Currently, What do you Fear most regarding the Cards and the Upcoming Season?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’m sorry, but I just don’t know how you think this secondary is going to be so bad, especially after today’s signing. Butler just gave us an UPGRADE over Peterson who was one of the worst CBs in football last year. And our other starting CB was even WORSE. If we picked up a Kirkpatrick late in training camp, I.T ain’t gonna be hard to find a replacement level player of his stature or lack thereof.

Reality is last year we had two of the worst starting CBs in football and we still didn’t lose because of shootouts with that duo manning the CB position. So why would we this year when we’ve already upgraded one position, still have the draft and FA after to find another to replace Kirkpatrick’s craptastic ass, combined with what should be just as good of a pass rush, if if not better if Watt stays healthy?
The hate for Patrick Peterson has gone too far here. Malcolm Butler gave up 27 more receptions, 211 more yards, and the same amount of TDs as Peterson. He only had one more INT. He was slightly more efficient, but he was targeted a whopping 127 times, 48 more times than Peterson, so obviously no one was afraid of throwing the ball his way. Even with that extra volume, Butler only defended 6 more passes than PP21. Whether Peterson's reputation is still owed or not, it's obviously there, and isn't for Butler.

PFF's grades are the only place Butler is a clear cut better player, so color me skeptical. I'm fine with the concept of preferring the cost of Butler to the play of Peterson for less scratch, but that doesn't mean play has improved.

Then there's CB #2, where we'll likely be starting a rookie, and two of the top four guys are woefully inexperienced. (Farley and Newsome.) I don't trust rookies to succeed in this role either way. The last time we started a rookie on the outside (Murphy), he graded out sub-50.0. The "can't miss" Jeff Okudah that many on this board wanted to draft last year ended up with a 42.0 grade. It's just so volatile for rookies that I can't feel confident right now when everyone and their mom knows we want a CB, so I believe at least 2-3 will come off the board before we pick, leaving us last to choose. I have a feeling mental errors will leave us with a CB less prepared than Kirkpatrick, if the rookie even plays at all, seeing as Vance doesn't like to get rookies on the field. I bet we'll begin with an Alford that hasn't played a full season in 5 years, or any football in nearly 3.

Pass rush will be slightly better assuming health, but assuming health is a very scary thing with some of these players.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
1)The CB's has been replaced so are u referring about CBS plays last season, safeties are good
Butler is good and a cb will be drafted, passrush improved too with jj and Jones back, so I expect the cb unit being adequate

2) Edmonds isn't a primary back, we will get a starter by draft or free agency

3) kyler after 2 season on his back will continue improving, I expect a WR addition by draft, some shifty guys with great hands
1) Our safeties don't do their best work in coverage. We all know that. See above for my feelings on the new CBs. Butler is not as good as some of you seem to think.

2) There's still a fair amount of people here saying Edmonds will be the starter and some late round pick will be added, which combines into your 3rd point...

3) No knock on Kyler whatsoever, this isn't his fault, but I find it hard to believe he's going to dramatically improve when in terms of offensive weapons, we subtracted a nearly 1,000 yard RB, his favorite TE target, and Fitz, to be replaced by an ancient WR coming off of down seasons and injury. You're saying we're adding a shifty WR in the draft, but where? We only have 6 picks, and only two are really in the "will contribute this year" area. We need CB, RB, TE, WR, and don't have the slots to make meaningful moves there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler getting beat up and then injured should always be the greatest fear for an upcoming season. Nothing else really matters.

Really don't want to see another backup quarterback that Kliff Kingsbury dials up.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uff, Solar, Butler is an upgrade, the fact has been targeted more is just because the opponent’s qb had all the time in the world to throw the ball and in Nowdays nfl is a substantial difference
Do u know Tennessee Titans passrush was abysmal?
Do u really think butler is a a downgrade for the position?
Did u watch our cb last year or u just watch the offense?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hate for Patrick Peterson has gone too far here. Malcolm Butler gave up 27 more receptions, 211 more yards, and the same amount of TDs as Peterson. He only had one more INT. He was slightly more efficient, but he was targeted a whopping 127 times, 48 more times than Peterson, so obviously no one was afraid of throwing the ball his way. Even with that extra volume, Butler only defended 6 more passes than PP21. Whether Peterson's reputation is still owed or not, it's obviously there, and isn't for Butler.

PFF's grades are the only place Butler is a clear cut better player, so color me skeptical. I'm fine with the concept of preferring the cost of Butler to the play of Peterson for less scratch, but that doesn't mean play has improved.

Then there's CB #2, where we'll likely be starting a rookie, and two of the top four guys are woefully inexperienced. (Farley and Newsome.) I don't trust rookies to succeed in this role either way. The last time we started a rookie on the outside (Murphy), he graded out sub-50.0. The "can't miss" Jeff Okudah that many on this board wanted to draft last year ended up with a 42.0 grade. It's just so volatile for rookies that I can't feel confident right now when everyone and their mom knows we want a CB, so I believe at least 2-3 will come off the board before we pick, leaving us last to choose. I have a feeling mental errors will leave us with a CB less prepared than Kirkpatrick, if the rookie even plays at all, seeing as Vance doesn't like to get rookies on the field. I bet we'll begin with an Alford that hasn't played a full season in 5 years, or any football in nearly 3.

Pass rush will be slightly better assuming health, but assuming health is a very scary thing with some of these players.

Sorry but the idea that Peterson is better than Butler while EVERY METRIC shows he wasn’t just wreaks of someone who is loathe to admit he was wrong that they couldn’t replace him and even further that we needed to FRANCHISE PEDerson’s washed ass.

the reality is neither guy is what they were, but they at the very least are comparable cover guys while Butler actually plays the entire game, much better in run support and as far as we know doesn’t quit on plays like Peterson does. With coverage being equal, those two things vault him over Peterson’s primadonna act both on and off the field.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sorry but the idea that Peterson is better than Butler while EVERY METRIC shows he wasn’t just wreaks of someone who is loathe to admit he was wrong that they couldn’t replace him and even further that we needed to FRANCHISE PEDerson’s washed ass.

the reality is neither guy is what they were, but they at the very least are comparable cover guys while Butler actually plays the entire game, much better in run support and as far as we know doesn’t quit on plays like Peterson does. With coverage being equal, those two things vault him over Peterson’s primadonna act both on and off the field.
Did you even read my post? I gave you MULTIPLE metrics in which Butler was far behind Peterson last year. I understand people are grumpy about PEDs and diva behavior, but it doesn't make the facts any less the facts. If Butler and Peterson have the exact same season next year, Peterson will come out the winner.

Why are we acting like Butler is some paragon of behavior and leadership when he got BENCHED FOR THE SUPER BOWL?

Also, you ignored any rookie/Alford thoughts. Last I checked, multiple CBs play at once.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My biggest fear is leadership. KK's laid back personality was reflected by the undiciplined performance of the team last year, which led the NFL in penalties.

Kyle and DeAndre are great players but are not vocal leaders and prefer to let their play speak for them. JJ Watt is going to help keep the team focused I would think.

Last year the Cardinals struggled in the 2nd half of the season after getting off to a great start. But if they struggle again this year, my fear is that the team will have given up on KK. And if KM gets hurt again the team will suck. Will Murray become disenfranchised with the Cardinals front office? Will he turn to MLB?

My biggest fear is that we currently don't have enough talent on this team to get to the playoffs. And if the Cardinals pick up where they left off last year, on a downward trajectory, I worry the team will have lost faith in KK.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
KM getting injured and Colt McCoy being the QB. Better than The Leveler but that's not saying much. We've seen how that movie ends.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1) Our safeties don't do their best work in coverage. We all know that. See above for my feelings on the new CBs. Butler is not as good as some of you seem to think.

2) There's still a fair amount of people here saying Edmonds will be the starter and some late round pick will be added, which combines into your 3rd point...

3) No knock on Kyler whatsoever, this isn't his fault, but I find it hard to believe he's going to dramatically improve when in terms of offensive weapons, we subtracted a nearly 1,000 yard RB, his favorite TE target, and Fitz, to be replaced by an ancient WR coming off of down seasons and injury. You're saying we're adding a shifty WR in the draft, but where? We only have 6 picks, and only two are really in the "will contribute this year" area. We need CB, RB, TE, WR, and don't have the slots to make meaningful moves there.

To suggest that Drake's 955 yards at $8M and Arnold's 31 catches can't be replaced is pessimism beyond the pale and if Green is ancient, Fitz is Methuselah.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Uff, Solar, Butler is an upgrade, the fact has been targeted more is just because the opponent’s qb had all the time in the world to throw the ball and in Nowdays nfl is a substantial difference
Sorry, didn't see this because I was on my phone.

I don't think Butler is a significant upgrade over Peterson, no.

I've watched Butler start for New England after his Super Bowl miracle, and thought he was overrated. I thought the Titans overpaid him in free agency. I haven't ever thought he was particularly good, and at 31 years old I don't have a ton of faith in a guy who ran a 4.62 as a 23 year old to not lose even more of a step.

Listen, I have no problem with the Butler signing. It's cheap, we needed a body, and outside of Nelson you can argue he was the best available. But best available of really bad is still not enough to allay my fears about the position, and that's what this thread is about - fears.

Different doesn't equal better.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
To suggest that Drake's 955 yards at $8M and Arnold's 31 catches can't be replaced is pessimism beyond the pale and if Green is ancient, Fitz is Methuselah.

We haven't made any moves to replace that production yet, though, and opportunity is thinning vs. the assets we have. As I said in another thread:

"At this point we've replaced 163 targets, 110 receptions, 984 yards, and 5 TDs with one guy who was responsible for 104 targets, 47 receptions, 523 yards, and 2 TDs."

And that was without accounting for Drake's rushing, just his receiving numbers. As of right now that's a tremendous net loss. Fournette is off the board, so we'd better hope we can hit on RB in the draft, otherwise we'd better pray Edmonds is up to a 17 game season before we end up with a cooked Todd Gurley or Duke Johnson taking significant snaps.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We haven't made any moves to replace that production yet, though, and opportunity is thinning vs. the assets we have. As I said in another thread:

"At this point we've replaced 163 targets, 110 receptions, 984 yards, and 5 TDs with one guy who was responsible for 104 targets, 47 receptions, 523 yards, and 2 TDs."

And that was without accounting for Drake's rushing, just his receiving numbers. As of right now that's a tremendous net loss. Fournette is off the board, so we'd better hope we can hit on RB in the draft, otherwise we'd better pray Edmonds is up to a 17 game season before we end up with a cooked Todd Gurley or Duke Johnson taking significant snaps.

You do realize that these numbers are absolutely irrelevant to the upcoming season, right?

P.S. look down to the right on your computer and check today's date. This may help with your never-ending gloom.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If Butler can play at the same level as PP and be better in run support then it's an incremental positive.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You do realize that these numbers are absolutely irrelevant to the upcoming season, right?

P.S. look down to the right on your computer and check today's date. This may help with your never-ending gloom.
The numbers are relevant because past performance is an indicator of future performance.

Everything I say is based on where we are today and potential outcomes. I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend oft-injured, old guys are going to return to their glory years, or guys that have never shown anything in the NFL are suddenly going to become superstars. I'm looking at the most likely outcomes given where we stand.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Aging roster.
Poor player development.
A much tougher schedule.
A coach who has much to learn.
A GM who has a proven track record of poor drafts.

8 to 9 wins..... tops.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The numbers are relevant because past performance is an indicator of future performance.

Everything I say is based on where we are today and potential outcomes. I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend oft-injured, old guys are going to return to their glory years, or guys that have never shown anything in the NFL are suddenly going to become superstars. I'm looking at the most likely outcomes given where we stand.

Your first sentence is pure poppycock when it comes to the unknowns and variables of the upcoming season.

You can doubt players, coaches etc. but you have no special insight. Yours is simply an endless rationalization of naysaying.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Titans had 19 total sacks on the season. That’s the lowest ever from a playoff team lol that’s absolutely insane

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson