Diaw
Stoudemire

versus

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Crowder
Ayton

2006 Nash was a 12.6 win shares player by himself. Marion also rang in with 12 WS.

As great as CP3 and Booker are, they aren't with these two. Now toss in prime Amare versus Ayton

yeah starting lineup of 2006 is clearly better, but this team has a better bench.

But yes 2006 team is the better team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty says it was a dominant defensive performance by Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He was really good defensively tonight.

offense still leaving a lot to be desired though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean that’s how some people judge success I guess

You can really say that after watching this team the past decade? The goal is to win it all but making the playoffs IS an accomplishment.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

His offense was more than enough. If Ayton can give us that level of effort every night we are a threat to any team.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wins against quality opponents on the East Coast I love to see the view of the opposing team.

Their thread title was "Devin Armani Booker vs Miami Heat"

Some fun posts:

Armani Booker is giving us a 2nd butthole so far I see. Nothing changes, kid is the steal of the 2015 draft

Why are the weaker players attacking the rim with Ayton there?

They have 4 players in double figure scoring and we have none lol. Hard L incoming.

You're telling me we could have had Chris Paul for chump change?

This coach falls in love with his own smell. (Chris here but LOL)

i'll remember you fondly, iggie's vacation time (also hilarous)

We have got to be the worst offensive team in the league.

Sucks for Herro to be leaving Miami so early in his nba career. Good luck in Toronto buddy, buy yourself a nice winter jacket and please don’t go get coffee at Tim Hortons. Place is garbage

This was much worse than a 10 point loss. Losing streak gaining momentum. Riley better not stand pat with this roster.
You must be registered for see images attach

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that east coast fans still think we are just Booker BTW and also, they are in LOVE with Booker.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah starting lineup of 2006 is clearly better, but this team has a better bench.

they were also much more battle tested for the playoffs... which ultimately didn’t matter when they got Spur’d as usual.

overall, I think the two teams are similar only in their overall stories. Both teams had a bunch of really good young talent that just were a little rudderless. Then they brought in an older captain to steady the ship and the entire team took off.

but they are almost diametrically opposed stylistically. The 2004 team was run and gun, ball never stopped. This squad grounds and pounds the ball with CP3, with some good ball movement. This years squad plays D at another level compared to the 2004-5 squad. And this year our bench is DEEEEP. In 2004-5 there was literally no bench outside of Jimmy Jackson and sometimes Stevie Hunter.

I fear inexperience gets the best of us this season. Most teams just put together need a year or two, especially young ones. But I think next year, if we make the right moves to continue to build this squad and our young guys all take another step forward and CP3 can maintain, we can be legitimate title contenders.

then again, this whole season is a bizarro season so I think we even have a solid dark horse shot as long as everyone’s healthy.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed deep but the 2006 bench was Barbosa, Kurt Thomas, Jalen Rose, and James Jones.

I have no idea how that team lost except for David Stern (RIH)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solid interview with Jae Crowder talking about Ayton's defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says the combination for Ayton is "force and focus."

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I will definitely take this version of Deandre Ayton: 17 points (8-12 from field), 16 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 blocks.

When he puts the whole package together offensively and defensively he will be one heck of a player.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Overall the 2006 starting lineup of:

Nash
Raja
Marion
Diaw
Stoudemire

versus

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Crowder
Ayton

2006 Nash was a 12.6 win shares player by himself. Marion also rang in with 12 WS.

As great as CP3 and Booker are, they aren't with these two. Now toss in prime Amare versus Ayton
But the nash suns’ bench was always dreadful where’s the current suns bench is a big strength. The nash suns were maybe more fun to watch - dazzling athletes with a mercurial point guard, but the current suns are a much more complete team and so much better defensively. Would’ve been an interesting battle.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed deep but the 2006 bench was Barbosa, Kurt Thomas, Jalen Rose, and James Jones.

I have no idea how that team lost except for David Stern (RIH)

that was all Pringles. He had that team wound so freaking tight, bitching about every damn call like it was the end of the world, that all Pop had to do was push a couple buttons and they would explode.

which is exactly what happened.

also, DA should have started KT in Game 1. It was idiotic to start James Jones and go small against that Spurs team, where we blew HCA... again to them. He put them behind the eight ball in a pick ‘em series right from the start.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Tonight, other than the debacle of the first three possessions, Ayton was dominant. On both ends of the floor. He was active. And he found the right spots offensively and defensively. Even with some of his more explosive offensive games, I think tonight was one of his very best all around games.

overall really dominant performance by suns. Bridges, cam, crowder, and Craig really showed what waves of active 3-D guys can do. And that doesn’t even count Nader. Super impressive start to the roadie.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nader is going to lose minutes to Craig. Easy to get frustrated with Ayton, but when he's good, he's really good.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Shout out to the bench crew maintaining the lead to get the starters valuable rest heading into a back to back. Cam Johnson with some timely 3s to stem a couple runs.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Nader is going to lose minutes to Craig. Easy to get frustrated with Ayton, but when he's good, he's really good.
This is why we stay frustrated with Ayton. He could literally be a top 8 to 10 player in the league if he was that combo of force & focus Monty spoke about. Just add in some experience, and maybe more FT attempts per game and we'd be set.

#PrayingForConsistency

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Still only 22. A lot more consistent than Mikal was as that age.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why we stay frustrated with Ayton. He could literally be a top 8 to 10 player in the league if he was that combo of force & focus Monty spoke about. Just add in some experience, and maybe more FT attempts per game and we'd be set.

#PrayingForConsistency

I don't know, I think he's already a top 8 player when he plays like he did against the Heat even if he never makes a trip to the free throw line. But that was probably the best all around game he's had in a month and a half, just imagine if he played with that kind of focus every night.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I swear Ayton had at least 6 blocks even though the box score says 3.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson