the coach. Nobody has Kliff Kingsbury shirts, Kliff posters on their wall or Kliff lock screen pictures.

So it's easy to imagine a world where you fire Kliff and your favorite player that is sucking suddenly gets better and everything is good. But it's fantasy land.

Kliff isn't perfect, he's far from it. He's screen game is infuriating. His chronic misuse of Rondale Moore is similar to how he ruined Kirk until his last year with us. There is a lack of motion. A lack of play action. RPO's that were a staple of the offense have all but vanished this year. But as annoying as these things can be they aren't why we are losing.

Some of it is roster construction. Particularly Edge rusher. Letting Chandler go was not the problem, both rookies have more sacks and pressures than Chandler Jones playing a 10th of the snaps. The problem was not replacing him sooner. I called for him to be traded before last season but they should have drafted a rusher last year or signed a vet this year. Even if it was just 1 year of Justin Houston.

But mainly it's been players playing well below par and just not doing the basic things right. Things that coaches shouldn't even need to touch on because it's just basic stuff.

Most of that is on Kyler as discussed at length. You just can't be good with a QB playing poorly. Look at Tampa or Green Bay. And while Nuk has certainly improved things he's just papering over the cracks that are there. It's not just Kyler. Beachum has been poor. Green is a corpse. Hudson hasn't been great. The whole running back room has been hot and cold, mainly cold. Special teams are meh. Both Zaven and Simmons have games where they flash and games where they vanish. Golden looks like he retired already.

The only guys I can really say I'm comfortable with are the 5 starting DB's, Allen, Watt, Hernandez, Hump, Nuk and Brown before he was hurt. Everyone else needs to step up their game.

Injuries are playing a big role too. It's not unreasonable to say that we win yesterday if we have Conner, Pugh, Hudson and Hollywood.

Do I think this team plays better with a different HC? Not in the slightest.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the Cards are not a good team.

Looked shaky in all three phases of the game yesterday.

I agree with you. To me, it looked like yesterday the better team won. What I wonder is does MIN have more talent team-wide than we do? Or are they just better coached?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I understand it's really easy to blame the coach. Nobody has Kliff Kingsbury shirts, Kliff posters on their wall or Kliff lock screen pictures.

So it's easy to imagine a world where you fire Kliff and your favorite player that is sucking suddenly gets better and everything is good. But it's fantasy land.

Kliff isn't perfect, he's far from it. He's screen game is infuriating. His chronic misuse of Rondale Moore is similar to how he ruined Kirk until his last year with us. There is a lack of motion. A lack of play action. RPO's that were a staple of the offense have all but vanished this year. But as annoying as these things can be they aren't why we are losing.

Some of it is roster construction. Particularly Edge rusher. Letting Chandler go was not the problem, both rookies have more sacks and pressures than Chandler Jones playing a 10th of the snaps. The problem was not replacing him sooner. I called for him to be traded before last season but they should have drafted a rusher last year or signed a vet this year. Even if it was just 1 year of Justin Houston.

But mainly it's been players playing well below par and just not doing the basic things right. Things that coaches shouldn't even need to touch on because it's just basic stuff.

Most of that is on Kyler as discussed at length. You just can't be good with a QB playing poorly. Look at Tampa or Green Bay. And while Nuk has certainly improved things he's just papering over the cracks that are there. It's not just Kyler. Beachum has been poor. Green is a corpse. Hudson hasn't been great. The whole running back room has been hot and cold, mainly cold. Special teams are meh. Both Zaven and Simmons have games where they flash and games where they vanish. Golden looks like he retired already.

The only guys I can really say I'm comfortable with are the 5 starting DB's, Allen, Watt, Hernandez, Hump, Nuk and Brown before he was hurt. Everyone else needs to step up their game.

Injuries are playing a big role too. It's not unreasonable to say that we win yesterday if we have Conner, Pugh, Hudson and Hollywood.

Do I think this team plays better with a different HC? Not in the slightest.
Before the season started, who would you rather have as a HC, Matt Ruhle (Sp?) or Steve Wilks?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looked shaky in all three phases of the game yesterday.

I agree with you. To me, it looked like yesterday the better team won. What I wonder is does MIN have more talent team-wide than we do? Or are they just better coached?
I think they are better coached. KK is not a good coach. Coaching definitely makes a difference.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bidwill is not going to fire KK during the season. However, I can't see MB keeping him if they really end up with a losing record. HBO's Hard Knocks might really expose how bad the coaching really is. Going to be very interesting.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Before the season started, who would you rather have as a HC, Matt Ruhle (Sp?) or Steve Wilks?

If they were the last 2 coaches in the world and I had to choose one? Rhule.

I'd still choose Rhule. He got caught down a rabbit hole with the Panthers and couldn't get out. He was set up to fail with the merry go round of starting QB's.

But from a coaching knowledge perspective I'd still take Rhule. Wilks is just enjoying a coaching change bounce.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Trotter had a great quote about the Cardinals today and it all points to the HC:

Oftentimes they look like a team whose players and coaches are meeting for the first time.

And of course this gem:

The Cardinals just can't get it right. Even things beyond their control are going against them, such as a commercial for the video game Call of Duty running during the game. It featured football players apologizing to their head coach after not getting sleep because they were playing the game through the night. The issue in Arizona is not talent. From a distance, the Cardinals are a group of capable players who don't play well together, particularly on offense. Is it culture? Is it a head coach who appears to be feeling the heat beneath his seat? When the players have to tell the coach to "calm the f--- down" during a game, as Murray did to Kliff Kingsbury two weeks ago, it's an issue. The coach is supposed to be the calming presence for the players.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have a question about practices? Do they ever really practice? Or is it just walk thrus in helmets and shorts (play practices?). And what is a vets day off? Maybe I'm missing something here, but no wonder they are never prepared.

Do other teams "practice" like w do? Have play practices? Or do they actually practice?
I don't know, I guess I'm slowly becoming a dark sider? Heaven forbid (I will try to turn that around).

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have a question about practices? Do they ever really practice? Or is it just walk thrus in helmets and shorts (play practices?). And what is a vets day off? Maybe I'm missing something here, but no wonder they are never prepared.

Do other teams "practice" like w do? Have play practices? Or do they actually practice?
I don't know, I guess I'm slowly becoming a dark sider? Heaven forbid (I will try to turn that around).
Lol the players union would be suing if these kids had to actually practice like back in the old days. I'm guessing that's also why the coaches are getting younger and younger: football knowledge and cutting your teeth in the game isn't nearly as important as relating to these young players.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From a distance, the Cardinals are a group of capable players who don't play well together, particularly on offense. Is it culture?

This is over complicating it. It's basically the exact same players as last year when the offense was good. Swap Kirk for Hollywood and Hernandez for Josh Jones and the starting line up is identical. Save for injuries.

The simple answer is Kyler play bad. Offense play bad. I'm not anti Kyler. I want him to succeed. He has to succeed for us to have any chance of not sucking. But it's just a fact.

I might be wrong but from watching the TV coverage I get the feeling that on his horrible first INT the ALL 22 is going to show a wide open Deandre Hopkins.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bidwill is not going to fire KK during the season. However, I can't see MB keeping him if they really end up with a losing record. HBO's Hard Knocks might really expose how bad the coaching really is. Going to be very interesting.
I can’t wait for Hardknocks… hopefully it isn’t too edited so it answers some questions for the fan base

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If they were the last 2 coaches in the world and I had to choose one? Rhule.

I'd still choose Rhule. He got caught down a rabbit hole with the Panthers and couldn't get out. He was set up to fail with the merry go round of starting QB's.

But from a coaching knowledge perspective I'd still take Rhule. Wilks is just enjoying a coaching change bounce.
So if Arizona changes coaches, I guess we should expect a bounce.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson