The Ayton Plan

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a vacuum, Bridges is the one who should be leaving, not Ayton. But since DA wants no business being a Sun, he's gonna have to be in a package. To get Durant, It's going to cost DA and Bridges. No two ways about it.

I think of any of the proposals, trading for Durant is the only one that makes sense for this team. If JJ can somehow convince DA to want to stay and be committed to the cause that's the second best option. Every other proposal I've seen is garbage.
I don't know, that Poeltl plus Murray one sounds intriguing.

Seriously though, Poeltl and draft picks might be the best we can possibly hope for if DA insists on leaving - especially now that Detroit's draft night success has apparently taken them out of the market.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a vacuum, Bridges is the one who should be leaving, not Ayton. But since DA wants no business being a Sun, he's gonna have to be in a package. To get Durant, It's going to cost DA and Bridges. No two ways about it.

I think of any of the proposals, trading for Durant is the only one that makes sense for this team. If JJ can somehow convince DA to want to stay and be committed to the cause that's the second best option. Every other proposal I've seen is garbage.

In regard to the part in bold, do you know something we don't?

I haven't heard Ayton doesn't want to be a Sun any longer.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
In regard to the part in bold, do you know something we don't?

I haven't heard Ayton doesn't want to be a Sun any longer.
This weekend, Someone I trust who has some inside knowledge told me he wants to play elsewhere and it would take more than $$$ to get his buy in again. Take that FWIW.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This weekend, Someone I trust who has some inside knowledge told me he wants to play elsewhere and it would take more than $$$ to get his buy in again. Take that FWIW.

The Suns should offer Ayton a better contract (by a considerable margin) than anyone else before he entertains an offer sheet.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is my favorite part about message board banter. Someone calls someone a “bust,” wants them traded, and then thinks that “bust” has enough value to get a kings ransom in return.
Posters using hyperbole? Shocking!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If that's the case, then get rid of him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nope. Do what is best for the team. Call that bluff if necessary. You just do not let yourself get painted into a corner that way.
Yeah, you're probably right. I just hate having people around who don't want to be around - it's bad for everyone.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We really don't know what has transpired between Ayton and the Suns behind the scene.
Absolutely - but it doesn't take Hercule Poirot to tell that things are bad.

If the Suns are able to sign Ayton to a below max deal, that would be awesome, but if things fall apart, then they'll have been too clever by half.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns are able to sign Ayton to a below max deal, that would be awesome, but if things fall apart, then they'll have been too clever by half.
This. I don't really know how much friction or how bad it is but it's obvious between comments from the Agent, how previous talks never transpired, and all the trade talk those things are not roses. Don't need to be a detective there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

At this point, neither side is able to talk freely. Let's see what happens when free agency opens.

Personally I would have signed Ayton to the max last summer.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Personally I would have signed Ayton to the max last summer.
Me too...I'll play hardball all day with Patrick Peterson type players at the end of their careers because you're paying for what they've done, not what they will do.

Guys like Ayton/Kyler are worth paying BECAUSE they're so young, and should get better.

Messing around with players in their mid 20's who could be good for a decade seems really dumb.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too...I'll play hardball all day with Patrick Peterson type players at the end of their careers because you're paying for what they've done, not what they will do.

Guys like Ayton/Kyler are worth paying BECAUSE they're so young, and should get better.

Messing around with players in their mid 20's who could be good for a decade seems really dumb.
Even though I think we could potentially parlay Ayton into huge missing pieces the likelihood is low. Not even sure if a premier center is necessary for a title. Having said that? You can't shed a player from your roster if it doesn't improve your roster. If that is the case, resign him. End this.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We agree. I think the Ayton contract situation has been mishandled. I'm still hoping the Suns can make lemonade out of lemons.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t help but think about what Colangelo would’ve done in this situation. My guess is he would’ve paid DA last offseason so this isn’t a thing.

Jerry Colangelo would have tried to work things out. The Suns wasn't such a secretive organization back then.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t help but think about what Colangelo would’ve done in this situation. My guess is he would’ve paid DA last offseason so this isn’t a thing.
I think Colangelo proved with the D-Backs he was willing to put it all out there and damn the consequences financially down the road. The NBA is a tad different, but I never got the impression Jerry was the type of owner to stand in the way.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Brooklyn moved from +3000 to +700 to land Ayton on DraftKings!
Can you post that? For some reason it's blocked at work. HA! Actually there is a good reason it's blocked even with my elevated access.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
All the gambling sites are scrambling right now...too much smoke/circumstance that makes sense at this point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson