The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns prefer vets. They have made that pretty crystal clear. It would be nice to see some guys like this on the roster but I don't see it happening as long as we are in the "CP3" run. Monty wouldn't let them sniff the court and just be roster filler.

As examples, Chris Duarte ($3,936,960 ) is 25 going into his second season and TJ McConnell ($8,100,000) is a veteran.

Isaiah Jackson (20) only makes $2,573,760 going into his second season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now the Pacers can offer Ayton a 4 year/$110m offer-sheet.
They would be stupid not to just match that

That’s Brunson just got
27.5M per year is an easy match. Ayton would be making about 2/3 of what Gobert makes per year on average and less than Abedayo, JJJ, and MPJ.

All should be easy decisions to match.

Maybe that's why the Pacers are not forcing the issue and trying to find a sign-and-trade to the Suns liking.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Pacers dont like offer sheets, and I’d bet one of Ayton’s reservations about signing an offer sheet is the fear that the Suns will match. Probably hoping for a S&T

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As examples, Chris Duarte ($3,936,960 ) is 25 going into his second season and TJ McConnell ($8,100,000) is a veteran.

Isaiah Jackson (20) only makes $2,573,760 going into his second season.
I gotcha. I would love to see at least a couple slots for young guys. I am just saying the Suns don’t seem to value them at this stage. Not during the CP3 run.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Jazz need a Center and we need a Donovan Mitchell in ShameTs spot, make it happen.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Jazz need a Center and we need a Donovan Mitchell in ShameTs spot, make it happen.

I'd settle for Clarkson and picks. Mitchell is overpaid and redundant here with Book and Paul. Clarkson would be an excellent Sixth Man here to back them up. He can create his on offense and set up others.

I'd prefer that to the Indiana deal also. Turner is so-so. I'd rather have someone like Clarkson and hope we can flip a pick for a starting Center.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd settle for Clarkson and picks. Mitchell is overpaid and redundant here with Book and Paul. Clarkson would be an excellent Sixth Man here to back them up. He can create his on offense and set up others.
Why not both? The Pacers are about to F up the whole DA thing by being greedy. How about we say F the Pacers and deal with Utah.
You cant as a man tell me with a straight face that you would have Myles Turner over DM. Plus it seems like we could have used a lil redundancy last year, no?

Id have DA over both but it seems Monte is butthurt beyond all recognition and cant as a grown up and a coach somehow reconcile with a 24 yr old.
BUSHLEAGUE

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
27.5M per year is an easy match. Ayton would be making about 2/3 of what Gobert makes per year on average and less than Abedayo, JJJ, and MPJ.

Yeah, I don't care how mad he is about it. I'd match that and see if his affable nature cures old wounds or just trade him down the line. That contract would be very moveable, no matter how ugly things get.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
The names being tossed around for Ayton are laughable. Maybe it makes sense to move him for Durant, but if they ship him out for a bunch of garbage we will regret it.

Ayton is a generational talent with a gaming/maturity problem. We should be talking about shipping out CP3 and Monty instead. Get the kid signed and keep it moving!

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score

I'd prefer that to the Indiana deal also. Turner is so-so. I'd rather have someone like Clarkson and hope we can flip a pick for a starting Center.
At this point i would take Capela & Bogdonovich from the ATL. If they would do it.

Reaction score
I'm pleased to hear the Ayton-to-Pacers rumors reviving. I would rather he stay, not leave; but if traded at all, I would be happy to see him go to the Pacers, partly because they have some players I like and partly because Ayton would be on an Eastern team that is not currently a championship contender or even a playoff contender. (Although you'd suppose it very well could become the latter, if it had Ayton.)

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
According to Hoopshype, if Ayton takes the one-year escape contract, it's very unlikely he would be traded during that year. He can't be traded at all until January 15, and after that, he has a veto clause. Even worse, though, is that he loses his Bird rights if traded in that scenario, which means that the maximum salary he can command in his next contract is much less. So accepting a trade would mean sacrificing his next big contract, which means he wouldn't do it. He'd want to play hard to show off his value, probably, but how much incentive would the Suns have to play him, especially in the season's waning months?

Edit: Never mind, that restriction would apply only if his new team lacks the cap space to give him a larger deal.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pleased to hear the Ayton-to-Pacers rumors reviving. I would rather he stay, not leave; but if traded at all, I would be happy to see him go to the Pacers, partly because they have some players I like and partly because Ayton would be on an Eastern team that is not currently a championship contender or even a playoff contender. (Although you'd suppose it very well could become the latter, if it had Ayton.)
I hadn't noticed they'd died down? It seems like it's remained the only hot rumor in town. I can't fathom it. The Pacers have some young talent that could make our giveaway more palatable but I've seen no credible rumors suggesting they are willing to do so. And failing that, I find no logic in participating in a trade with them. But here we are.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Why not both? The Pacers are about to F up the whole DA thing by being greedy. How about we say F the Pacers and deal with Utah.
You cant as a man tell me with a straight face that you would have Myles Turner over DM. Plus it seems like we could have used a lil redundancy last year, no?

Id have DA over both but it seems Monte is butthurt beyond all recognition and cant as a grown up and a coach somehow reconcile with a 24 yr old.
BUSHLEAGUE
Kinda looks that way with Monty of course it could be much deeper. We will probably never know. Monty had to be embarrassed by his playoff coaching or rather lack of coaching and wanted to blame it all on a talented immature 23 year who really needs mentoring. Instead of reconciling and making everyone responsible Monty seems to have chosen the opposite

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If this doesn't happen today something is up. The cap space if officially available. Either the Suns want more from the Pacers or there is a possible 3 way trade being negotiated. At this point there is no reason for this not to happen otherwise. Either an offer sheet or sign and trade should go down today.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a conundrum. Ayton provides so much but at the same time so little. He has limited roles but is quite effective at them. He provides just a little more than defensive numbers suggest by altering shots. He's underwhelming in the scoring column but does it efficiently, although his rebounding numbers are in the double digits the same could be said as well. Ayton is a 3rd or 4th option on this team but his limited role is a defensive anchor, while his scoring role is limited by his mindset. I can see why the suns dont want to outright pay the guy.
I agree. I realize that they couldn't do to Ayton what they did to Ayton.

Like i said earlier, it is a conundrum. He will get the max and is worth the max. But as i also said, it will be a mistake.

edit: i should add, mistake as in crippling us financially which will not allow us to keep our depth we've been having the luxury of having.

I guess my views have changed, he's not max worthy. Should he get 25+, yes but not the max. The league views him the same.
Its such an odd thing with Ayton, he plays so good some times, has a lot of impact when he's focused. But then we all know the shortcomings and his attitude towards the game. Suns are still in fighting themselves, trying to get a max return for a non max player. Conundrum.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this doesn't happen today something is up. The cap space if officially available. Either the Suns want more from the Pacers or there is a possible 3 way trade being negotiated. At this point there is no reason for this not to happen otherwise. Either an offer sheet or sign and trade should go down today.

Although a sign-and-trade couldn't be completed until Brogdon completed his physical there was plenty of time to put the pieces together. Agree, there has to be more to it if it drags on after today. An offer sheet should be ready to go as well if the Pacers go that direction.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

BUSHLEAGUE

Let’s be real the two biggest reasons the Suns lost to the Mavs were Chris Paul and Monty Williams

With Chris I said at the time he had to be hurt. Hurt or Covid or whatever that fall off from game 2 was something like I’ve never seen from a star player.

Monty was embarrassed again. Once Kidd adjusted he just had no answers at all. 20-0 run? Monty sits on the bench and squints his eyes.

You hear guys complain Ayton didn’t take over against the Mavs. Like Ayton said I can’t pass it to myself. We never changed we never tried to bang it inside. It was clear Paul wasn’t 100% and he still ran him out there to try and run the same offense

So now Ayton is Monty’s scape goat and Monty is gonna let it happen. However when Ayton is gone and Monty still can’t cut it he’s gonna be the next one out the door and the Suns would have chosen a lame duck coach over a 23 year old talent.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let’s be real the two biggest reasons the Suns lost to the Mavs were Chris Paul and Monty Williams

With Chris I said at the time he had to be hurt. Hurt or Covid or whatever that fall off from game 2 was something like I’ve never seen from a star player.

Monty was embarrassed again. Once Kidd adjusted he just had no answers at all. 20-0 run? Monty sits on the bench and squints his eyes.

You hear guys complain Ayton didn’t take over against the Mavs. Like Ayton said I can’t pass it to myself. We never changed we never tried to bang it inside. It was clear Paul wasn’t 100% and he still ran him out there to try and run the same offense

So now Ayton is Monty’s scape goat and Monty is gonna let it happen. However when Ayton is gone and Monty still can’t cut it he’s gonna be the next one out the door and the Suns would have chosen a lame duck coach over a 23 year old talent.

I dont know of anyone/media that has said it was Aytons fault we lost. Who see's Ayton as the scapegoat?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Are you serious? Ayton was visibly pulled, and in spite of many others playing much worse than him, Ayton got a ton of blame.
If you want to have an argument about whether Ayton is a gutless wimp, that's fine, but Ayton isn't getting any more of the "blame" than anyone else. The only difference at all is that there was the very public berating by Monty. Who was right by the way, but nobody talks about THAT. Ayton did quit on the team. So did everyone else. You have no idea what he said to other players, it's arrogant presumption that Ayton was the only skapegoat.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If you want to have an argument about whether Ayton is a gutless wimp, that's fine,
What an odd thing to say! Who ever claimed that he's a gutless wimp?
but Ayton isn't getting any more of the "blame" than anyone else. The only difference at all is that there was the very public berating by Monty.
You realize that you're first statement completely contradicts your second, right?
it's arrogant presumption that Ayton was the only skapegoat.
Wut? You just described how he WAS scapegoated?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Monty, intentionally or unintentionally, made DA the scapegoat after the G7 massacre; which shadowed Chris Paul's indifference he displayed for most of the series.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Malcolm Brogdon has a press conference with the Celtics.

Any remaining doubt about his physical holding up movement with Ayton is removed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson