That’s Why You Fire Kliff

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I understand it's really easy to blame the coach. Nobody has Kliff Kingsbury shirts, Kliff posters on their wall or Kliff lock screen pictures.

So it's easy to imagine a world where you fire Kliff and your favorite player that is sucking suddenly gets better and everything is good. But it's fantasy land.

Kliff isn't perfect, he's far from it. He's screen game is infuriating. His chronic misuse of Rondale Moore is similar to how he ruined Kirk until his last year with us. There is a lack of motion. A lack of play action. RPO's that were a staple of the offense have all but vanished this year. But as annoying as these things can be they aren't why we are losing.

Some of it is roster construction. Particularly Edge rusher. Letting Chandler go was not the problem, both rookies have more sacks and pressures than Chandler Jones playing a 10th of the snaps. The problem was not replacing him sooner. I called for him to be traded before last season but they should have drafted a rusher last year or signed a vet this year. Even if it was just 1 year of Justin Houston.

But mainly it's been players playing well below par and just not doing the basic things right. Things that coaches shouldn't even need to touch on because it's just basic stuff.

Most of that is on Kyler as discussed at length. You just can't be good with a QB playing poorly. Look at Tampa or Green Bay. And while Nuk has certainly improved things he's just papering over the cracks that are there. It's not just Kyler. Beachum has been poor. Green is a corpse. Hudson hasn't been great. The whole running back room has been hot and cold, mainly cold. Special teams are meh. Both Zaven and Simmons have games where they flash and games where they vanish. Golden looks like he retired already.

The only guys I can really say I'm comfortable with are the 5 starting DB's, Allen, Watt, Hernandez, Hump, Nuk and Brown before he was hurt. Everyone else needs to step up their game.

Injuries are playing a big role too. It's not unreasonable to say that we win yesterday if we have Conner, Pugh, Hudson and Hollywood.

Do I think this team plays better with a different HC? Not in the slightest.
Couldn’t disagree with letting kliff off the hook more. The fact that you can list all that you did as his issues and completely absolve him of what’s been produced - AS THE HEAD COACH OF THE MESS, you know, the guy who is supposed to get the most out of his players, maximize their ability, etc.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Looked shaky in all three phases of the game yesterday.

I agree with you. To me, it looked like yesterday the better team won. What I wonder is does MIN have more talent team-wide than we do? Or are they just better coached?
We just make way too many dumb mistakes to win more often that not unless our offense is humming.

But none of that is on the coaching apparently.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Do you think 7-10 will secure his job for another year? I think this is about where we end up this season. We probably could have been 9-8, but I don't think we are better than that this year. More than the record, what bothers me is that we just don't look good in games. We are a very disjointed, awkward, flaky team. We don't instill fear or respect into any of our opponents. We need consistency, more concentration by our players, much better tackling fundamentals, and a much stronger presence up front on both O and D. I really don't know how much blame we should continue putting on KK. I do know that with both him and Keim at the same time, we have one two many screws loose for any team to be tight and efficient.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This seems timely.......

Posting this everywhere I see fit. <-- Wasn't joking

Warning, some NSFW language in the audio.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Do you think that other teams don't sometimes not get the play in on time if teams are playing hurry up offense?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is over complicating it. It's basically the exact same players as last year when the offense was good. Swap Kirk for Hollywood and Hernandez for Josh Jones and the starting line up is identical. Save for injuries.

The simple answer is Kyler play bad. Offense play bad. I'm not anti Kyler. I want him to succeed. He has to succeed for us to have any chance of not sucking. But it's just a fact.

I might be wrong but from watching the TV coverage I get the feeling that on his horrible first INT the ALL 22 is going to show a wide open Deandre Hopkins.

We are not talking about a Rookie HC working with a Rookie QB all while installing a brand new offense here.

That's the Problem. It's year 4 and things are getting worse with simple game management issues. The HC is responsible for ensuring this team is ready to play. Clearly this team isn't ready to play and looks absolutely dysfunctional.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
I don't see this ending well with Kyler and Kliff combo.

One day the talk will be what terrible hire and then Kyler most overpaid/ overated quarterback.

Sad for cards fans

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are not talking about a Rookie HC working with a Rookie QB all while installing a brand new offense here.

That's the Problem. It's year 4 and things are getting worse with simple game management issues. The HC is responsible for ensuring this team is ready to play. Clearly this team isn't ready to play and looks absolutely dysfunctional.

I just don't know what any HC can do when your QB is playing bad football.

Has Matt LeFleur suddenly become a bad HC? Do we think Rodgers would suddenly get better if LeFleur went? Same with McVay and Stafford. Or Brady and Leftwich.

I'm not a believer that if the HC just did this secret handshake or said the magic word the QB would suddenly get better. Players have to take responsibility for their own bad play and put it right.

Nothing Kliff can do can stop Kyler trying to throw a 50 yard bomb into double coverage when only down 4 in the 3rd quarter.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The post above me is hilarious cause we’re literally in the process of watching Tua playing good ball for the first time in his career with a new HC & the same is happening to Daniel Jones with a new HC.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The post above me is hilarious cause we’re literally in the process of Tua playing good ball for the first time in his career with a new HC & the same is happening to Daniel Jones with a new HC.
Yeah. It's really reaching to compare your 25 year-old QB who hasn't even started his second contract to a 38 year-old, 34 year-old, and 45 year-old.

There's no question that Kliff isn't effectively helping Kyler get out of his funk. He's the easiest to replace. It is what it is.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
According to Slow News Day, Kliff is a minus favorite to be the next coach fired. Wow.
Since beating the Bears last year, we're 4-11 in our last 15 games. Anyone who still wants to talk about the 7-0 start is living in the past. That team is dead and gone, and this team shows no signs of anything other than regression.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't see this ending well with Kyler and Kliff combo.

One day the talk will be what terrible hire and then Kyler most overpaid/ overated quarterback.

Sad for cards fans
This board will implode when Kyler retires after this monster contract and moves to Cali to play baseball.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. It's really reaching to compare your 25 year-old QB who hasn't even started his second contract to a 38 year-old, 34 year-old, and 45 year-old.

There's no question that Kliff isn't effectively helping Kyler get out of his funk. He's the easiest to replace. It is what it is.

Not sure what age has to do with it. The point was QBs playing well below their normal level.

Kyler is currently on track to be worse than his rookie season after demanding to get paid as a top 3 player.

Jalen Hurts worked with Tom House in the offseason. Allen worked out with Palmer. Justin Herbert worked with a footwork coach.

Meanwhile our 4th year QB has never done that and is playing at a rookie level.

The future is bright.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

The future is bright.
Who is challenging him to be better? He already sees things nobody else sees,(lol) and was given his security blanket as a HC. The lack of development is totally unsurprising, and the longer he stays with Kliff, the greater risk of him never learning how to be a real NFL QB.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Justin Herbert is a interesting mention because he’s on pace to have his worst season. He is currently regressing.

But WR1s shouldn’t matter according to people on here I guess.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just don't know what any HC can do when your QB is playing bad football.

Has Matt LeFleur suddenly become a bad HC? Do we think Rodgers would suddenly get better if LeFleur went? Same with McVay and Stafford. Or Brady and Leftwich.

I'm not a believer that if the HC just did this secret handshake or said the magic word the QB would suddenly get better. Players have to take responsibility for their own bad play and put it right.

Nothing Kliff can do can stop Kyler trying to throw a 50 yard bomb into double coverage when only down 4 in the 3rd quarter.
Except call/design a play where that’s not an option? So . . . not “nothing.”

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not sure what age has to do with it. The point was QBs playing well below their normal level.

Kyler is currently on track to be worse than his rookie season after demanding to get paid as a top 3 player.

Jalen Hurts worked with Tom House in the offseason. Allen worked out with Palmer. Justin Herbert worked with a footwork coach.

The future is bright.

Because there's a more proximate cause of their failures than bad coaching. The personnel around most of them is clearly worse, and they're also aging players so decline is to be expected.

I don't think much of Matt LaFleur but I don't blame him for the Packers being janky AF. It's mostly on the personnel and Aaron Rodgers being worse.

You insisted all offseason that our personnel was no worse and probably better this year than it was last year. Kyler has gotten worse, and Kliff Kingsbury's #1 job is to fix that.

If he can't fix it, then they're going to fire the coach before they fire the QB.

Who is challenging him to be better? He already sees things nobody else sees,(lol) and was given his security blanket as a HC. The lack of development is totally unsurprising, and the longer he stays with Kliff, the greater risk of him never learning how to be a real NFL QB.
His dad.

Kyler probably doesn't like Kliff and think's he second-rate (@MaoTosiFanClub and @DVontel will tell you that Kliff IS second-rate). He's not Kyler's "security blanket."

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Except call/design a play where that’s not an option? So . . . not “nothing.”
I dunno, man. Last year during The Fall Kliff called a play that was 4 comebacks at the sticks. People hated that as well.

You want to have someone stretch the field vertically just to open up the field and pull a defender (or often two or three) away from the first couple of reads in the play design. This is a reason that you see Rondale Moore run a lot of go-nowhere patterns 6 yards behind the LOS, also — you want to try and hold a defender on that side of the field/close to the line. Kliff can't really control if Kyler decides he can get the ball out 25 yards downfield in a tight window.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I dunno, man. Last year during The Fall Kliff called a play that was 4 comebacks at the sticks. People hated that as well.

You want to have someone stretch the field vertically just to open up the field and pull a defender (or often two or three) away from the first couple of reads in the play design. This is a reason that you see Rondale Moore run a lot of go-nowhere patterns 6 yards behind the LOS, also — you want to try and hold a defender on that side of the field/close to the line. Kliff can't really control if Kyler decides he can get the ball out 25 yards downfield in a tight window.
Oh I get it. I understand the necessity of stretching the field. But the comment was kliff was helpless in reining in kylers desire to throw deep and that’s just not true.

And I was one of those haranguing kliff for the comebacks. That’s 3rd grade flag football garbage.